Ghost to Montreal?

CoachX

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Shea Weber is hurt. Could be long term. Could we deal Ghost to them? For who?

Where are my forum GM's? I want some juicy gossip scenarios

Drouin?  Slightly more vs. cap.    What a world we live in where $1M more is "slightly!"

Tatar is 29, comes in at $4.8M vs. Ghost's $4.5M and only has next year left on his current contract.   I wouldn't resign him, but he'd be a good option, plays either wing, is good for 60-70 points and we'd have $4.5M off the books after next season.

56 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

How about Domi, Gallagher and a pick for Ghost and Voracek? I guess the Habs would have to move someone else off their roster to make it work salary cap wise.

I personally don't do this if I'm either team.   The Habs get older and pay an extra $6M+ to do it.   And a pick on top of it?    I mean, I think they have the cap space, but I don't know why they saddle themselves with Voracek's salary/cap hit on the back end of his career.

And on the Flyers' end, Voracek is playing well.   I mean, he's outscoring both Domi and Gallagher and actually is playing decently in other ways.  I can't believe I'm saying positive things about DumbDumb (and will go take a shower after this), but he's just playing better than both.  If we want to make the playoffs this year and maybe even win a round, this is not the time to trade Voracek. I almost feel like Ghost is a waste of an asset in this deal but doesn't happen without him (or another defenseman) included.  I don't think the Habs gut their team just for an expensive long-term Voracek.   I don't think the included pick is at all viable.

But I wonder if Domi/Ghost straight up couldn't happen.  Or with some mid-range picks involved.   Ghost does not replace an injured Weber so I don't think he's what the Habs need.  On the other hand, he and Domi are in the same price range but Ghost is cost-controlled until 30 years old whereas Domi is an RFA after next year and will probably cost upward of $5M/yr. if not $6M.

I doubt the Habs do that, but it's possible.

Honestly, if we're not going to keep Ghost, I think I trade him for younger assets or picks.  I know people are tired of picks, but we're to the place where we have a lot of bodies coming in.   If Ghost is out due to a numbers game, I'd trade to keep the supply chain going.

Any one of Domi, Gallagher, Drouin, or Tatar are good for me for short term bump.  And the money works for all except possibly Drouin (it works, but isn't as attractive and the term is longer).

With Ghost, I might honestly shoot for Suzuki and work backwards from there. It might take a 2nd or 3rd rounder plus Ghost, but if it's me, I take a shot at it.

• Like 1

I was just reading this on another site...

" word from sources around the league that the Carolina Hurricanes are openly offering a first-round pick in exchange for a top-four defenseman with term."

Ghost for a 1st round pick? I would do it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Mid-first round pick.  

I don't know.  It would hurt to lose the 'potential' that ghost has for that. 

The current form of Ghost, yea it's reasonable I guess.   But I'm not ready to give up on him.  

Especially to a team they are in a dog fight with towards the end of season for a playoff spot.

17 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Mid-first round pick.  

I don't know.  It would hurt to lose the 'potential' that ghost has for that. 

The current form of Ghost, yea it's reasonable I guess.   But I'm not ready to give up on him.  

Make it for Lucas Wallmark and I would do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

" word from sources around the league that the Carolina Hurricanes are openly offering a first-round pick in exchange for a top-four defenseman with term."

If it were a top 10 pick, with a shot at the lottery,  you might do it. I would wait till the draft and maybe we can package our pick and Ghost and oir first to move up if there is an impact player we really like. I would love to get Domi, hes the kind of abrasive player we need and he scores. We have to keep in mind , there is no guarantee Lindblom or Patrick are coming  back. If he comes back. Patrick could be in and out of the lineup for long stretches with his condition.  I would build the team as if neither guy is coming back, we cant really count on it . If they do, then its a huge bonus.

Maybe. I have to say though, Ghost really hasn't looked much like a top four dman for quite some time now. He's certainly no replacement for Shea Weber by any stretch. I have my doubts we'd be able to snag a high potential player like Domi in return for just Ghost. It seems very likely MTL could find a more effective dman elsewhere if that's what they want. I do think Ghost will be traded, but Fletch will need to flex some muscle to get a return like Domi. 

I should also note (again) that Domi is nothing at all like his father. He's small and quick and not a hitter or fighter. He's sort of like TK but with less of a mouth on him. While I would be plenty fine with seeing him in the O&B, I think it's important to understand what he brings. Folks talking about how we're not big or mean enough -- 5'10 Max Domi won't do much to change that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Maybe. I have to say though, Ghost really hasn't looked much like a top four dman for quite some time now. He's certainly no replacement for Shea Weber by any stretch. I have my doubts we'd be able to snag a high potential player like Domi in return for just Ghost. It seems very likely MTL could find a more effective dman elsewhere if that's what they want. I do think Ghost will be traded, but Fletch will need to flex some muscle to get a return like Domi. 

I should also note (again) that Domi is nothing at all like his father. He's small and quick and not a hitter or fighter. He's sort of like TK but with less of a mouth on him. While I would be plenty fine with seeing him in the O&B, I think it's important to understand what he brings. Folks talking about how we're not big or mean enough -- 5'10 Max Domi won't do much to change that.

Domi is pretty scrappy for his size and I have seen him fight, hes not a heavyweight but hes actually a pretty good fighter. Him and TK would be a good combo. 

23 hours ago, CoachX said:

Shea Weber is hurt. Could be long term. Could we deal Ghost to them? For who?

Where are my forum GM's? I want some juicy gossip scenarios

So's Jay Bouwmeester in St. Louis.  Might be his career.  Do we want Schenner back?

Montreal is a team that has regularly dressed Nick Cousins, Jordan Weal and Dale Weise this season. Do we really think they're going to send us Domi or Gallagher for Ghost?  

The BLues have a lot of centers on their roster.  If Patrick is actually coming back, it may be moot, but I don't think we're likely to get a good idea on him until after the deadline anyway.  

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

To the team most likely to overtake the 8th playoff spot from us?  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

So's Jay Bouwmeester in St. Louis.  Might be his career.  Do we want Schenner back?

Montreal is a team that has regularly dressed Nick Cousins, Jordan Weal and Dale Weise this season. Do we really think they're going to send us Domi or Gallagher for Ghost?  

The BLues have a lot of centers on their roster.  If Patrick is actually coming back, it may be moot, but I don't think we're likely to get a good idea on him until after the deadline anyway.  

I heard they might be willing to move him, and they are definitely looking for an offensive dman. With Ghosts diminished value we would probably have to offer Ghost and Rubstov or something like that,.maybe a little more. 

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I heard they might be willing to move him, and they are definitely looking for an offensive dman. With Ghosts diminished value we would probably have to offer Ghost and Rubstov or something like that,.maybe a little more. 

Well they've certainly made dumber trades in the past ;)

Typical.  Flyers fans want to get rid of a guy they don't want anymore, but think he's worth prospects and 1st round picks.

Ghost looks mostly like a two-year offensive flash in the pan with defensive issues.  I wouldn't expect more than a 2nd and conditional 3rd round picks at this point (unless we are taking back an equally problematic player).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Typical.  Flyers fans want to get rid of a guy they don't want anymore, but think he's worth prospects and 1st round picks.

Ghost looks mostly like a two-year offensive flash in the pan with defensive issues.  I wouldn't expect more than a 2nd and conditional 3rd round picks at this point (unless we are taking back an equally problematic player).

Ghost is probably in need of a change of scenery.  His offensive game can come back, and he needs top PP time, but not if he hes on a third pairing. He will never be a defensive stalwart, that's for sure. His value is certainly diminished at this point, but ther arent alot of dmen that have his shot and skating ability.  So the Flyers have to bope when he comes back he finishes the season strong and increases his value for a draft day type of deal. He isnt worth much at the deadline  in 2 weeks coming off a crap season and injury. He is still valuable in a package deal, especially if a team needs a PP QB. If there is a team with a surplus of offesne but lacks a PP QB, we can get a good player. There is always a deal to be made. A guy like you would be saying theres no way Tsylor Hall goes for an average dman like Larson, but it  happened. Are you a part time motivational speaker? I look around this room and see alot of potential...

Larsson was 23 at the time of the trade and a 4th overall pick.  Not sure this is a fair comparison.

Regardless, the window to get something of substance for Ghost is rapidly closing.  My money is that this is the real Ghost, which is why everyone wants to trade him, so you better trade him before every last team figures this out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Larsson was 23 at the time of the trade and a 4th overall pick.  Not sure this is a fair comparison.

Regardless, the window to get something of substance for Ghost is rapidly closing.  My money is that this is the real Ghost, which is why everyone wants to trade him, so you better trade him before every last team figures this out.

Ghost isnt that much older and put up better numbers than Larson ever did at that age.  So that trade was made on Larsons potential. There is still the potential for Ghost to bounce back, he does have a certain skillset that some teams need .We have a few choices , we can hold onto him another year and hope he bounces back, then trade him , or leave him for the expansion draft, we have to lose a dman for sure, or package him with other assets at the draft. I cant see anyone giving up much at the deadline and Ghost is still hurt.  They should send him to the minors for conditioning and see if he can get his game and confidence back.

Edited by RonJeremy