2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

16 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

You just know that Fletcher will find a way to **** it up.

No we don't.

I've heard the man say too many times that team lacks high end talent.

I don't see where getting a top 5 pick is something he's going to take lightly, and not bring as many assets to bear on it as possible. 

There should be a good hockey player available at #5.  I expect the Flyers to pick one and for that player to make in strong impact in a few years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

it made me think that he had seen him skate

So what you're confirming is yes it worked - since you thought that but i don't trust this talking head.

He is about as reliable as a Mel Kiper who also works for ESPN...or Todd Mcshay always talking out their asses...they get close but never predict anything useful....it is why they never really boast afterward how "correct" they were.

All i know is i want the Flyer to take a guy they need and Savoie checks those boxes the only real knock on him can be hi size.

Brad Marchand stands a whopping 5-9....and before anyone ats at me i am not saying this kid is going to be this type of player just that 5-9 guys can play in this league....Jared Spurgeon and Cole Caulfield guys do it more often that people think.

I'd love to have this kid....then if you want you could call the Oilers about acquiring his brother even who already has chemistry with Brink. Never been a big believer in having to have brothers on the same team but these brothers i would sign off on.

But the Oilers would need something nice in return....question is what? Any way that is neither here nor there right now draft Savoie....that is all i'm out.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

are any of these guys immediately ready to play at the NHL level?

I wish I could honestly answer this but if it is Savoie I would give him another year or two.

Camp always sheds light on this.

But I lean more towards more time developing unless they blow the doors off.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish I could honestly answer this but if it is Savoie I would give him another year or two.

Camp always sheds light on this.

But I lean more towards more time developing unless they blow the doors off.

But #thewaythey'vealwaysdoneit is to rush the player into the NHL as soon as possible because he's going to be the greatest player ever in the history of hockey until he's a #disappointment because he's only a consistent 20/50 player.

It's the way they've always done it.

No reason to stop now.

The results speak for themselves.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

But #thewaythey'vealwaysdoneit is to rush the player into the NHL as soon as possible because he's going to be the greatest player ever in the history of hockey until he's a #disappointment because he's only a consistent 20/50 player.

It's the way they've always done it.

No reason to stop now.

The results speak for themselves.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I know. I know. But I am hoping they will try something new.

But I will not hold my breathe on it because well I want to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

are any of these guys immediately ready to play at the NHL level?

We don't need the guy who's ready to play in the NHL...we need the best player available when our pick comes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

No we don't.

I've heard the man say too many times that team lacks high end talent.

I don't see where getting a top 5 pick is something he's going to take lightly, and not bring as many assets to bear on it as possible. 

There should be a good hockey player available at #5.  I expect the Flyers to pick one and for that player to make in strong impact in a few years.

Yes there should be a good hockey player available at #5 but I don't have as much confidence in Fletcher as you do that he won't **** things up.

• Like 2

Chuckles has actually drafted ok, his mistake has been striving to slip into the playoffs by signing broken 30 year olds to stupid contracts, and picking outside the top 5, when you have an inside the bottom 5 hockey team.

Drafting in the NHL is part science, part crystal ball, part good fortune. Its very hard to predict how 18 year olds will mature on and off the ice. The NFL drafts young men in their mid twenties. Thats why they come in the league and prosper right away. 

They should get a good player at 5, and hopefully are patient with his development. My wish for this draft is New Jersey gets the Nolan Patrick of the draft and the Flyers get the Cale Makar. 

Its okay to dream.

My prediction is a trade. You go Chuckles!!!

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

2 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Yes there should be a good hockey player available at #5 but I don't have as much confidence in Fletcher as you do that he won't **** things up.

To clarify.

Even though I defend Fletcher on here it's not because I think he's great.

There is a narrative that he is a stumble-****** idiot that is not accurate nor fair.

The man can make a draft pick.

The man built a team that had multiple 100 point seasons.

He can get #5 right.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To clarify.

Even though I defend Fletcher on here it's not because I think he's great.

There is a narrative that he is a stumble-****** idiot that is not accurate nor fair.

The man can make a draft pick.

The man built a team that had multiple 100 point seasons.

He can get #5 right.

This is true.

The man hasn't won a single division title in 11 years as a GM and has left both his teams with terrible blunders at FA signings and has been on the losing end of most of his trades. Also true. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And there's ABSOLUTELY no reason not to believe he will screw up the 5th round pick.  Whether that's taking a player that has no business being taken 5th.  Whether that means trading the pick and ONCE AGAIN completely overpaying for a product that is flawed and poorly scouted.  Whatever that might mean.  Make all the excuses you want.  There's VERY LITTLE to defend when it comes to Fletcher.  Period

Who is the player you want them to draft at #5?

On 5/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, pilldoc said:

you got me by 2 years .....I was born July 1969 .......

Dec 69 here

Now, selecting at 5, I really hope the Flyers get to select Savoie.  

I don't really know anything about these young kids but from what I've been reading, he sounds like a great pick for the Flyers.

PLUS, we could make this the goal song for when he scores.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Dec 69 here

Now, selecting at 5, I really hope the Flyers get to select Savoie.  

I don't really know anything about these young kids but from what I've been reading, he sounds like a great pick for the Flyers.

PLUS, we could make this the goal song for when he scores.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

That would need a re-master featuring snoop dog (if that's still his name)

:PostAward4:

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:03 AM, CoachX said:

Who is the player you want them to draft at #5?

If the Flyers trade down and get an additional pick , Cutter Gauthier is a guy who has an incredible scouting report and is the type of guy we could use

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2022-nhl-draft/2022-draft-profile-lw-cutter-gauthier/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yeah.  A 6 rank is crazy for Cutter.  He's probably a middle six two-way forward.  And, his consistency is a big issue.  If he's taken somewhere around 18-22, that's one thing.  But a 6 rank is not where Cutter should be selected.  He skates well for his size.  But, needs that playmaker to set him up.  He's not the guy that's going to generate his own chances very often to get his shot off.

The scouting report makes him sound like he will be a first line player. I haven’t seen any of the top prospects play, I’ve seen highlights and a lot of these guys seem talented. I just hope we make the right pick. We need skill as well as size on the wing but due to the fact that Ellis is a big question mark and probably can’t be counted on long term and Risto is a flop, I think we are gonna take one of those right handed defenseman that are rated in the top 5.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

@FireDillabaugh

Who do you think they should pick?

I think he answered it ....at least based on his post above.......

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

The pick has to be Savoie if he's still there at 5

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I believe they have already decided on Tocchet, which would be a mistake.  But, it's who I think Chuck-in-charge will select.  If it has to be a previous Flyer, I'd rather it be Kevin Dineen.

I'm afraid it will be Tocchet too and I'm not really happy if that is the direction they go .....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yeah.  A 6 rank is crazy for Cutter.  He's probably a middle six two-way forward.  And, his consistency is a big issue.  If he's taken somewhere around 18-22, that's one thing.  But a 6 rank is not where Cutter should be selected.  He skates well for his size.  But, needs that playmaker to set him up.  He's not the guy that's going to generate his own chances very often to get his shot off.

Agree .....  Here is the low down I found .....

https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

While Gauthier is dangerous with the puck on his stick, and his willingness and ability to shoot from anywhere have their merits, he may need to be a bit wiser with his shot selection. Some bad-angle shots, if missing the net, can inadvertently start a breakout or odd-man rush for the opposing team. Late in games, especially close games, that could be a major problem. On that note, he can be careless with the puck at times and look for high-danger plays instead of making the safe play. 

Without the puck, his pass reception needs some improvement. Hockey is a high-speed sport, so you won’t always get the perfect pass. There are times where passes will be in his feet or not directly to him and he has trouble handling them, which can result in a turnover. In addition, his intensity level and consistency can waiver on a shift-to-shift basis. He may be able to get away with a bit more as a winger rather than as a center, but nonetheless, these are areas to improve upon. 

Strengths

Explosive skating and edge-work

Wrist shot

Two-way play

Positional versatility

Special teams reliability

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

Pass reception

Shot selection

Consistency

NHL Potential

Gauthier has the potential to fit in several slots on an NHL lineup due to his positional flexibility, and it’ll make him a valuable player to any team; contending or building. However, the middle-six forward role may be his most suitable spot. He could be that second-line, play-driving, scoring winger due to his shot, explosiveness and on-puck strength or as a third-line center who will contribute offensively, but is responsible defensively. As he continues to develop, his special teams responsibility should continue to grow and he’d be a staple on both power-play and penalty-killing units. 

Cutter Gauthier – 2022 NHL Draft Projection

Gauthier looks like he could be drafted anywhere from the mid-to-late first round. Teams that may be looking for an immediate-impact type player would have to wait on him as he’s committed to Boston College for the 2022-23 season.

I agree with you .... if Savoie is available at #5 then IMO, the Flyers have to go BPA which is Savoie. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Really?  You might need to pay a bit more attention.  I stated the selection I want, yet again, in the last post.  I certainly haven't made that a secret.  I thought you read my posts?  Didn't you say that somewhere and make another of your smartazz remarks when doing so?

Since Trotz has become available, he should be priority 1.  However, as I've stated often already, I believe they have already decided on Tocchet, which would be a mistake.  But, it's who I think Chuck-in-charge will select.  If it has to be a previous Flyer, I'd rather it be Kevin Dineen.  Bill Dineen was a family friend and I got to know Kevin, see the type of person he is, and I think he's the type of teacher this team could benefit from being behind the bench.  Kevin learned well from his father.  And I don't think he's gotten a fair shot yet.  Whether he wants the job or not is another story.  Because it will be a difficult job and might be another situation where he's not given a fair shot because of this organization's incompetent front office.

I dont have the time or energy to sit through all your dissertations. I was hoping you could give a simple answer to a direct question. Obviously you can't. You do a good job of stating what you think they will do, or what they should do, but you can't say what you want them to do. 

That's probably too risky for you to put your neck out like that

• Uggh... 1

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'm afraid it will be Tocchet too and I'm not really happy if that is the direction they go .....

If it gets us (A)  Bedard and (B) rid of Fletcher, where do I sign?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If it gets us (A)  Bedard and (B) rid of Fletcher, where do I sign?

'

Tru dat ......

Hard to argue against that logic.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I think he answered it ....at least based on his post above.......

True, we do need skill, speed and finesse up front, but we also need some big wingers with skill too. So if either Savoie or Slavofsky happens to fall to #5, then either one will do. As slow and unskilled as we are, we are also small and weak and lose almost every battle on the boards and in front, when we played the Isles 2 years ago in the playoffs,we were completely out hit, out muscled and out skated. It was purely Hart that got us to seven games, the writing was on the wall then. We can’t play a skating game or a physical game .At least in the old days we would outwork and outhit our opponents and win a lot of games on sheer determination, even if they were better than us skill wise. We took Edmonton to 7 games in 87, their centers were Messier and Gretzky, we had Poulin and Sutter, our team wasn’t highly skilled but we worked as a team and put in a big effort every night.

• Like 1