No Hockey and need a hockey fix? No problem, I have some ideas...

CreaseAndAssist

After NHL94 the stick handling, special moves and defense options started getting more and more difficult, eventually getting so time consuming to learn, that I lost all interest. NHL94 can be just picked up when you have a moment to spare and you're good to go. The defence of the Devils was great, Scott Stevens the star.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

They should be broadcasting retro hockey games on TV, but they won't because I think they would be worried that fans wouldn't recognize the game they saw.  

Watched part of a Gretzky-era Oilers game at a sports bar yesterday and chuckled to see the beer-league-speed, center ice traffic jams as teams try to avoid  two line passes, and the absolute holding, hooking, slashing, shoving and general mugging and thuggery as defensemen try to hold the blue line. We've come a long way baby.......

Edited by Icechipper
Sp.
  • Like 1

I loved playing Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 on my Amiga. Was more realistic and far ahead of any other hockey video game at the time, and if you paired it with Hockey League Simulator, you had the all-around experience of managing your team and playing the games as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I loved playing Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 on my Amiga. Was more realistic and far ahead of any other hockey video game at the time, and if you paired it with Hockey League Simulator, you had the all-around experience of managing your team and playing the games as well.

Looks like a great game for its time. I watched the video and wow the nararator is annoying. Wanted to strangle him lol.  

The first PC hockey game I can remember was this....

Faceoff!  :) 

Love how after a fight, the ref drags the loser to the penalty box lol.  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@WordsOfWisdom I played a lot of Face Off! at a friend's house, on his C64. Really fun game. Wasn't the absolute most realistic approach to hockey, but it had great graphics for the era, was really entertaining and had some features which were ahead of their time. You ran a franchise, could edit a playbook, and played a season.

@lynxrattle Yes, the manual said something along the lines of "The loser is assessed a penalty as a result of his wimpy behaviour!"

Another fun game from around that period of time: Superstar Ice Hockey. Good on both the C64 or Amiga, it was the Amiga version that I liked the most:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Yes, the manual said something along the lines of "The loser is assessed a penalty as a result of his wimpy behaviour!"

NHL and NHLPA endorsement here we come!!!  lol  ;) 

Incidentally, this was the SAME COMPANY that made the classic Hardball franchise for PC. I think it was the best baseball game for PC (and best baseball game period in that era). It's a shame they didn't refine the Faceoff franchise the same way they did with Hardball. If you look at Hardball 1, 2, 3, and 4, the game underwent some significant upgrades. They could have easily had the best hockey gaming franchise because they got their start years before EA came along. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

NHL and NHLPA endorsement here we come!!!  lol  ;) 

Incidentally, this was the SAME COMPANY that made the classic Hardball franchise for PC. I think it was the best baseball game for PC (and best baseball game period in that era). It's a shame they didn't refine the Faceoff franchise the same way they did with Hardball. If you look at Hardball 1, 2, 3, and 4, the game underwent some significant upgrades. They could have easily had the best hockey gaming franchise because they got their start years before EA came along. 

Hardball! was fun: played a good bit of it on the C64. My favourite baseball sim was Earl Weaver Baseball on the Amiga, from 1987. It was a realistic simulation of baseball from, shockingly, EA.

It had real teams and rosters of actual players, both historic and current (for the time), and came packed with a ballpark editor, so you create any team's stadium from any period in history. Extra data discs were available, as well as a Commissioner Disk, for managing leagues.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Thanks 1

Well, you can get to Vegas from Austin for about $80 round trip - and since the MGM properties are shutting down for 2 weeks - there are a ton of hotels there for like $20/night...  This is having a MASSIVE impact on all industries - and I get it somewhat - but there are like 60 deaths - where 80% of the first batch came from the same assisted living facility in Seattle. Back in 2009, the H1N1 virus killed 18,000+ people, no national emergency was declared until the 6th month and about 1,000 deaths - every sport and business remained unfazed throughout the whole thing.

Yet here we are - crazy...

I think people have too much information - interesting that none of them say you have a 99% chance of being fine 3 days later even if you get it...

Yesterday the NHL channel has been running some history of hockey segments - some have been very interesting...

Edited by Confrontational

13 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

I think people have too much information - interesting that none of them say you have a 99% chance of being fine 3 days later even if you get it...

You appear to have too little. There's this country called Italy. Look it up: 368 new deaths reported in the last 24 hours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Hardball! was fun: played a good bit of it on the C64. My favourite baseball sim was Earl Weaver Baseball on the Amiga, from 1987. It was a realistic simulation of baseball from, shockingly, EA.

LOL, the play by play guy sounds like Stephen Hawking but the umpires actually sound really good. That's impressive for 1987! Hardball didn't have voice or commentary until HB3 and that was 1992 I think.  :) 

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It had real teams and rosters of actual players, both historic and current (for the time), and came packed with a ballpark editor, so you create any team's stadium from any period in history. Extra data discs were available, as well as a Commissioner Disk, for managing leagues.

Mind blown. 🤯

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

You appear to have too little. There's this country called Italy. Look it up: 368 new deaths reported in the last 24 hours.

Ummm, the average age of the Covid-19 dead in Italy is 81. I'll let that sink in for a minute.

These might also interest you:

Italian Deaths due to regular common flu
Flu 2014-15: 7,027 (585 per month)
Flu 2015-16: 20,259 (1,688 per month)
Flu 2016-17: 15,801 (1,316 per month)
Flu 2017-18: 24,981 (2,081 per month)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Italian Deaths due to CV19
CV19 (6 months) 1800 (300 per month)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6