Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

11 minutes ago, TedZep said:

I once was lost, but now am found...  I've missed you guys! 

Just in time to watch the Flyers finish off the Habs and  then probably take on the Islanders.

Wow! Welcome back Ted! I’m pretty sure you were featured in our “gone but not forgotten” discussion a few years ago.

Well it wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it.  The Devils weren’t complaining when they won tight low scoring games on the way to 3 cups.  It’s fun to be on the other end of things, finally, especially seeing the other team give up a backbreaking cheap goal for once!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TedZep said:

I once was lost, but now am found...  I've missed you guys! 

Just in time to watch the Flyers finish off the Habs and  then probably take on the Islanders.

omg ... a blast from the past!!!

welcome back!!!!!!

Once the high of consecutive shutouts has worn off a bit, I'll go back and catch up with this thread and see if anyone has taken up the slack complaining about the lopsided officiating.  Another "trip"?!  Those weren't trips! for example.

Just cleaning up bookmarks, and there this site was, waiting for me to rekindle!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Well it wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it.

No I guess it wasn't. I'm still unhappy with some of the turnovers, especially in our zone. But..

The turnovers are actually a sign of confident play, trying to make plays, plays that if they work often lead to odd man rushes or quick transition plays. So high reward plays.

Normally they carry a lot of risk, and we have seen some of those, where only Hart has saved us. But look at the incredible puck support we had today! Incredible puck support.

And we have been much more physical in the last two days as well. And blocking shots

It's tight, hard hockey, and so far we are winning at it. I will take it everyday.

Guys who I really liked today: 

Pitlick: you have to love his motor and his battle.

Grant (easily his best of the playoffs)

Bunnaman: good game! Hard on the puck.

Hayes was better

Coots was a beast

• Like 1

Getting a bit misty eyed seeing some of these usernames from long ago... but there's none of that in hockey!

A few thoughts on the series so far...

* feels like I'm watching the Devils from the 90's.  Suffocating (and at times boring) hockey through the NZ with stellar goaltending when shots get through.  Offensive zone possession largely held to the perimeter.  Nothing close to the middle of the ice.  Only difference, it's the Flyers with the suffocating D and stellar goaltending

* Too many 2 on 1's where the Flyers puck carrier opts to pass instead of taking the shot.  Shoot the puck low and let your teammate drive the net for the rebound (I'm looking at you G)

* PP zone entries.  My Lord!  Better today, but can we please stop the *#&$*&ing sling shot?  I get the idea behind it, back up the opposing players, make them stop at the blue line, and then throw it to a player with speed to carry in.  It's just not working.  Stop it.

* I'm not too worried about the top guys not scoring.  The pretty passing plays aren't there against this Montreal team.  

* This series would be over if we were heading back to Philly for game 5 right now.  That crowd would be jacked after Hart and the Flyers holding Montreal scoreless in their own building.  Of course, that may not have happened either with the Montreal crowd behind the Habs.... but I choose to ignore that fact.

Let's close this one out tomorrow!

Edited by eleven24

12 minutes ago, TedZep said:

Once the high of consecutive shutouts has worn off a bit, I'll go back and catch up with this thread and see if anyone has taken up the slack complaining about the lopsided officiating.  Another "trip"?!  Those weren't trips! for example.

Just cleaning up bookmarks, and there this site was, waiting for me to rekindle!

Welcome back Ted, one of the great posters. The guys who replaced you, to like @CoachX, aren't really up to your calibre.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TedZep said:

Once the high of consecutive shutouts has worn off a bit, I'll go back and catch up with this thread and see if anyone has taken up the slack complaining about the lopsided officiating.

Funny, because on Twitter it's Habs fans complaining about the lopsided officiating.  Personally, I thought the Flyers seemed quite "grabby" today, especially early on.  Then again, one could also just refer to that as "close checking"

4 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Too many 2 on 1's where the Flyers puck carrier opts to pass instead of taking the shot.  Shoot the puck low and let your teammate drive the net for the rebound (I'm looking at you G)

Yeah, this is driving me nuts. I think as this goes along the boys will simplify. You have to in the playoffs

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Funny, because on Twitter it's Habs fans complaining about the lopsided officiating.  Personally, I thought the Flyers seemed quite "grabby" today, especially early on. 

The two tripping penalties against the Flyers weren't just soft, they were complete fabrications.  Webber crosschecking Couturier to the ice was about as blatant example as you're going to get.  In a previous game, Ghost gets a holding penalty for merely "hover handing" a Hab with no contact, and in today's game they were letting all kinds of holding go.

Do I want consistency in officiating?  Yes.  Do I expect it?  Not anymore.  The Habs are getting called for more penalties than the Flyers, but at least they are legit calls, unlike the phantom infractions the Flyers were called for.

Damn, I got right into the spirit of ref bashing, even after a win.  Getting salty in my early dotage, I am.

14 minutes ago, TedZep said:

Do I want consistency in officiating?  Yes.  Do I expect it?  Not anymore.  The Habs are getting called for more penalties than the Flyers, but at least they are legit calls, unlike the phantom infractions the Flyers were called for.

Damn, I got right into the spirit of ref bashing, even after a win.  Getting salty in my early dotage, I am.

Welcome back!

You stated that like there once was consistency in officiating.

Sorry, but officiating has been fine and a complete non-factor.

I want to give a shoutout to the under-appreciated Raffl.  He does it all: plays extremely hard, kills penalties, blocks shots, plays up and down the line up (and wing to wing), can play a power offensive game,  and scored a sweet goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Well it wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it.  The Devils weren’t complaining when they won tight low scoring games on the way to 3 cups.  It’s fun to be on the other end of things, finally, especially seeing the other team give up a backbreaking cheap goal for once!

We all need to absorb the significance in your statement , for the first time in decades the Flyers are actually winning due to our goaltending and defense instead of losing because of it. We are being outplayed and actually winning. In the past we would outplay the opponents and outshoot them 45-15 and we would lose the game. I cant count many series in the past 30 years we lost, due to bad goaltending and having a defense of maybe three skilled defensemen and three immobile  stiffs. So many times we would spend most of the game in the opponents end , bombarding the net with quality shots, outshooting them by a wide margin, only to end up losing due to a cheap goal or a glaring defensive give away. 50 foot slapper, through the 5 hole, Hexy, cheap rebound, Beezer, etc. Think about the goal for Chicago in 2010, has there ever been a weaker Cup winning goal in history ? It's incredible and a long time coming , that we finally have a quality lineup from the goaltending out.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

We all need to absorb the significance in your statement , for the first time in decades the Flyers are actually winning due to our goaltending and defense instead of losing because of it. We are being outplayed and actually winning. In the past we would outplay the opponents and outshoot them 45-15 and we would lose the game. I cant count many series in the past 30 years we lost, due to bad goaltending and having a defense of maybe three skilled defensemen and three immobile  stiffs. So many times we would spend most of the game in the opponents end , bombarding the net with quality shots, outshooting them by a wide margin, only to end up losing due to a cheap goal or a glaring defensive give away. 50 foot slapper, through the 5 hole, Hexy, cheap rebound, Beezer, etc. Think about the goal for Chicago in 2010, has there ever been a weaker Cup winning goal in history ? It's incredible and a long time coming , that we finally have a quality lineup from the goaltending out.

I don't think the Flyers were outplayed today. 

• Like 1

Random Thoughts:

1.  Price is human--two goals to the far side, the second being a wobbler, but still, you take it.

2.  Raffl may be a playoff hero.  He drives play and doesn't agonize over shooting.

3.  The incompetence of the PP makes me think that Nolan Patrick's value could go higher if he returns...and produces.

4.  Hart contributes to team composure.

5. Hagg and Bunnaman will go to the body.

6. I think Grant and probably Pitlick are keepers.  

I went for a run after the first and missed most of the second.  Candidly, it wasn't fun to watch.  Let's finish this up tomorrow.  

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Greetings Howie,

But, um....

Reported!

Pods:

I thought about running after the game when it would be cooler but possible thunderstorm and the boredom made running in 90+ heat make sense.  This was tough to watch. The announcers and some folks here said it.  I have to wonder how we will handle a more balanced opponent.  

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Pods:

I thought about running after the game when it would be cooler but possible thunderstorm and the boredom made running in 90+ heat make sense.  This was tough to watch. The announcers and some folks here said it.  I have to wonder how we will handle a more balanced opponent.  

I'm less troubled by how hard it was to watch. That might just be me I guess.

Here's the thing, the play that had the Flyers previously making teams look bad, that had us generating great chances and had us scoring highlight reel goals, well it's the same play. 

We're just not quite there yet with the execution of that play. 

And the PP sucks lol