Eichel to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, Picks

Sabres trade Eichel to Golden Knights after long dispute

The Buffalo Sabres are trading the three-time All-Star centre and former team captain to the Vegas Golden Knights, ending what had become a contentious relationship between player and team. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports Alex Tuch and picks are part of the Sabres return.

The Jack Eichel era in Buffalo is finally over.

The Sabres are trading the three-time All-Star centre and former team captain to the Vegas Golden Knights, ending what had become a contentious relationship between player and team.

While the deal is still pending a trade call with the league, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports forwards Alex Tuch and Peyton Krebs, a 2022 first-round pick and a third-round pick in 2023 are going back to the Sabres, who will send a 2023 third-round pick along with Eichel to Vegas.

Pending trade call, The @BuffaloSabres trade Jack Eichel and a 2023 3rd round pick, to the @GoldenKnights for Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, a 1st in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) November 4, 2021

Tuch has not played this season after undergoing shoulder surgery in late July. He was given a six-month timeline for recovery after the operation. The 25-year-old, who is signed at a cap hit of $4.75 through the 2025-26 season, had 18 goals and 33 points in 55 games last season. 

Krebs, 20, is without a point in nine games with the Golden Knights this season. He was selected 17th overall by Vegas in the 2019 NHL Draft. He had one assist in four games with the Golden Knights last season, posting one goal and five points in five AHL games with the Henderson Silver Knights, and 13 goals and 43 points in 24 WHL games with the Winnipeg Ice.

The Eichel Saga

The 24-year-old Eichel remains sidelined with a neck injury since last March. Limited to 21 games last season, Eichel had two goals and 18 points. 

Selected second overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft out of Boston University, Eichel has appeared in 375 career games with the Sabres over six seasons, scoring 139 goals and adding 216 assists.

In the fall of 2017, Eichel signed an eight-year, $80 million extension with the Sabres, leaving four years after the current season remaining on his deal.

Though Eichel expressed discontentment over his team's lengthy playoff drought in the spring of 2020 (“I’m fed up with the losing and I’m fed up and I’m frustrated,” the North Chelmsford, MA native said at the time), most of what Eichel called a "disconnect" between the player and the Sabres in May comes from how to treat the herniated disc in his neck.

While Eichel wished to undergo disc replacement surgery, the Sabres balked at the idea and favoured fusion surgery, citing the fact that no NHL player had ever undergone the replacement procedure before.

With Eichel's injury still untreated, he failed his physical prior to the start of the season and was stripped of his captaincy by general manager Kevyn Adams.

In an effort to speed along a move away from the Sabres, Eichel made a change in representation in September, hiring agent Pat Brisson.

Internationally, Eichel has represented the United States on a number of occasions, including as part of a bronze medal-winning effort at the 2015 IIHF World Hockey Championships in the Czech Republic.

• Good Post 1

It is me or Vegas is finally starting screwing things up? No, because there's this thing called, hum, a salary cap. When Stone, Pacioretty come back, good luck with the calculations.

Or there's another plan: sexually assault them, making their contracts void as a consequence. You solve your cap problem, the fine is lower than breaking the cap rules and you don't forfeit picks. Win-win-win. Isn't Butmann's world wonderful?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32549854/buffalo-sabres-trade-jack-eichel-vegas-golden-knights

Eichel gets his preferred surgery and can't take contact for at least three months. Could be back on the ice before the end of the season. Likely won't have played an actual hockey game for over a year at that point.

Tuch appears to be a 20/50 forward - did we mention he's on LTRI? Krebs has "potential". And Buffalo gets probably a mid to low round 1st.

In the end, this is probably addition by distraction subtraction for the Sabres. Not a great haul on the first look.

I honestly don't much like this for Vegas, either, mainly because I'm not at all sold on Eichel as a player and this appears to put them pretty close to the cap next year with a lot of holes to fill.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Pacioretty dealt...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

BS is what this is for all of us.  I bought an NHL jersey with that pricks name and number.  Now its useless.  Never again do I buy a sports jersey.  Not unless its 17 Josh Allen.  We got screwed and have a moron for  a GM.  He let him go

You surely have a Ryan Miller one don’t you?

If I recall, you may have mentioned once or twice that you were a huge fan of his when he was in Buffalo…..

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by Samifan
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Samifan said:

If I recall, you may have mentioned once or twice that you were a huge fan of his when he was in Buffalo…..

He "had" a Ryan Miller one.

The police took it because Miller was still in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• pilldoc changed the title to Confirmed: Eichel traded to Vegas Knights.
57 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Miller was great here for years.  Won President trophy 🏆 and would have won Cup in 06 if we didn’t lose 4 starting D men for game 7. Tallinder would have been enough.  Miller was great.  Best American born goalie ever 

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

The deal that myself and @Brewin Flames were talking about a rumoured package centred around Matthew Tkachuk. Would have been great Buffalo and bad for Calgary, imo.

No doubt. Thank God it only turned out to be rumours. Looking back at the rumour with Calgary, it looks for sure smoke sent out by Eichel agents because that rumoured Calgary deal kills what Buffalo ended up getting from Vegas.

The Vegas deal, injured player for injured player makes way more sense, the rumoured Calgary deal made no sense at all - and just by coincidence was sent out just before the Vegas deal went final.

Looks to me the Eichel agents sent out the Calgary rumour to pressure Vegas to finalize deal - and Vegas fell for it.

Wow!  What an overpay.  Krebs, Tuch, another protected first rounder and a few more picks.  I would NOT have made this trade.  Eichel may come back healthy (and I know Tuch is getting healthy), but a healthy Tuch and Krebs (high upside and cost controlled) plus additional high picks is too high.  IF Wild had competed, it would have taken at least Rossi, likely an EEK or Fiala and 2-3 high draft picks.  Too rich for my blood.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Wow!  What an overpay.  Krebs, Tuch, another protected first rounder and a few more picks.  I would NOT have made this trade.  Eichel may come back healthy (and I know Tuch is getting healthy), but a healthy Tuch and Krebs (high upside and cost controlled) plus additional high picks is too high.  IF Wild had competed, it would have taken at least Rossi, likely an EEK or Fiala and 2-3 high draft picks.  Too rich for my blood.  Thoughts?

My initial thought was and is what a great trade for Vegas.

Eichel is a genuine high-end talent and Vegas IMO didn't give up any cornerstones. Tuch and Krebs have yet to show anything substantial and picks are always crapshoot. 

Slightly risky due to his injury but definitely interesting to see what Eichel could do in Vegas. I feel like the Sabres and the people around him were holding him back.

EDIT: I think this thread is in the wrong forum.

Edited by Hockey-78
addition
  • Like 2