A Bit Underwhelmed (and Concerned)

Howie58

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

In sheep's clothing!

In truth, that is basically our plan to take you guys over. When you least expect it, your harmless friends to the North will pounce with our poutine and beaver hats. 

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

Fletcher has had one draft and one off season.  To say all future success will be due to the work of someone else is silly. What if all these prospects Hextall brought in go in to be nothing more than decent players? Is that his fault too?

I am anxious to hear what comments will be made if Hayes has a stellar season and the defense is lights out

Well I didn't say ALL future success...I said it will have more to do with Hextallls acquisitions than Fletchers.

Hextall is the ONLY GM Philly has had in decades (if not ever) that used plenty of high draft picks on defence AND goaltending. We're just starting to see his picks coming into the NHL, and they include Provorov and Sanheim (and Myers who he signed for free) and Hart. 

If Hayes has a stellar year...great. What if he DOESN'T have SEVEN of them? Cause that's how long he's signed for. If the D is lights out, Hextall deserves more credit than Fletcher. He built it...Fletcher tweaked it.

Edited by flyercanuck

6 hours ago, King Knut said:

Then you know that a D man isn't going to cover for a forward as well as another forward who's literally on the ice with him every shift.  

I'm not talking about helping him with his taxes or finding a good roofer. 

We're not seriously having this discussion, are we?

Did you even read my posts?

5 hours ago, vis said:

Part of the reason for bringing in Niskanen and Braun was to help mentor and provide leadership for the young dmen.  Williams could fill that role among the forwards, and perhaps overall.

Maybe I misunderstand, but you don't think filling the leadership/veteran void, particularly on defense, is a sound rationale for trading for Niskanen/Braun?  Granted it shouldn't be the sole reason, but surely the team needed to address that deficiency among the d-men, no? 

No, i think its a very good rationale for teading for those guys,  and I think it was a good move.

My post was directed toward those who think it was a mistake

I give up. Sarcasm is not my strong suit. I also assume way too much in expecting that my other posts get read, making my position on the matter obvious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of underwhelming sad how Steve Mason's career ended.

Hard to believe Steve is 3rd all time in games played by a goalie.

1st Hextall 489

2nd Parent 486

3rd Mason 231

4th Favell 215

5th Peeters 179

2nd all time in save percentage 918%

Man that is a representation of a terrible stretch of where the crease was a turnstile it seems.

Flyers haven't had a 50 goal scorer since 1997-98.

Flyers haven't had a 40 goal scorer since Jeff Carter's 46 in 2008-09.

Alex Oven-chicken has score 50 6 times since then.

Crazy. 

Haven't had a goalie win 40+ games since Pelle Lindbergh in 1984-85.

Closest since Hextall 37 in 1986-87.

Hope some of that changes in the future....

Haven't had a Stanley Cup since 75

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well I didn't say ALL future success...I said it will have more to do with Hextallls acquisitions than Fletchers.

Hextall is the ONLY GM Philly has had in decades (if not ever) that used plenty of high draft picks on defence AND goaltending. We're just starting to see his picks coming into the NHL, and they include Provorov and Sanheim (and Myers who he signed for free) and Hart. 

If Hayes has a stellar year...great. What if he DOESN'T have SEVEN of them? Cause that's how long he's signed for. If the D is lights out, Hextall deserves more credit than Fletcher. He built it...Fletcher tweaked it.

Absolutely,  just think of the majority of our defenseman over the last 40 plus years, we never had many homegrown defenseman that amounted to anything other than Bladon, Jim Watson, Behn Wilson, Yuskevich, Eriksson and a couple of others. We always had to trade for defense...Dailey, Galley, Howe, McCrimmon, Svoboda, Haller, Dykhuis, Markov,  Wells, Desjardins, Timmonen, Pronger, the list is endless. 

Lack of defensive depth cost us the 1980 cup, Busniuk Bathe and Barnes didnt even belong in the NHL. Piss poor goaltending cost us countless playoff series and a pathetic third pair and horrible goaltending cost us the 2010 Cup. If we had defense and goaltending during the Legion of Doom years we could have been a dynasty, we ran Desjardins and Timonen into the ground because the other dmen were not capable of playing solid minutes, we always relied too much on one defenseman. And other than his first two years ,Hextall sucked in the playoffs and gave up 30 foot 5 hole goals and flopped around the ice.

Our previous GMs didnt think it was important to get a dominant goalie and a deep defense in spite of those deficiencies being the very reason we lost year after year.

In 5 years Hextall drafted more skilled defenseman than in the past 40 years combined. He also got us the best young goalie since Lindbergh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If Hayes has a stellar year...great. What if he DOESN'T have SEVEN of them?

What if he has one, and it leads to a Stanley Cup?

Was it worth it?

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

What if he has one, and it leads to a Stanley Cup?

Was it worth it?

If we win a cup that's all i care about.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from Hayes...but remember his impact from the playoffs that just finished. That's right...there wasn't any. Positive, that is.

Frost and Farabee need to stay in the AHL and learn the grueling schedule and higher level of speed and competition. Period.

I don't want to short change their projection and stunt their progression like Patrick. I was rooting for him to make the team but new very well that it might seem fun and exciting as the new season started and yet, it hasn't helped his development. Ya we got to be excited for half a season and parts of another. That's why NAK or Voyby should be the only candidates to be given a shot and the others to stay and learn the game pace and speed. I know they can have more talent then the other two most likely but that doesn't mean you cut their lessons to be the best they can be, just because they're better than others ahead of them. They still need to learn their lessons and experience the experience of what it's like in another league's grueling schedule and competition.

Fan wise and fun wise, awesome bring them up, ooh neat look how they skate, look how they move and shoot. Then when they hit a wall...no thanks. It's not in their best interest, I want them the organization set them up to win, and put them in a position to succeed.

They're not contracters, that are here for only fill in spots for a little while, they're our franchise players who should be put in a position to succeed.

I'm of the few who didn't like to see Rinaldo traded. He stood up to his team mates, he knew how to hit and had hands enough to score some. I'm hoping NAK can bring the same style and score some goals 5v5. If they need to put Laughts as 3RW and Pitlick 4C to bring in NAK at 4RW, then do it. But would prefer NAK at 3RW, actually TK at 3RW, but that wouldn't help out the 1RW situation at all.

Vorr, Rubs, Ratt, Frost and Farr need to spend time in the AHL, Vorr and Rubs - to complete there term and Ratt, Frost and Farr to get the higher experience and learn the grueling season of what professional hockey is like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not sure what you're expecting from Hayes...but remember his impact from the playoffs that just finished. That's right...there wasn't any. Positive, that is.

I'm not expecting anything. I don't know what we're going to get. I'm just not going to assume the worst because everything up till now hasn't worked. I am looking forward to a new season with a new lineup and different results. I choose to be optimistic

I'm also not the least bit concerned about the contract or the length of the contract. It doesn't bother me one bit.

In 7 years you can tell me, "I told you so"

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm not expecting anything. I don't know what we're going to get. I'm just not going to assume the worst because everything up till now hasn't worked. I am looking forward to a new season with a new lineup and different results. I choose to be optimistic

I'm also not the least bit concerned about the contract or the length of the contract. It doesn't bother me one bit.

In 7 years you can tell me, "I told you so"

I won't remember. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

We're not seriously having this discussion, are we?

Did you even read my posts?

Who does? I just disagree with you...and take a good look around when I'm entering the top of an escalator.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

For me it's about fitness.  

Hayes has "all the tools "to be a "Ron Francis" type player. 

If he shows a Francis-like professionalism he will be fine. 

Also , Hayes wasn't the only play on the 'peg roster who underperformed, not making an excuse just stating the obvious. 

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Who does? I just disagree with you...and take a good look around when I'm entering the top of an escalator.

Excellent point, my friend. I dont even think I read what I post

And I appreciate your approach to dealing with me. You are the wrong demographic for the escalator ride. Grandma was lucky she stood on two legs

I thought Hayes had a good start to his Jets career. 5 goals in 13 points in 20 games.

And as was said the whole team struggled.

Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Morrissey, Trouba and Ehlers all come to mind as not playing up to par.

And then Hell boy didn't in net.

And then you saddle Hayes with a utility guy like Perreault and a rookie and I say he was set up to fail.

But very hard to put all that on the new guy.

But hey he gets a new slate in Philly...

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

For me it's about fitness.  

Hayes has "all the tools "to be a "Ron Francis" type player. 

If he shows a Francis-like professionalism he will be fine. 

Also , Hayes wasn't the only play on the 'peg roster who underperformed, not making an excuse just stating the obvious. 

This.

In all honesty, Hayes wasn't that horrible as a Jet, especially in the context of a Jets teams that was pretty awful since early March. But you're right. He did not look in shape to me. At all. And since he got to play with Ehlers and Connor, which is like a dream for a big, slowish passing centre, he showed me that he's not necessarily the 2C that people think he is. Not yet at least. We shall see.

John LeClair floundered in Mtl, never scoring more than 20 goals. He got traded, scored 25, then 50+ for the next 3 seasons

Sometimes good players need the right circumstances 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Excellent point, my friend. I dont even think I read what I post

And I appreciate your approach to dealing with me. You are the wrong demographic for the escalator ride. Grandma was lucky she stood on two legs

I actually go out in "old drag" when I'm shopping.

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

John LeClair floundered in Mtl, never scoring more than 20 goals. He got traded, scored 25, then 50+ for the next 3 seasons

Sometimes good players need the right circumstances 

Like being wingman to prime Eric Lindros. Hayes will be playing with....JVR.