Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

Greetings:

If you can get a few bottles of Canoe Ridge Vineyards Cabernet, Vintage 2018 you're in for a treat. Very good, and under ten bucks on sale. 

The Flyers PP made me appreciate the cab...needed relief.  God bless Hart.  I have to agree with Mike Milbury--Therrien needs to do something to get this gang on at least a few cylinders. 

Shot blocking shows commitment and it was big tonight.  But you aren't going to win 1-0 every night.  Good bounce from Friday, but not a lot of fun to watch. 

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

If you can get a few bottles of Canoe Ridge Vineyards Cabernet, Vintage 2018 you're in for a treat. Very good, and under ten bucks on sale. 

Best post of this series!

The Flyers PP made me appreciate the cab...needed relief.  God bless Hart.  I have to agree with Mike Milbury--Therrien needs to do something to get this gang on at least a few cylinders. 

Nice rebound from Hart (not that it was his fault last game)

Milbury HAS to be right sometime. I'm not sure if that pp is vanilla or beige but it sure is lame.

Shot blocking shows commitment and it was big tonight.  But you aren't going to win 1-0 every night.  Good bounce from Friday, but not a lot of fun to watch. 

Now we know how those Devil fans felt with Brodeur in net. It's nice to win but exciting it ain't.

• Like 1

I agree 1 for 25 is down right sad.

I would put NAK on the power play he is just what they need a physical guy down low who isn't afraid to get physical and run some traffic in front of Price plus he has a quick shot and a NAK for finding the loose pucks.

With a 1 for 25 record it can't hurt to try what they're doing isn't working.

I wonder how Raffl would look too....

Hi everyone, the do nothing captain has assisted on 66% of the Flyers goals. 

The worst 1st line winger in the league has scored 66% of those goals. 

Also their line's advanced metrics are very good. 

Kindly, STFU already.

thanks

-js

Montreal is playing well, their style of speed, setting picks and holding is tough to play against. The Flyers did what they had to do, they hit those gnat ****s every chance they got and got some timely saves. Keep hitting those ****ers, they'll slow down they're already wondering who they need to blow to beat Carter Hart.

Oh and all those posts the Habs hit last night was because there was not net visible. 

I would like to see tall Travis on the PP,   Jake has been an okay net front presence but then you lose him on the half wall where he can move defenders with his attack, JvR hasn't shown much maybe putting in that tripod spot helps?

the PP is getting worse not better, their zone entries are meh, they need to keep the puck, or keep it away from Price. I don't know if shooting occasionally on him rather than rimming around the corners would help, but he's been the Habs best defenseman retrieving pucks- have to figure out a way to keep him from killing zone time before it starts. 

Edited by mojo1917

Powerplay: NAK was on it. TK was on it. Grant was on it. It doesn't matter. They are making poor decisions and panicking with the puck. This is as much a coaching issue as a player issue

Someone said Giroux has assisted on 66% of the goals. Wow! So what? He assisted on 100% yesterday, and it wasnt impressive. Then he went on to do a JVR/Ghost impression, and disappear

Im on board with dismantling this core if they tank again. I would try to keep Giroux, but Ghost, Jake, JVR, Braun, Laughton would all be gone

Speaking of Laughton..he and NAK were world beaters a few games ago. Now, they are back to being barely mentioned during the game. Laughton in particular looks like a 4th line rookie trying to make the squad. That backhand pass un the zone to give a scoring chance was just stupid. At least NAK is hitting and blocking shots 

Hart is the difference.  Without him, this is 3-0 Montreal. They are just too fast and too physical

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Speaking of Laughton..he and NAK were world beaters a few games ago. Now, they are back to being barely mentioned during the game. Laughton in particular looks like a 4th line rookie trying to make the squad. That backhand pass un the zone to give a scoring chance was just stupid.

Lol, like clockwork

Not one of Laught's better games to be sure. Two horrible giveaways. The one you mention he actually fanned on a clearing attempt so it happens. But let's be honest, that's atypical of him. He's usually as solid and safe as any player. 

We are up 2-1 in a series and the Flyer fan base is impatient to talk about dismantling and blowing things up. Unbelievable.

• Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, like clockwork

Not one of Laught's better games to be sure. Two horrible giveaways. The one you mention he actually fanned on a clearing attempt so it happens. But let's be honest, that's atypical of him. He's usually as solid and safe as any player. 

We are up 2-1 in a series and the Flyer fan base is impatient to talk about dismantling and blowing things up. Unbelievable.

I am predictable 😁

Seriously,  I'm glad they are up 2-1. But the way they have played these last 3 games has to be a concern. If they make it out of this series, maybe things get rolling. But I remember back to 97 when the series against TB took everything out of the flyers, and they got swept in the finals

I feel like deja-vu is repeating itself 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

But the way they have played these last 3 games has to be a concern. If they make it out of this series, maybe things get rolling

This isn't wrong, but it's also not the only way to look at it. 

The Flyers are winning playing "not their style". If a team can only play one way...unless they're the 1980's Oilers they don't play that way for long. The scoring chances in the 3rd pd last night were 6-3 in our favor, it didn't feel like that, but that's what the paper says.

There is no room for beautiful hockey because of the way Mtl plays. 

The speed of the forwards for Mtl is a problem.

There is a lack of crispness to the Flyers overall game, passes aren't on the tape like they were, does the ice play into that a little? are they trying to hurry up because of the speed?...probably both I'd bet. The remedy is being tough and making plays. They did that, they are gutting through this, it's how they're going to have to win this series. Maybe this takes everything out of them, but I don't think it will. Unless Domi is allowed to pitchfork guys in the sac every game.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Think he'll ever score a goal again before he is traded?

Asking for a friend...

I know you're messing with me.

I'm going to say no and I hope we get a mid first round pick and Nick Cousins back, that's good value!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Someone said Giroux has assisted on 66% of the goals. Wow! So what? He assisted on 100% yesterday, and it wasnt impressive. Then he went on to do a JVR/Ghost impression, and disappear

Hi again that someone was me.

When you look at the voodoo advanced metrics the Couturier line was pretty good last night.  They consistently had net front presence and were putting pressure on the Habs D, didn't always look awesome, but they were playing in the Mtl end far more than their own.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The speed of the forwards for Mtl is a problem.

Greetings:

I agree. This is a problem.  We've seen this versus Tampa Bay, Columbus, and Carolina.  There are certain teams that tend to skate through us unless we knock them around or forecheck to keep them bottled up.  The MTL team is small and we can wear them down.  I am not sure about other teams in the east.  We'll see. 

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I agree. This is a problem.  We've seen this versus Tampa Bay, Columbus, and Carolina.  There are certain teams that tend to skate through us unless we knock them around or forecheck to keep them bottled up.  The MTL team is small and we can wear them down.  I am not sure about other teams in the east.  We'll see. 

They use their speed and stretch passes and not just noth and south they use a lot of cross ice stretch passes and what makes it so affective is they are accurate and crisp.

It seems the Flyers have to many of their's bouncing on them like they have flubber on the blades.

It seems they are feeling the pressure too of letting a 12th seed run with them.

If they can regain their composure and play a little more relaxed I think their goals start adding up.

Now sure how you get them to do that is the million dollar question i guess.

I think if they can win Tuesday and get a cushion we can see a return of that play

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It seems the Flyers have to many of their's bouncing on them like they have flubber on the blades.

This is more symptom than cause of the problems they've experienced.

The Flyers won 15 in a row spread over 5 months, often making their opponents look mediocre and slow. It's not as simple as flipping a switch, but I still like the chances that AV and the boys can find that game, or at least close to that game, again. Because they've done it. They can watch tape if they need reminding.

It's not certain they will. Playoffs are sui generis and can take on their own logic and momentum. But I still have hope that they can. In part because I think this group does have something special about it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I have to agree with Mike Milbury

You lost me right there.... ;)

(GOD I HATE MIKE MILBURY.....)

Game 3 was an odd affair to watch. Thank GOD for Carter Hart.

ALSO, why the HELL was JVR in the line-up over Farabee?!?!?!

Edited by MaineFlyFan

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

This is more symptom than cause of the problems they've experienced.

The Flyers won 15 in a row spread over 5 months, often making their opponents look mediocre and slow. It's not as simple as flipping a switch, but I still like the chances that AV and the boys can find that game, or at least close to that game, again. Because they've done it. They can watch tape if they need reminding.

It's not certain they will. Playoffs are sui generis and can take on their own logic and momentum. But I still have hope that they can. In part because I think this group does have something special about it.

Hey ain't nothing wrong with hopin...

...because when you run out of hope you will always have bourbon....

:ToastingSmiley:

Edited by OccamsRazor
hey if that is true then why did I run out of bourbon?
  • Like 1