2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#22 overall from LA Kings) is Oliver Bonk (D)

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

• pilldoc changed the title to 2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#22 overall from LA Kings) is Oliver Bonk (D)
  • pilldoc locked this topic

The Flyers have selected London (OHL) defenseman Oliver Bonk with the No. 22 pick.

The Athletic NHL Draft analyst Corey Pronman’s scouting report: Bonk's toolkit looks like an NHL defenseman. He's a 6-foot-2 right shot with strong mobility and offensive touch. Bonk is able to skate pucks up ice, make some skilled plays, and shows good poise from the blue line. He's not a standout with the puck, but he can be a decent puck mover at higher levels. Defensively he's solid due to his feet and reach. Bonk isn't overly physical but he can defend well enough as a pro. He projects as a top-four defenseman in the NHL.

Pronman's prospect ranking: No. 26

Just now, pilldoc said:

Thread is now open ......

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

How great is the name BONK for a D-man? 

:dancing:

Edited by Cheesesteak
nunnya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://thehockeywriters.com/oliver-bonk-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

image.png.0d298dd062cee5d9cab94886fae60e9b.png

Oliver Bonk, son of long-time NHLer Radek Bonk, has been developing as one of the top two-way defenders of his draft class. Projected to go in the late first round, plenty of teams will have their eye on the mobile, defensively sound Ottawa native. His play in all areas of the ice show confidence in his own skills. His best plays begin in the defensive zone, starting with puck retrieval in board battles. While he isn’t a behemoth, he uses his 6-foot-1 frame well and plays a physical game. Once the puck is on his stick, it doesn’t take long for him to make a crisp transition pass or skate the puck out on his own

While his point production wasn’t record-breaking, his 40 points just begins to scratch the surface of his true offensive potential. He makes smart passes and has a strong shot from the blue line, but during the aforementioned transitions, he sets up a lot of plays that he doesn’t necessarily get credit for on the scoresheet. He plays a game similar to Jared Spurgeon, but of course with the difference being in their size.

While speed isn’t his strongest suit, Bonk is able to use strong edgework and his great stick-checking abilities to shut down offensive rushes coming his way. He was a minute-eating defenseman who was trusted in all situations of play this season. The future is bright for Bonk as he will continue to develop his skillset which is already reaching a high level. The expectation would be that he would return to the London Knights for the 2023-24 season, but with a player such as him, he could earn a trial run out of training camp depending on who he is drafted by.

Whoever drafts Bonk is likely securing a safe bet for a future top-four defenseman. He doesn’t have any glaring holes in his game, and while there are no stand-out skills that stick out above the rest, he is one of the safest defensive prospects to draft in the back half of the first round.

Oliver Bonk – NHL Draft Projection

Most mock drafts are seeing Bonk as quite the riser due to his play this season. Projected to go in the tail end of the first round, he is a prime candidate to be taken higher than many expect. There are not a ton of high-end defensive prospects in this draft, and looking at a team with multiple first-round draft picks, they could reach a bit to take such a well-rounded defenseman in the early 20s of the draft.

Oliver Bonk – NHL Draft Projection

Most mock drafts are seeing Bonk as quite the riser due to his play this season. Projected to go in the tail end of the first round, he is a prime candidate to be taken higher than many expect. There are not a ton of high-end defensive prospects in this draft, and looking at a team with multiple first-round draft picks, they could reach a bit to take such a well-rounded defenseman in the early 20s of the draft.

“He’s another admirably-skating defender in this draft class, but sets himself apart with how well he’s able to blend into offensive systems. Bonk retrieves pucks cleanly and takes advantage of all space between him and the offensive blue line.”

Strengths

Transition and breakout
    Hockey sense
    Skating
    Confidence

Under Construction – Improvements To Make

Speed

NHL Potential

Bonk has all of the skills to be a defensively responsible defenseman that can be trusted in a top-four role on an NHL team. His offensive abilities shouldn’t be looked over either, though. He won’t be putting up a ton of NHL points but his puck-moving abilities will be very noticeable during transitions. He may get an opportunity to quarterback a second power play unit, but he won’t be relied upon to have all of the offense run through him.

Flyers with a very good draft.

Regardless of what happens from here on out. 

Big, right-handed, defenseman with an NHL pedigree? 

Good pick. 

I was thinking maybe Perreault since he was still in the board, but little dudes with skating questions, the Flyers haven't been awesome at developing those players.

• Like 1

Looks good last  season 10 goals in 67 games. But what is strange talkative he played a very little games in triple A . Why would he ? I understand one year is Covid. 

Then fron tripe A hockey right into OHL and London Knights! How is ot possible playing 15 U 32 gws no games in U16 and no games U18!

I think maybe we took him a bit early. I thought he would be an early 2nd rounder BUT I think he will be good and he should be ready to step in right around the same time as Michkov gets here. It's a good solid low risk pick. 

• Like 2

After knocking the 7th pick out of the park, this one was a bit of a reach. Good player to bring Hart some help...nice to see a GM who understands defencemen should actually know their way around their own end of the rink.

Nothing against Bonk but the Flyers need almost everything, so take BPA. I don't think Bonk was it, but i guess this could still work out.

Sounds like this one was more a Jones pick given his relationship with Hunter.  If they had some inside and went with it then....i don't know. Time will tell 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm not a fan of the pick. Not at all. At the same time, Bonk is in one of the pre-eminent programs in all of junior hockey. London simply produces NHL players. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

After knocking the 7th pick out of the park, this one was a bit of a reach. Good player to bring Hart some help...nice to see a GM who understands defencemen should actually know their way around their own end of the rink.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Nothing against Bonk but the Flyers need almost everything, so take BPA. I don't think Bonk was it, but i guess this could still work out.

Sounds like this one was more a Jones pick given his relationship with Hunter.  If they had some inside and went with it then....i don't know. Time will tell 

So here are the picks after Bonk ...... Anyone stick out that would be the cut above the other?

image.png.ad2f490763c7142a20b0a6de79c35af7.png

Perreault .... but I read his skating is extremely week.  Don't know much about the others .......

Quentin Musty. His game took a giant leap when Sudbury brought in Derek Mackenzie to coach the team. Musty scored 64 points in 34 games and his play just took off. I know some scouts said he's not always engaged, but after the change in coaching, I'd say they were incorrect. If anything, it was coaching that was holding him back. 

With regards to Bonk, I was taking a look at all time London Knights defensemen and his second season was on par with that of.....Evan Bouchard. Bonk is going to get tons of ice time in London. It won't surprise me when he's a 60/70 point defenseman next year that plays in all situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm good with both the picks. I'm disappointed that Danny Boy couldn't snag an extra pick or 2 more with such a deep class. Time will tell how deep. Is Michkov permitted to attend development camp? Anyone have an insight to this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I'm good with both the picks. I'm disappointed that Danny Boy couldn't snag an extra pick or 2 more with such a deep class. Time will tell how deep. Is Michkov permitted to attend development camp? Anyone have an insight to this?

I like both picks too.

I guess maybe Bonk's ceiling is maybe not as high but always hard judging kids.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I like both picks too.

I guess maybe Bonk's ceiling is maybe not as high but always hard judging kids.

There's speculation that Jonesy's relationship with Dale Hunter may have had some influence on this pick.

Bonk spent an extra year in the lower league, then when he got his chance in the O, he played really well, so did he have a growth or maturity spurt ? Did Hunter add some context to the weird missing year on Bonk's career?

Lot's of NHL players play their junior in London, so it's a "factory", he stays for another year and he'll most likely by pretty damn good when it's time to play against men.

Like I said last night, Big kid, good skater, NHL pedigree, right-handed. Seems like a safe late round 1st pick to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pilldoc said:

So here are the picks after Bonk ...... Anyone stick out that would be the cut above the other?

Bonk is fine.   I think I go Musty or Gulyayev there, but the latter fell farther than I was expecting.   Between Bonk and Gulyayev it's probably a toss up, so I'm fine with Bonk.

Overall, I'm happy with the first round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I had a chance to talk with a few of my friends who are scouts and they all said the same thing about Oliver Bonk. He's really, really good and he's just starting to understand how to utilize his talent. He's got the defensive side of the game down and they said that's the hardest part of the game. They mentioned that if you watch him play, he's very efficient. He's never out of position, he never misses assignments, he always makes the right play, he doesn't panic under pressure, and he's just starting to scratch the surface with regards to his offensive game.

They also said that the best pro comparison for him would be a bigger Jared Spurgeon. Unassuming, but incredibly effective. 

They also mentioned that there were more dynamic defensemen in the draft. They also said that those dynamic defensemen had big red flags to their game. They said if you look at Bonk, there's nothing in terms of red flags and that if you're building a blueline, those kinds of players are on your team for 15 years.

Awesome… thanks for the scouting report. Tell your buddies “Thank You”.

Sounds like a keeper for sure….

• Like 3