Game 21: Pittsburgh Penguins at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/25/22 @ 5:30, TNT

Howie58

As a good soldier, I will set up tomorrow's game thread after finishing some work.  But I am rapidly losing any faith in development for this year's squad.  And I agree with Ron Jeremy that for a host of reasons, we would be better off if Coots, Cam, and Ellis were retired or on LTIR.  We don't have the human capital to compete--let's start anew.  

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Meaning: No Comcast involvement, no Dave Scott, no Paul Holmgren, no Bob Clarke anywhere near the WFC, and no Schmuck Fletcher.

I just said the same thing on Chris Maher's Youtube game video.  We've had the same crap under a multitude of coaches, all of whom with good to great pedigree.  We need new architects.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I just said the same thing on Chris Maher's Youtube game video.  We've had the same crap under a multitude of coaches, all of whom with good to great pedigree.  We need new architects.  

Are you suggesting they blow everything up? 

6 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Are you suggesting they blow everything up? 

Notfondajane:

That's a good question.  Thinking out loud, if and when Coots/Cam come back, some folks are going to be waived/demoted, whatever.  I don't follow the Phantoms.  Are the Yorks or Foersters going to contribute at the parent level?  I don't know.  Would anyone want most of this squad?  Tony D might be a good chip at the deadline.  Others are overpriced and/or injury-prone.  It is a mess. 

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Oooh ooooh....I have this one, professor. Fletcher still has a job in the NHL, because Holmgren and Scott are even bigger morons, than he is. So is Bob Clarke. I just wanted to throw his name in there, 'cause it makes me feel better.

I think you're giving Fletcher waaaaay too much credit here.

I'd say they're as equally moronic as each other.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Meaning: (#1)No Comcast involvement, (#2) no Dave Scott, (#3) no Paul Holmgren, (#4) no Bob Clarke anywhere near the WFC, and (#5) no Schmuck Fletcher.

As much as I agree with you ....#1 wishful thinking / #2 see #1 / #3 & #4 see #1 and #2 / #5 hopefully sooner than later .......

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

Unfortunately @pilldoc is right, hoping that the architects of this mess will be fired is wishful thinking. The alternative seems even more unlikely, that any of them will step down voluntarily. The Flyers need to make Big Changes. But clearing out the front office is a non-starter. So what's left? A new GM, obviously.

So...a new GM ... been there, done that, right? Not really. The last (and only) GM who had a different strategy was Hextall - different than the Flyers' Buy Your Way To The Cup strategy (which has been obsolete for years in the salary cap NHL). Hextall was making progress...the next GM will too.

ABF is fine by me.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Unfortunately @pilldoc is right, hoping that the architects of this mess will be fired is wishful thinking. The alternative seems even more unlikely, that any of them will step down voluntarily. The Flyers need to make Big Changes. But clearing out the front office is a non-starter. So what's left? A new GM, obviously.

So...a new GM ... been there, done that, right? Not really. The last (and only) GM who had a different strategy was Hextall - different than the Flyers' Buy Your Way To The Cup strategy (which has been obsolete for years in the salary cap NHL). Hextall was making progress...the next GM will too.

ABF is fine by me.

It literally is Ground Hog Day with this team.  I have been saying this for years ...until your remove the first 4 items, no GM or Coach will be able to right this ship in a correct way or the way it should be done.......  The Flyers to Comcast is literally just a line item on their budget/ledger.   Scott / Homer / Clarky are so entrenched in this team it would take an act of god to remove anyone of the.  The only parts that are movable are GM/Coach/players, however we have seen that, done that.  I have zero faith this team will right itself within the next half decade or so.  It is sad to say that since I have been a fan since the late 70's early 80's. (I was just a tad too young for the 74/75 parades  (born in summer of 69)... I will be 54 next summer).  Until the good ol' boys and Scott are gone...nothing will change.

Smash Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Well according to Hockeybuzz...aka Eklund, the Flyers are trying to trade for Vatrano. That should solve everything, but his salary isn't awful, so they could do worse :eyeroll:...oh wait, they HAVE done worse (see James van Riemsdyk).

• Uggh... 1

12 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Well according to Hockeybuzz...aka Eklund, the Flyers are trying to trade for Vatrano. That should solve everything, but his salary isn't awful, so they could do worse :eyeroll:...oh wait, they HAVE done worse (see James van Riemsdyk).

What an idiotic move that would be ..... Vratrano is sitting at 3.65 mill x3 more years. (UFA in 25-26)  He is nothing more than a possible middle forward or 4th liner. (yes I know he is currently 2nd line with Ducks but the Ducks are mentally challenged in scoring)

BUT .... that is the type of move this idiotic franchise WOULD make .......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I have absolutely no desire to see this cesspool of a team.

They truly are... Torts will push them to play up to their ability every night and Hart will give them a chance to get some points here and there, but at the end of a day the glaring lack of talent will make them finish just about at the bottom of the league. IN fact, I can see them finishing dead last... And what's even more depressing is that there is nothing to even look forward to down the road, as long as this management is in control. 

See, people love to bash Buffalo. And while they may *still* be a non-playoff team, they are fun to watch. I really believe the core of Thompson, Duhlin, Tuch, Cozens, Jack Quinn, Owen Power, and Mittelstadt is too good not to be a solid, decent team in couple of years from now.  And Luukkonen is an electrifying young goalie, having stardom written all over him. They have pieces in place; they just need experience and patience. The Flyers have nothing. There is just no direction whatsoever. They are a true AHL team, which will be an AHL team for years to come thanks to this absolute horror of a management.  

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 11/25/2022 at 11:18 PM, Howie58 said:

Notfondajane:

That's a good question.  Thinking out loud, if and when Coots/Cam come back, some folks are going to be waived/demoted, whatever.  I don't follow the Phantoms.  Are the Yorks or Foersters going to contribute at the parent level?  I don't know.  Would anyone want most of this squad?  Tony D might be a good chip at the deadline.  Others are overpriced and/or injury-prone.  It is a mess. 

I'm afraid to look into this! I might died from fright!

• Like 1