2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#7 overall) is Matvei Michkov

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I actually despise that whole "Michigan goal" thing but there's no denying the talent. 

I'm with ya...I like his shot better than anything.

Hopefully he can gain some strength over the next 3 years. He's small to start with, but he's also not very strong and his skating is meh. But you can't NOT like that shot and those hands. 

Edited by flyercanuck

More scouting reports ......

Here is a sentence I do not write lightly: Matvei Michkov is the best draft-eligible winger the NHL has seen since 2007, when the Chicago Blackhawks selected Patrick Kane first overall.The best way to describe Michkov's game is "electric." Every time he touches the puck, one anticipates that something special could be imminent.

Michkov is at his best when he's starting along the walls or behind the net. Michkov is a threat to create even from these ostensibly low-danger positions. He carries pucks from the perimeter into dangerous areas of the ice. He's a high-end playmaker who penetrates the middle lanes and finds teammates in scoring areas.

He does not hesitate to carry the puck into the offensive zone even when he is alone against multiple defenders. Despite the mismatch, Michkov usually maintains possession long enough for teammates to join him. The Russian winger is the draft's best stickhandler, and it's in this way that his 5'10", 148-pound frame actually becomes an advantage; with short arms and a low center of gravity, Michkov maneuvers around defenders with ease even when he's seemingly backed into a corner.

He's a lethal goal scorer. Whenever Michkov has the puck, other teams take notice and often become paralyzed.

Michkov isn't a physical player, but he's active in stick battles. While he's not going to hand out many hits, he does not shy away from contact. He is strong at the waist and in the legs, and opposing players struggle to knock him off the puck.

Let's put his season in perspective. Michkov tallied nine goals and 11 assists in 27 games with Sochi of the KHL (plus three with St. Petersburg), which is far and away the league's best-ever showing by a first-time draft-eligible player. Michkov's 0.67 points per game ranks above what Artemi Panarin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Kirill Kaprizov and Pavel Buchnevich tallied in their age-19 season.

When watching him play, it's hard to miss the similarities between him and players like Panarin and Nikita Kucherov. Like Panarin, he creates zone entries in impossible situations and shows incredible playmaking ability. Like Kucherov, he is a lethal shooting threat. There is every reason to believe that Michkov will be a superstar just as those two are—maybe better.

Besides his skating and defense, the biggest concern with Michkov is his availability. Russia's war with Ukraine has created numerous geopolitical consequences that are bleeding into hockey. Even without that, Michkov is under contract with St. Petersburg of the KHL for three more seasons. The earliest Michkov's drafting team will see him is the spring of 2026.

But look, we're talking about a rare player who should be able to give his drafting team 10-15 years of superstardom. Michkov is the best Russian prospect since Evgeni Malkin in 2005. If not for the off-ice context, he'd be the second player on my list without hesitation. If he does fall because of optics and/or logistics, then it's going to be a franchise-changing moment for whoever decides to take the plunge.

I love it. First potential superstar since Lindros. The usual worries about a Russian aside - esp these days - lord just watch this guy handle and shoot the puck. He sounds sincere about wanting to be drafted by the Flyers. Sure they all say that about whoever drafts them but he really does sound like he wants to play in Philly.

What are the chances he gets out of his contract that runs through 2025-26? I'm sure both sides are working on it.

• Like 1

Love this pick even if he no-shows. Holmgren, Clarke, Barber etc. would never have made this selection. They can roam the halls forever but their influence has come to an end. Hooray!

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

Is Michkov capable of playing left wing? As of now we are loaded with right wingers, Michkov, Konecny, Tippet, Foerester, Brink and Allison. Even if we trade Konecny all the right wings we have, other than Allison project as first and second line guys. Since many are unproven,.it's stupid to trade them, you won't get top value.  So moving Michkov ,since he's a lefty to left wing is a good idea, we are also very weak at that position. 

If we trade Konecny hopefully we get a center or defenseman in that deal, plus a pick. Then you can have Tippett, Foerester ,Brink and Allison as your top four RW and then eventually have Michkov and Farabee as your top two LW.

Center can be Gauthier, Coots? and Frost but we still don't know if Coots will return to form and if Gauthier will succeed at center. In any trades we make with Sanhein and Konecny we need center and defense coming back and since we will suck, we should have a top 5 pick next year plus FLAs pick to replenish defense and center even more.

I doubt Gauthier is going to be a center at the NHL level. He'll get eaten alive. He's better suited for the left side. 

Agreed that if Konecny is moved, a center prospect needs to come back in the worst way. That's part of the reason I wanted to see a deal with St Louis to get a guy like Zachary Bolduc in return.

If Sanheim is moved for picks, hopefully we can land a 2nd today and add a guy like Riley Heidt. Intrigue abounds for day 2.

• Good Post 1

I'm beginning to think the business types might have had a hand in pairing Michkov with Bonk.  Michkov is high risk, high return.  On the other hand, Bonk is characterized as a a good all-arounder but having less upside than other D-men in the pool.  This seems like a "portfolio" approach seeking balance.  I wouldn't have gone for Michkov on a number of fronts, and believe there's at best a 50% chance he shows.  But I agree with others that it was a courageous choice that might not have come from prior management.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The important glean from that interview "I know I'm under contract but I intend to come over as soon as possible". Reading the team leaves...it leaves the door open for the Flyers to pay millions and millions to secure an early release. 

Second important glean, the kid knows the history of the Flyers and was hoping to get drafted by them. Kudos to the Flyer reps who were in that room where he "hit it off" with them. Talk about a major feather in this regimes cap...their personality and lack of phony crap REALLY resonated with this kid!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Is Michkov capable of playing left wing?

This kid should be the best goal scorer the Flyers have had in a long while. You don't make him play another position. And who knows what we have in 3 years.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This kid should be the best goal scorer the Flyers have had in a long while. You don't make him play another position. And who knows what we have in 3 years.

Agree 100%. Make the lesser talent move if necessary. Let this kid play in his comfort zone. 

• Like 3

Bonk over Perreault. This says 2 things to me. One, there was a real organizational need for a steady, large puck moving d man who can eat valuable minutes. Second...Flyers thought Perreault's outstanding stats were due to being on that line. In other words, he was a passenger that was not capable of driving offense without superstars around him. At least my read. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I'm beginning to think the business types might have had a hand in pairing Michkov with Bonk.  Michkov is high risk, high return.  On the other hand, Bonk is characterized as a a good all-arounder but having less upside than other D-men in the pool.  This seems like a "portfolio" approach seeking balance.  I wouldn't have gone for Michkov on a number of fronts, and believe there's at best a 50% chance he shows.  But I agree with others that it was a courageous choice that might not have come from prior management.  

I kind of felt the same; didn't like the pick at all to start but the more I read the more i was ok with it. RHD who projects to be top 4 guy is good in my book. Not so sexy or flashy stat/skill wise, but could be a key reliable minute muncher that teams need.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good to see...

Stanley Cup or bust!!!

Its still not fully sunk in. Flyers have an ACTUAL superstar. Dont care how it happened, IT HAPPENED!! 

When I was younger and we won the Lindros trade I got smashed and drunkenly got a Flyers logo tattooed on myself to celebrate. Never regretted the tattoo, but I'm a tad more reserved in my old age...lol. BUT the unbridled excitement was still there ALONG with the satisfaction (and pride) that this management group has the balls to swing for the fences. Like others have said...and I concur, Fletcher NEVER makes this pick....*****!!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

12 minutes ago, Digityman said:

@jammer2 I'm sure there was a sheep in drunken stupor somewhere.

OMG ...to funny.   @Digityman good to see you around again.  Hope all is well.

Speaking of sheep...where the hell has @Podein25 been?  Haven't seen him around in a bit. @Podein25 get your butt back here ... we miss your witty humor. :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Its still not fully sunk in. Flyers have an ACTUAL superstar. Dont care how it happened, IT HAPPENED!! 

I know!  For once I went to bed thinking .....that was a great pick ...granted we do have to wait for bit..... but for the first time in ages the Flyers actually have a legit superstar in the making.

And YES I AGREE......... there  is NO WAY IN HELL Fletch makes that pick and probably picks Leonard who was drafted by the Caps and then the Caps take Michkov.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well , if he is capable, why not?

You moved Gauthier to a new position. Or move one of our right wings to the left side. Whoever has the skill to move is fine . We are very weak on LW . If he's the most naturally talented it shouldn't be a problem for him.

Edited by RonJeremy

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Its a good day when Cap fans are upset about the Flyers picking their guy ... LOL

Enjoy! :) 

• I’m so bitter now, I don’t even care who the Caps draft now.
  • First time I ever angrily yelled F*** at a pick……
  • How is there no deal to trade up for 6? Simashev would have been there at 8 god dammit
  • Damn Phily!
  • Ugh. Of course.
  • FU flyers
  • Should have paid the price to move up. Weak.
  • I mean I am more than okay with Leonard but I really don't want Mitchkov in Philly
  • Flyers will take the russian, breaking our hearts.
  • F you Philly. Such a gut punch.

TRUE COMEDY GOLD!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

You moved Gauthier to a new position. Or move one of our right wings to the left side. Whoever has the skill to move is fine . We are very weak on LW .

You have Desnoyers and Noah Cates are your 2nd and 3rd line LW and Farabee your top line LW for now.

However they still need to trade some RWs when it suits them best.

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

You moved Gauthier to a new position. Or move one of our right wings to the left side. Whoever has the skill to move is fine . We are very weak on LW . If he's the most naturally talented it shouldn't be a problem for him.

You want him to come to a brand new Country, brand new culture, brand new language and take the one thing hes great at...playing his position with amazing skill...and make him play a position he's never played? 

With ALL that overwhelming new stuff being thrown at him in waves, it seems smart to leave the Hockey part alone. 

• Like 4