Flyers Place Gostisbehere On Waivers

Digityman

13 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I seem to recall that until he signed Brett Burns, GM Doug Wilson of San Jose believed it was not in the best interests of the franchise to sign more than five years.  I think he is correct, particularly in the NHL, where the kind of contract adjustments you see in the NFL or NBA aren't available.  

I don't blame players or agents for wanting to maximize their income--that's human.  I might say the "problem" is a CBA that forces a buy-out late in the contract that may not help a franchise that much.  That's one guy's take.  

These long term deals are killing many franchises right now.

The LA Kings, for example, paid their core that won two Stanley Cups for them: Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick... They've now got 40% of their cap locked up in those players and they have two playoff appearances and zero round wins (1 playoff game win) in the seven years after their Cup run. They're six points out of the playoffs as we stand today.

The Hawks have 1/3 of their cap eaten up by Toews, Kane, and Keith. They're on the outside looking in, tied with Nashville for a playoff spot. They haven't been out of the first round, and have missed the playoffs twice since their last Cup.

But they "had" to sign Toews and Kane.

Essentially, they paid for past performance and are paying a steep price for it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Gostisbehere clears

Is there some unwritten "no offer sheet" style "gentlemen's agreement" that kicks in in these situations?

I think I recall situations where players have been waived in the past, cleared waivers, and are then traded for. Can't recall a specific off the top of my head...

I think the only capped league that allows for movement of players and contracts is the NBA.

Now there are fewer moving parts and more money available in that league. But IMO the NHL would be wise to adopt some of the 'exceptions' the NBA has in it's CBA.

The superstar pay level, the mid-level exception and rookie salary structure are all good ideas and ought to be at least considered by the NHL to keep teams from being gutted because they reward their players.

I've said this a bunch of times all over this site, so it's nothing new, but this Ghost situation makes me think it's wise- again.

Also, RE:Ghost, what now?

So he's just, hey guys seen any good shows? and back in the lineup? 

Do the Flyers keep paying him? Can he play in the NHL or if he does, does his salary go back to counting against the cap?

Edited by mojo1917

Just now, radoran said:

Is there some unwritten "no offer sheet" style "gentlemen's agreement" that kicks in in these situations?

I think I recall situations where players have been waived in the past, cleared waivers, and are then traded for. Can't recall a specific off the top of my head...

Yes he can still be traded. Just like he can still play tonight for the Flyers too.

Chuckles to me is posturing for a move. CF has banked roughly 6.3 mill in cap space...however that is without know how much of that if any he has ear marked for performance bonuses.

Or he could say f**k it use all the space and say bill me next year on the overages towards next year's cap space.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Can he play in the NHL or if he does, does his salary go back to counting against the cap?

Yes he can play tonight.

This is a procedural thing...so very day they don't play Ghost can be assigned to the taxi squad now where they can continue to bank cap space. Chuckles has done a very good job with the cap management i think trying not to put guys on LTIR if he doesn't have too and bank the daily cap space to he has room to work with (6.3 mill in cap space so far).

Ghost will not require waivers until he has been on the roster past 30 days or has played 10 games which CF has weigh knowing that once the trade deadline has passed waivers are not required anymore.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because he took the easy way out.

Gus was training in his homeland with Oskar and Hagg this offseason and well who knows Oskar and/or Hagg may have suggested it to him and Chuckles instead of doing his due diligence probably said f**k it and faxed him a contract.

I agree with most of this....but it was likely Fletcher saw the name Gustafsson, knew there was a very large Swedish immigrant population in Minnesota and thought "Yes! Another piece to the puzzle".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

WOW....

SO, now what?!

Weird move all around. Love the speculation and all but I'm anxious to see the eventual "why" behind this.

I also can't believe no one claimed him.....YIKES.

I can believe no one claimed him, at his salary. Only the Flyers are delusional enough, to think he's worth that much. Trade him, package him to move him. I don't want him. I don't want Gus, either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

SO, now what?!

He more than likely plays tonight.

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Weird move all around. Love the speculation and all but I'm anxious to see the eventual "why" behind this.

This is a procedural thing...so very day they don't play Ghost can be assigned to the taxi squad now where they can continue to bank cap space.

Chuckles has done a very good job with the cap management i think trying not to put guys on LTIR if he doesn't have too and bank the daily cap space to he has room to work with (6.3 mill in cap space so far).

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree with most of this....but it was likely Fletcher saw the name Gustafsson, knew there was a very large Swedish immigrant population in Minnesota and thought "Yes! Another piece to the puzzle".

Wait until he signs, undrafted Leif Erikson the XXV.

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1

Just now, FD19372 said:

I don't want him. I don't want Gus, either.

Well someone has to play with Sam and i would rather it be Ghost than Gus or Prosser.

So let him play he and Sam have looked ok the last two games...it is the other two pairs honestly that concern me most.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Hellebuyck!!!!!!!

:beer:

He's on my Conn Smythe team. I don't want the Flyers near him this season, smarta*s.😁

Edited by FD19372

19 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I would have bet a large amount of money on him being picked up.

He certainly would have been had it not been for those two extra years at 4.5 mill per.

And he still can be traded...but right now if you are going to invest the cap space there are just better options out there with better contracts who team may want to move.

Ghost could still be a desperation last hour before the trade deadline deal. But right now other GM don't want to chose to soon maybe....they still have 12 days to look for other options.

But you never know a GM knowing if he doesn't do something to get in the playoffs might pull the trigger on Ghost.

But just saying it is highly unlikely.

Basically what i have been saying. Bank that cap space.

Too bad the NHL isn't like the NFL where you can roll over unused cap space to the next year...nope use it or lose it.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Can you believe you created this forum 10 years ago .....wow where has time gone ..... I joined 3 days after you went live ....

agree ...10 years later this organization still confuses me!

I wish someone had saved my rant.  It was apparently epic but all I remember was yelling at my screen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I've been watching Flyers hockey for (too many) decades, I've been reading what you goofs have been posting on multiple forums for longer than I care to admit

I bet your IQ has suffered from this.

I blame Lindros.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Can you believe you created this forum 10 years ago .....wow where has time gone ..... I joined 3 days after you went live ....

agree ...10 years later this organization still confuses me!

He provided us a place to bitch and rant about Giroux and Jake he saw it coming....

:BrownBag:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1