Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd bet you or I, or anyone else on here could have moved all of them!

Let's hope it is Holmgren and whomever else is part of resisting changing it's strategy in today's new world NHL off to retirement.

I would like a Cup within the next decade... 

• Like 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Let's hope it is Holmgren and whomever else is part of resisting changing it's strategy in today's new world NHL off to retirement.

I would like a Cup within the next decade... 

If this is true...then there is hope for this franchise. Glad to hear they finally (wtf took so long?) see how lousy the entire management was at their jobs.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

7 minutes ago, terp said:

@flyercanuck for sure.  Amusing to note he stopped watching for a couple of years.  There were others and it would be funny to see who was stoked and who was indignant.  

Worth adding, as others have intimated, that Chuck was just the most visible component of a completely dysfunctional organization.  It won’t change unless the Flyers completely clean house, including Scott, who seems to have already been kicked upstairs.  Actually, I blame Scott more than Fletcher.  Chuck being Chuck is his fault.

Oh, a big part of Schmuck being here was Bobby Clarke. Clarke started grooming Schmuck back in Florida. I love Bobby Clarke the hockey player. Let me preface that. I love a player who is tenacious at both offense and defense. Clarke was the original two-way center. Clarke the executive is terrible and it brings the worst out in him. Bobby Clarke's fingerprints of ineptitude, inferiority and incompetence are all over the organization. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd bet you or I, or anyone else on here could have moved all of them!

I move all of them twice a day, REGULARLY  💩

Edited by CoachX
my posts stink

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Oh, a big part of Schmuck being here was Bobby Clarke. Clarke started grooming Schmuck back in Florida. I love Bobby Clarke the hockey player. Let me preface that. I love a player who is tenacious at both offense and defense. Clarke was the original two-way center. Clarke the executive is terrible and it brings the worst out in him. Bobby Clarke's fingerprints of ineptitude, inferiority and incompetence are all over the organization. 

Interesting and plausible notion.  Organizational dysfunction, passed down like substance abuse, and afflicting an NHL franchise: Clark, Holmgren, Scott, Chuck.  I like to think Timonen and Briere are inoculated.  Are they?

I posted it earlier and repeat it.  . I think the med staff, training staff, scouting staff...hell, even the janitors and toilet paper brand are likely to change.  It may not be pretty, and it may even take out some good folks.  But we may be on the verge of a Stalinist purge of the organ-eye-zhation.   On that score--Briere as interim may make sense--he could do a lot of cleansing and leave a relatively blank slate for the permanent senior staff.

On a related note, with 20-20 hindsight, I'd say the addition of Hilferty may have been a signal things were about to change. I recall the Sixers brought in Colangelo as an advisor or whatever before they canned Sam Hinkie.  I have a feeling the pot was stirring long before today's firing.  I said it earlier today--Scott didn't give Fletcher a vote of confidence after last week's press conference.  Maybe today shouldn't surprise us. 

• Like 4

I honestly think Briere will be named permanent GM. I thinks there's a philosophical principle that states the simplest explanation is usually the best one (for the life of me I can't remember what's its called, but its like I keep seeing it everywhere). Well, given that Briere is/was groomed by Holmgren, is an ex-flyer, and it was widely reported he would replace dingleberry, I think its obvious. The interim is just the Flyers playing the game and leaving themselves an out. Even thought the entire hockey world knows they should have canned Fletcher a long time ago, I think they still try to save face by making it look like they will do their due diligence. 

Both Clarke and Holmgren are past retirement age so posting on Twitter about “big changes this summer” isn’t exactly bold speculation. I’d be a little more hopeful if the source wasn’t simply “I hear” or “I’m told.” 

Like everyone I hope it’s true and I’m not a Twitter-er so maybe that’s what passes for journalism there I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

I'm out of reactions for the day. So, you get a meme.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CoachX said:

there's a philosophical principle that states the simplest explanation is usually the best one (for the life of me I can't remember what's its called, but its like I keep seeing it everywhere)

Lack of creativity

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

So who takes over the "president of hockey operations" role? And how long before we the fans, start calling for Danny's head? First loss of next season, errrr opening game?

F it! Let's start NOW

Fire Briere!!  :dancing:

• Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

F it! Let's start NOW

Fire Briere!!  :dancing:

I'm not there, but I'm not bullish.

I'm mostly just skeptical because it's the Flyers. I'm not screaming, "Noooooooooo!" like when Fletcher was hired.  The way this turned out absolutely didn't surprise me.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. A useless, fat pig.

Briere wouldn't be the first former player to do well. He wouldn't be the first to be way over his head, either.   I wouldn't want to rule him out just because he's a former Flyer, but it IS a strike against at this point. I'd love it if it were someone completely outside the inbred Flyer chromosomal cess pool so there's no "claws" in him from the civil war era Flyers pantheon.

Is that really too much to ask?

If it's Briere, I'm sorry, but it's just a continuation of that God awful jaw line.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I honestly think Briere will be named permanent GM. I thinks there's a philosophical principle that states the simplest explanation is usually the best one (for the life of me I can't remember what's its called, but its like I keep seeing it everywhere). 

Ockham's Razor  🤓

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I honestly think Briere will be named permanent GM. I thinks there's a philosophical principle that states the simplest explanation is usually the best one (for the life of me I can't remember what's its called, but its like I keep seeing it everywhere). Well, given that Briere is/was groomed by Holmgren, is an ex-flyer, and it was widely reported he would replace dingleberry, I think its obvious. The interim is just the Flyers playing the game and leaving themselves an out. Even thought the entire hockey world knows they should have canned Fletcher a long time ago, I think they still try to save face by making it look like they will do their due diligence. 

Occam's razor or principle of parsimony 

11 hours ago, radoran said:

Having let Fletcher put all the cows out of the barn, Scott decides NOW is the time to close the barn door.

Brilliant.

I agree. He should have fired him, before he could have  botched the NHL trade deadline, which he did. Thank God, he didn't wait until after the NHL draft. At least there's that.

• Like 1