Game 10: Flyers at Islanders; 10/27/19 at 7:00

Howie58

Greetings:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/10-27-2019/philadelphia-flyers-vs-ny-islanders-islanders-prediction-6139/

We are fairly serious underdogs.  Hart has not played well against the Isles; Varlamov has played well against us.  The Isles are rested; we're in the second half of the back-to-back.  I suspect Tyler Pitlick is in the lineup to replace Scott Laughton.  AV versus Trotz is a good matchup.  It should be interesting.

I guess the lines will look pretty much like yesterday's except Scotty.

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier -  11 Travis Konecny
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes -  18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Farabee, Voracek, Gostisbehere.
Power Play 2:  Lindblom, Couturier, Konecny, Provorov, Niskanen.

Scratches: 21 Scott Laughton (broken finger), 55 Sam Morin (healthy).
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

I would like to see Hart secure the net today and force Elliott who had a shaky first half of the game today, back to the backup role without question.

I have to agree bring on Sam...

A few days ago, Vigneault said he wanted to get Samuel Morin in the lineup as soon as possible, but that the other six defensemen were playing well. Tonight might be the night Morin makes his season debut because Robert Hagg struggled mightily vs. CBJ on Sat.

So looked like Raffl gets bumped up....

PROJECTED LINES (Subject to change)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
18 Tyler Pitlick - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Farabee, Voracek, Gostisbehere.
Power Play 2: Lindblom, Couturier, Konecny, Provorov, Niskanen.

Scratches: 55 Sam Morin (healthy), 21 Scott Laughton (finger, Oct. 26).
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

ISLANDERS

27 Anders Lee - 13 Mathew Barzal - 12 Josh Bailey
10 Derick Brassard - 29 Brock Nelson -18 Anthony Beauvillier
28 Michael Dal Colle - 34 Cole Bardreau - 26 Oliver Wahlstrom
32 Ross Johnston - 53 Casey Cizikas - 15 Cal Clutterbuck

3 Adam Pelech - 6 Ryan Pulock
25 Devon Toews - 24 Scott Mayfield
2 Nick Leddy - 55 Johnny Boychuk
8 Noah Dobson

1 Thomas Greiss
40 Semyon Varlamov

Power Play 1: Beauvillier, Nelson, Bailey, Barzal, Toews.
Power Play 2: Lee, Brassard, Wahlstrom, Leddy, Pulock.

Scratches: 8 Noah Dobson (healthy), 14 Tom Kühnhackl (lower body, questionable), 17 Matt Martin (knee,questionable).
Injured reserve: 7 Jordan Eberle (lower body, Oct. 11), 47 Leo Komarov (illness), 16 Andrew Ladd (torn ACL).

• Defenseman Samuel Morin, the team's 2013 first-round pick, will make his season debut in place of Robert Hagg. After Saturday night's game, the move felt likely 

Morin in ...Hagg out.

Flyers.........4.

Islanders...2

the big boys get er going..

Go G ..

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So looked like Raffl gets bumped up....

Good. Raffl has always the kind of guy who can play well regardless of his spot in the line up. I've said this before, but if Raffl had any real finishing ability, he would be a top line guy. He does so many things so well. He just can't score to save his life.

Braun has been brutal all year, Ghost is a massive defensive liability. How soon before one of them is benched for Meyers. I like Wahlstrom on the Isles he has bodied a lot of our guys off the puck to create scoring chances for the Isles. He is the kind of big physical skilled R wing that we need.

Barzal their best player has 2 points and is all over the ice skating circles around us. Giroux our best player has 0 points and is invisible.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I mean the game wasn't all bad. The guys who have been playing well still played quite well (including Elliott of all people). Giroux and JVR looked good in this one again also, which is nice. 

Our back end was all kinds of bad though. Between Morin, Sanheim, and Ghost... I mean, I just don't know. The most noticeable for me was when Morin and Ghost were paired up. That was a circus act at best. Now of course Morin obviously could benefit from experience at this level, so it's hard to knock him too much. Ghost though... I honestly think our Ghost problem is one that warrants a lot more attention than it's been getting.

If nothing else, AV shouldn't be putting a guy he knows is garbage defensively with a guy who has virtually no experience playing at this level. It's possible he did that just to bolster the top four, but the Jackets walked all over them every time those two were on the ice together.

Sanheim also had a bad game. But he's had plenty of good to great games in his short time here. Let's see what the coaching staff works with him on, and if that helps turn him around some. To me, it seems like he's watching Provo and wanting to emulate him, but he's just not at that level yet.

Couts/Lindblom/TK were all still solid. Giroux and JVR played well. Hayes played well (though he really needs to learn to shoot). Provo and Niskanen were still very good. Raffl remained his steady self. So yeah, the players who have been good remained good, they just weren't enough to overcome the bad (mostly from the back end).

And Hart. He was very bad. At one point I noted to @brelic how they must be showing him tapes of Bryzgalov or something with all that flopping and almost trying to get out of the way of the puck at times. It was bad.

I mean we just have to hang in there and give him time I think. It's definitely waay too early to judge him in any real way (as with so much of this team honestly). 

The team that played better deservedly won the game last night. It's about as simple as that.

Edited by elmatus

On 10/28/2019 at 6:47 AM, elmatus said:

Bryzgalov or something with all that flopping and almost trying to get out of the way of the puck at times. It was bad.

I mean we just have to hang in there and give him time I think. It's definitely waay too early to judge him in any real way (as with so much of this team honestly). 

Don't disagree, but two things. 

Clearly, they were shooting for glove. And winning. This needs to be fixed because by now, everyone has seen tape of the Oilers and Isles games. 

He was SLOW last night. Not just glove. Side to side. And worst:  he kept taking forever to get back up and in position. 

Is he hurt? Drunk? I don't know.  Some of it is early season with him. Some of it at this point might be confidence.  But the slow doesn't seem to go with the lack of confidence idea. 

He'll figure it out, but it might be from the bench for a little while. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

Yeah, Hart was all kinds of bad last night. So was the defense. 

Elliott made 2-3 major saves that basically erased a gaffe by the team. Now, it was not as significant in a game whose outcome was already pretty much determined, but those are the kinds of the saves he's been mostly giving us, and Hart has not. I don't want to pin it all on the goalie, but if Hart makes a few saves early on, maybe we preserve that early lead and get energy from the saves. 

Instead, Hart was deflating last night. It'll be interesting to see what they do tomorrow night.

Hart or Elliott? I'd go Elliott - he gives us the best chance to win at this moment. 

Oh, and Morin was all kinds of bad. Rusty or not, Manning would have been an improvement.

• Like 1

Well from what i am hearing and from what i seen of the highlights because i didn't get to watch it sounds like he could benefit from maybe being sent to the Phantoms for a week or so to work on his game.

But if they want to keep him up and just let him work on it in practice i guess i can understand. But at some point he will have to get back in a game....the only way to overcome it...i guess i knew it just couldn't be Philly without some issues in net. SMFH.

I think the kid will figure it out go thing he already has his own shrink.

Not making excuses maybe the Flyers were tired being a back to back....the Isles were rested. Either way they will get it figured out.

I do have faith in them.....for now.

I was at the game.  Some observations:

1.  The entire team was fighting the puck and had difficulty completing a pass.  Islanders were very good.  Barzal is blazing fast; no one on the Flyers has his speed.

2.  Gostisbehere was terrible.  That pinch on the Barzal goal was obviously dumb.  As soon as I saw him make that pinch, I said to myself, "uh oh."  He made a lot of other poor plays and generally got pushed off the puck at every opportunity.  Have fun playing in Seattle, dude.

3.  I know it was his first game, but Morin looked like a newborn giraffe on skates.  He kept falling over and lunging at the puck with his stick.  He had no clue so he fit in perfect with Gostisbehere.

4.  Hart was terrible.  He hasn't been good outside of the streak last year.  Might be time to send him to the Phantoms.

5.  I was impressed with Hayes.  He was one of the few Flyers who looked like he had legs.  He protected the puck very well, takes up a lot of space on the ice, and seems like a smart player.  Not very dynamic but brings a lot to the table.

• Like 1