John Tortorella?

phlfly

The question is Tort a good coach for this rebuild ? 

He can say some **** about player just to passed him off. 

I know there is no good and bad coaching for the Flyers team as of today.  But we shall see

I've never liked Tortsie as a coach...arrogant loudmouth who throws his players under the bus.

But he helped get Fletcher fired and rid of Haysee/Deangelo so for that alone he's ok for now in my books. I don't see him being here when we're relevant...his shelf life just isn't that long. Unless of course he gets the proverbial Flyers you suck at your job so here's a promotion treatment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I've never liked Tortsie as a coach...arrogant loudmouth who throws his players under the bus.

But he helped get Fletcher fired and rid of Haysee/Deangelo so for that alone he's ok for now in my books. I don't see him being here when we're relevant...his shelf life just isn't that long. Unless of course he gets the proverbial Flyers you suck at your job so here's a promotion treatment.

ditto.

17 hours ago, phlfly said:

The question is Tort a good coach for this rebuild ? 

Flyers obviously think he is. And that's really all that matters.  Otherwise they would have already replaced him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My two cents: Our problem has been talent, not coaching. Keep Torts around for a few years to get a read on talent acquisition and development.  Changing the coach and system throws a monkey wrench into the mix. Let him serve out the contract and reevaluate at that point. 

:PostAward4:

This, right here 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Where is SG coaching?

Quebec Remparts but I also want to say he got promoter to GM or assistant GM fresh off their Memorial Cup win.

He work on his on the job training as we speak.

Who will be Flyers next coach first?

Brindy? Or Gagne?

I'm going with Simon.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Oopps

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My two cents: Our problem has been talent, not coaching. Keep Torts around for a few years to get a read on talent acquisition and development.  Changing the coach and system throws a monkey wrench into the mix. Let him serve out the contract and reevaluate at that point. 

Al Arbour was once asked what the secret to assembling a team, and he said "It's no secret. It's not complicated. Get good players." and I'm not about to disagree with him on that. The team has decided to move to a full rebuild, and it looks one hell of a lot like an Oilers rebuild to me, right down to placing former players as rookies in key management positions when they have no experience at all. Could work, but if it does, it will be mostly luck. It looks a lot like what Darcy Regier talked about: "I think if you miss the playoffs three years in a row and blow everything up, you’re more likely to miss the playoffs seven years in a row.

It doesn't take long before that goes from three years to five to seven.

The rookie GM makes a mistake or two or three, and there's some setbacks.

A key player or two in the rebuild gets injured, doesn't develop as hoped or wants a change in scenery.

So, you fire a coach or two in there, maybe even the GM. Even if you bring in a steady hand, it takes time to set the course after he shows up and puts new people and processes in place. The next thing you know, it's been 10 years, and you've run out of lazy or toxic players to blame, and the feedback loop is largely in place in the upper suites.

If somebody thinks the team should move on from Kevin Hayes, that's not weird, but they didn't need John Tortorella to come in and drive down his value to the extent that they paid another team to take him. They sure as hell didn't need John Tortorella to figure out that Anthony DeAngelo is a troublesome teammate. The Flyers don't need John Tortorella to bring in accountability, since I want to meet the coach who doesn't care about that.

I wouldn't want Torts anywhere near my rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

46 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The rookie GM makes a mistake or two or three,

as opposed to the VETERAN GM who makes a mistake, or two, or ALL of them. Instead of a rebuild of 3 or 7 years you get a decades plus

I'll take my chances with the new group, to include Torts. At least there is a chance

49 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

they didn't need John Tortorella to come in and drive down his value to the extent that they paid another team to take him. They sure as hell didn't need John Tortorella to figure out that Anthony DeAngelo is a troublesome teammate.

Right. And the move to sign those players had nothing to do with Torts and everything to do with the GM

52 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Al Arbour was once asked what the secret to assembling a team, and he said "It's no secret. It's not complicated. Get good players." and I'm not about to disagree with him on that. The team has decided to move to a full rebuild, and it looks one hell of a lot like an Oilers rebuild to me, right down to placing former players as rookies in key management positions when they have no experience at all. Could work, but if it does, it will be mostly luck. It looks a lot like what Darcy Regier talked about: "I think if you miss the playoffs three years in a row and blow everything up, you’re more likely to miss the playoffs seven years in a row.

It doesn't take long before that goes from three years to five to seven.

The rookie GM makes a mistake or two or three, and there's some setbacks.

A key player or two in the rebuild gets injured, doesn't develop as hoped or wants a change in scenery.

So, you fire a coach or two in there, maybe even the GM. Even if you bring in a steady hand, it takes time to set the course after he shows up and puts new people and processes in place. The next thing you know, it's been 10 years, and you've run out of lazy or toxic players to blame, and the feedback loop is largely in place in the upper suites.

If somebody thinks the team should move on from Kevin Hayes, that's not weird, but they didn't need John Tortorella to come in and drive down his value to the extent that they paid another team to take him. They sure as hell didn't need John Tortorella to figure out that Anthony DeAngelo is a troublesome teammate. The Flyers don't need John Tortorella to bring in accountability, since I want to meet the coach who doesn't care about that.

I wouldn't want Torts anywhere near my rebuild.

I agree with most of what you said, other than, as mentioned, Tortorella driving Hayes value down. I never saw him as having value to begin with...at least nowhere near what Fletcher thought he had. 

I also don't want him near my rebuild.

@CoachX At no time did I suggest that the Flyers should have kept Chuck Fletcher. It was a mistake to hire him, and I don't blame you for being happy that he's gone. I don't think that means that the answer to that mistake is a rookie who was the last guy's assistant, and whose boss' career track, from player to years on TV to upper management, is kind of the oddest that I've ever seen.

• Like 3

Just now, JR Ewing said:

@CoachX At no time did I suggest that the Flyers should have kept Chuck Fletcher. It was a mistake to hire him, and I don't blame you for being happy that he's gone. I don't think that means that the answer to that mistake is a rookie who was the last guy's assistant, and whose boss' career track, from player to years on TV to upper management, is kind of the oddest that I've ever seen.

I hate that it's. yet again, a bunch of ex-Flyers running the show. It's never worked, so lets try it yet again!

But I'm soooooo happy it isn't Fletcher that that's all that matters ....for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree with most of what you said, other than, as mentioned, Tortorella driving Hayes value down. I never saw him as having value to begin with...at least nowhere near what Fletcher thought he had. 

His value certainly wasn't sky high. Going into last year's All-Star break, I'd guess that it wasn't "we'll pay half his salary if you take him" kind of low.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I also don't want him near my rebuild.

Yeah, like I said, not wanting him around isn't a weird take on the player; he has his issues. The day he signed the contract, this is the year where I said that the Flyers would be looking for escape hatch, and here we are. He's always been inconsistent, but it's been my observation over the years, more than a few times that we hear a guy is lazy, we later find out that he had injury problems. Hayes has missed substantial time with adductor issues, which hurts your mobility/motor a lot.

I guess I've never been a big believer in the "locker room cancer" theory much more than I'm one in the "peerless leader" vision we get of players. The Flyers don't need him around for the rebuild, but the way that some people go on about him, you'd think he was the reincarnation of Dick Allen, who really was a locker room cancer.