Kirill Kaprizov signs 5-Year, $45 Million Deal

CreaseAndAssist

He came a day before the camp is starting. 53 Wild players without Kaprizov and 54 with him we are going to see tomorrow at the camp. Nice for the team to have him at the camp, because he was able to get a visa and air plane tickets before that time. With him the team will look better,as well as youngsters will get a better experience out of him. 82 games of full season seems very intriguing for our team with Kaprizov, Fiala, Boldy, Rossi and practically changed blue lines. Hope our goalies will play stronger too this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, radoran said:

A player can only sign an extension in the last year of the deal.

Either way, they'll have to start that process way sooner and hope to continue to convince him to sign that at the end of Year 4.  But I don't think that will play out too well for the Wild.  But my guess is they start that process before the No Trade Kicks in; because that is effectively the point of no return (literally and figuratively).  

• Like 1

Every team in the NHL has the moral responsibility and duty to have one or two albatross contracts* to be stuck with. With the Parisé/Suter buyouts, the Wild needed to assess and correct that situation.

* This label is subject to approval and confirmed once Kaprizov signs a long-term extension or if he's ahead of four sophomore seasons. 

• Like 1

I dunno...  With all the crap he did - and then to see the video above of him smiling - just something makes me now view him as a complete pain in the a$$. I'd rather have three Fiala's than one Kirill (assuming Fiala would have signed for lower $ for longer term)...

Essentially next year is the year to do it then - because after that things get very dicey with the dead money for #9 & #20...  And I think if we thought the past several years were a clusterfvck with Kirill - I have a feeling we've seen nothing yet when we have to start dealing with him in years 3 thru 5 of his contract and all the chaos that will come with it...

Although he got his boatload of money - I think there's a lot of people like me who now have some distain for the guy...  

Edited by Confrontational
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Wow...$9 million a year for 5 years after a 55 game NHL career. Nice work if you can get it.

He also was the best KHL forward in previous 2 seasons in a row who was able to reach Gagarin Cup finals twice and to win it once.

7 hours ago, Math said:

Well, $9M AAV it is. Which makes many other contracts look as bargains. Not let's hope for the Wild to have inked a regular 30+ goals/80+ pts scorer and a leader staying away from injuries.

I agree, let's hope he will be able to place 30+ goals/ 80+ points during the regular season and will stay away from injuries during that time. That's all we need out of him at least till 2026 season, and then we will talk again about his new contract.

Optimism is always a better helper than pessimism.

I am glad also that Bill Guerin was able to meet Kirill Kaprizov at the airport and was happy too.

23 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

AAV 9 mil is just insane, no matter what....

However, the blow is softened if he produces at a high level.

If he's not a 30-40 goal, 80 point man, this contract sucks even more.

I think he will. I just do not believe that he will not come close to that number. Probably, by the huge help of his friend Zuccarello and other players of this team.

Kaprizov and his agent probably added the NTC so it felt like they won the negotiations.
Done is done, Now the only way other teams can't just focus on shutting him down is if Rossi and Boldy and others play up to expectations.
Would be great to have some real chemistry with whatever linemates he ends with.

Oh, And C&A..."But the mustard-colored breezers and gloves are garish"
Thank You !! ....I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt that way. 😅

• Like 2

18 hours ago, radoran said:

As with any contract, how the player produces over the course of it will determine whether or not it was a "bad deal." If y'all get an annual 70-80 point player over the course of the deal, that's the price of doing business inthe NHL

Thinking twice about this, I think it does make perfect sense. I just heard a couple of former NHLers and coaches who basically said "yeah, a shitload amount of money but that's the new NHL standards". Every other team would've done the same.

And as confirmed by Russo and the Athletic, the 5-yr/$45M was the offer on the table from day one. Negotiations lasted long probably because of the NTC are maybe also the money distribution (real salary) over the years as young players want to get most of the cash early in the contract while GMs are likely to distribute it more or les evenly.

Finally @Alexandron made a good point about his career: he was successful in the KHL before joining the Wild. Kaprizov was not a "real" rookie in a sense he was an unexperienced 18-year old coming straight from the juniors. That's why there was less risk to go for that kind of deal and have the expected return for this in terms of production. And like always, only time will tell if this was a good deal or not.

• Like 2