We really need some help on offense.

RonJeremy

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

There was this kid called Tocchet....not sure that guy ever had a calm moment

Sure...and there was this guy named Clarke, and Kelly, and Saleski, and Dupont, and Van Impe, and Shultz. And if they played now...they'd all be doing time.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure...and there was this guy named Clarke, and Kelly, and Saleski, and Dupont, and Van Impe, and Shultz. And if they played now...they'd all be doing time.

about 18mins a game (Schultz's in the box)

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Agreed. Guys like Podein.

I miss the wars against Pittsburgh when the arena was loud and hatred was rampant. Im glad we beat the Pens 3-0, but i still think that I enjoyed the games alot more 10 years ago. I just wish we had a big hitter to lay a few people out and get the crowd going and I wouldnt mind a good pummeling of a deserving opponent every now and then. I know the game has changed and theres alot more skill, but im not exactly seeing the kind of excitement of the Lemaire, Lafleur and Shutt line. Its more like watching baseball or chess now.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yes , Behn Wilson and Glen Cochrane would be in an insane asylum or on death row as habitual offenders. 

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Its more like watching baseball or chess now.

This tends to be my feeling s well. 

This last game was a good game. They played really well defensively and that's good and all. And it really is how the game is played today. 

But for me it was one of the more unexciting Pens/Flyers games I've seen (though better than the 7-1 game). 

That's why I specifically mentioned Hartnell and Talbot. Because I was specifically thinking in terms of the Pens/Flyers games back in the day

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This tends to be my feeling s well. 

This last game was a good game. They played really well defensively and that's good and all. And it really is how the game is played today. 

But for me it was one of the more unexciting Pens/Flyers games I've seen (though better than the 7-1 game). 

That's why I specifically mentioned Hartnell and Talbot. Because I was specifically thinking in terms of the Pens/Flyers games back in the day

I totally agree, the game was plain vanilla, solid win  but not a game you talk about and  call ecxiting.  But its also the same on the NBA, the classic physical battles of the 90s are history  I used to be in a frenzy ready to jump through the tv and  murder guys like Avery, Claude Lemieux and  Barnaby watching the old games. I really miss the hatred. Other than Jake , who was the last player you wanted to punch in the face? On a good note my blood pressure is down.  

Edited by RonJeremy

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I totally agree, the game was plain vanilla, solid win  but not a game you talk about and  call ecxiting.  But its also the same on the NBA, the classic physical battles of the 90s are history  I used to be in a frenzy ready to jump through the tv and  murder guys like Avery, Claude Lemieux,  Barnaby watching the old games. Other than Jake , who was the last player you wanted to punch in the face? On a good note my blood pressure is down. 

On an opposing team?

That's a hard one.  Probably what's his name that got away with the cheap hit on Konecny, that no one did a thing about.

And James Neal.  I still hate him, but that's going back to the 2012 playoffs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

On an opposing team?

That's a hard one.  Probably what's his name that got away with the cheap hit on Konecny, that no one did a thing about.

And James Neal.  I still hate him, but that's going back to the 2012 playoffs.

See, you havent had any hatred in 8 years.The NHL needs some villans for us to hate and to get the crowd going. As much as I hated all those guys, you really miss them. When Barnaby used to smile you just wanted to knock his teeth out. 

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

See, you havent had any hatred in 8 years.The NHL needs some villans for us to hate and to get the crowd going. As much as I hated all those guys, you really miss them. When Barnaby used to smile you just wanted to knock his teeth out. 

I haven't really had ANY emotion in the last 8 years, to be honest.  I don't see us returning to those days, much as I wish it were so.  We are now the Ice Follies with nets.    I know, "skill skill skill."   I get it.   But if I want to see beauty and absolutely no action, emotion, or often sound, I'll go to the art museum.

If I want that on my television, there are other channels for that.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I haven't really had ANY emotion in the last 8 years, to be honest.  I don't see us returning to those days, much as I wish it were so.  We are now the Ice Follies with nets.    I know, "skill skill skill."

So, wait - the reason you haven't had any emotion about the Flyers for the past 8 years has been "skill, skill, skill"?

Put your analyst on danger money, baby. :hithead:

The problem with the rough and tumble days was it got to the point where the players were crippling themselves and driving themselves to an early death.

I still can't stand Crosby. Or Malkin. But part of the reason we don't have the emotional engagement about this team is that this team hasn't given us any reason to have any emotion about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

So, wait - the reason you haven't had any emotion about the Flyers for the past 8 years has been "skill, skill, skill"?

LOL  Oh no.   When I wrote in my head I was kind of commenting about the game in general, but what was being typed was a response to a thread specifically about the Flyers...so fail.    The "skill skill skill" was anticipating the "but the skill is so exciting" response to the general NHL thought I was having.

I know you're scoffing at skill on the Flyers, but I think you're being harsh.   I mean, we had Weiss and Lehtera.  I don't know what more skill you're looking for.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

The problem with the rough and tumble days was it got to the point where the players were crippling themselves and driving themselves to an early death.

Yet, I feel fine.  What's the problem?

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I still can't stand Crosby. Or Malkin. But part of the reason we don't have the emotional engagement about this team is that this team hasn't given us any reason to have any emotion about it.

Certainly.  No doubt about it.

For me, though, it may be worse than that.  I think it's possible it may be there game itself at this point, but I've not yet had any way to conduct an A/B test. So, we'll go with your theory for now.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, we had Weiss and Lehtera.  I don't know what more skill you're looking for.

Boyd Gordon out here saying :drumsfingers:

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I know you're scoffing at skill on the Flyers, but I think you're being harsh. 

I am being harsh. But not about the skill. About the heart.

Give me a reason to care, and I'll sing along forever...

• Like 1

I have no problem hating, I hate every team except...thinking, thinking...no I hate them all. 

I hate though, so, it's no big deal.

"Sports hate" works pretty good for hating, it's not actual get out of my country hate or any thing malicious, while still being hateful.

I am hoping to being able to return to hating and gloating...now that was fun, when the iggles won, that was some fun right there. I could work the old hate ball up for the Patriots and say 41-33 fags...truly a zenith of my sports fan life. 

Not sure, if the Flyers grant then next hate exacta or the Sixers, but I feel hopeful. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The 70s and 80s was probably the most violent and physical time in the NHL , but I dont remember players being so badly injured . To me when no one wore a helmet there was much more respect among the players,  as far as hits to the head.  Players also knew if they targeted skill players they were gonna get hammered.  Once everyone was wearing helmets the cheap shots increased and once they put in the instigator rule , little weasel players like Matt Cooke,etc started to do whatever they wanted since there was no deterrent. 

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The 70s and 80s was probably the most violent and physical time in the NHL , but I dont remember players being so badly injured . To me when no one wore a helmet there was much more respect among the players,  as far as hits to the head.  Players also knew if they targeted skill players they were gonna get hammered.  Once everyone was wearing helmets the cheap shots increased and once they put in the instigator rule , little weasel players like Matt Cooke,etc started to do whatever they wanted since there was no deterrent. 

The game is just faster today. Better equipment. Better training. Across the whole lineup.

Guys are skating faster and hits are more devastating.

I'm not disputing the concept of policing themselves. Or that helmets made them feel more invulnerable - while it made them more susceptible.

The league has taken steps to make it faster as well - removing the clutch and grab for example.

There's no question the game changed but ALL professional sports have changed. NONE of them are like they were in the 70s.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

The game is just faster today. Better equipment. Better training. Across the whole lineup.

Guys are skating faster and hits are more devastating.

I'm not disputing the concept of policing themselves. Or that helmets made them feel more invulnerable - while it made them more susceptible.

The league has taken steps to make it faster as well - removing the clutch and grab for example.

There's no question the game changed but ALL professional sports have changed. NONE of them are like they were in the 70s.

I agree with your assessment on the size and speed of players,etc. I never knew that skill could be so boring. Maybe its me, but i found the old time hockey to be far more exciting. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree with your assessment on the size and speed of players,etc. I never knew that skill could be so boring. Maybe its me, but i found the old time hockey to be far more exciting. 

If it's just about speed (watching skaters move around fast) and no physical play, then yes I agree. That's the "soccerization" of hockey. The Leafs are one of the top offensive teams and they can be very dull to watch when they're not scoring because it's just players moving around quickly not accomplishing anything and no physical play ever. That actually gets fatiguing to watch because your eyes have to keep track of these guys blazing around at Mach 1 and it can be difficult to follow. The hitting sort of filled the gaps between the goals and between the scoring opportunities. Gave fans something to cheer about when things got rough from time to time.  

The thing that annoys me about modern hockey the most is that we've pretty much lost the slap shot. There are no more goals where someone skates in on a rush and just blows the puck past the goalie. Everything has to be a screened shot now with a deflection or a one-timer, otherwise the goalie stops it.  There used to be a time where forwards were dangerous if they had the puck and nobody was standing in front of the net to block the goalie's view. That "grip it and rip it" blast has all but disappeared from the game.  

Anyway, I don't want to nitpick.  :) 

7 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The thing that annoys me about modern hockey the most is that we've pretty much lost the slap shot. There are no more goals where someone skates in on a rush and just blows the puck past the goalie. Everything has to be a screened shot now with a deflection or a one-timer, otherwise the goalie stops it.  There used to be a time where forwards were dangerous if they had the puck and nobody was standing in front of the net to block the goalie's view. That "grip it and rip it" blast has all but disappeared from the game.  

It happens, but it's fewer now, yes. Some of that has been the advent of goalie equipment which the league is now trying to overcome. Some of it is also that it's harder for a player to get away on that sort of breakaway because - as we've said - everything and everyone is simply faster. And some of it is that the goalies are simply better at stopping that sort of play.

One would think with the new graphite sticks and the ability to shoot the puck faster and harder would overcome that, but it doesn't seem that's the case.

Of course, you also have coaches with their "systems" who are more about setting up play and getting those deflections and one-timers. It's part of the evolution of the game.

I don't disagree that there are aspects of the game that simply aren't as fun to watch.

Then again, the sport has simply never been more popular and profitable than it is today.

Weird, innit?

On 1/21/2020 at 9:33 PM, radoran said:

Look, they just lost at home to a team playing the back end of a ROAD back to back.

It's the schedule.

It's injury.

It's this that and the other thing.

After 7 years it maybe just could be that this team isn't that good.

We'll find out over the next five weeks.

I believe they CAN do something here regardless of the various reasons they haven't yet.

But until they DO they're just the same team that hasn't yet.

If they were in the PAC, they’d be in first place.  

Yes, they lost at home (with a minor league goalie in net because AV isn’t insane with goalies like the past 3 coaches have been)  after taking the champs (who were still on fire) in St. Louis the night before.  They beat the Caps, gotnoutlast d by the on fire Bolts in a hard, tight one, then after the Habs loss, they handily took the Kings (as they should) and they took the Penguins (who couldn’t seem to lose). 

Giroux, Jake, JVR, TK and Coots are all putting up points fairly regularly. 

Moose has performed admirably and been steady with then inconvenient injury to Hart.  

They had a bad road trip which goes back to my major issue with the team and the bottom 6. 

Other than that, I just can’t see complaining about this team right now.  

I think we’ll see where things really are as the conference starts to play itself more regularly down the stretch offer the bye week. 

Raffl and Hart and Ghost get the extra time to heal up.  AV gets his pontoon boat and Martinis and maybe that’ll help him sort out dealing with not having last change.  

But at the All star Break they don’t need a miracle.  They need to work on a few things that they might be able to fix and might not, but overall, to not be pleased with the improvement is to have one’s vision clouded by spite and unrealistic expectations from where I sit.