Flyers Ink Alexis Gendron to ELC

Howie58

Greetings:

Well, the franchise's turn to the "Francophonic" continues with this signing...of a 7th rounder, no less:

https://sports.yahoo.com/flyers-sign-55-goal-prospect-225857151.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Heck, they must see something.  I guess there is no college or KHL in his future.  The Flypaper Effect continues...throw it up there and see what sticks.  

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Flypaper+image&fr=mcafee&type=E211US0G0&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FzfJsygd0aVc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg#id=-1&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FzfJsygd0aVc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&action=click

59 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Well, the franchise's turn to the "Francophonic" continues with this signing...of a 7th rounder, no less:

https://sports.yahoo.com/flyers-sign-55-goal-prospect-225857151.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Heck, they must see something.  I guess there is no college or KHL in his future.  The Flypaper Effect continues...throw it up there and see what sticks.  

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Flypaper+image&fr=mcafee&type=E211US0G0&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FzfJsygd0aVc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg#id=-1&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FzfJsygd0aVc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&action=click

Greetings Howie,

I think they see a guy who is a pure goal scorer, but small. Maybe a latish bloomer? Zetterberg was a 7th round pick, don't forget.

EDIT: one scouting report on him done in his draft year said he needed to improve his skating and his shot. Those are both things that can be done with work. Who knows if he has that worth ethic? I don't. But my assumption is always that when I guy his signed the people doing the signing try to get an answer to that question and it informs their decision. You would hope so at least. 

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Greetings Howie,

I think they see a guy who is a pure goal scorer, but small. Maybe a latish bloomer? Zetterberg was a 7th round pick, don't forget.

EDIT: one scouting report on him done in his draft year said he needed to improve his skating and his shot. Those are both things that can be done with work. Who knows if he has that worth ethic? I don't. But my assumption is always that when I guy his signed the people doing the signing try to get an answer to that question and it informs their decision. You would hope so at least. 

Not sure if he is headed back to juniors or AHL time.

Guess we'll see soon.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Greetings Howie,

Greetings Sir Pods:

This just seemed like a bolt from the blue.  They see something.  We give it a shot.  In a cap-strapped league, this might have big payoffs.  

On 7/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, Howie58 said:

the franchise's turn to the "Francophonic" continues with this signing...of a 7th rounder, no less:

Just had an interesting thought about this   I wonder if "Baby Beatle" GM Daniel Briere is bringing in these dart throws as a way of feeling out his scouts, signings each scout may be really high on and each of their top available recommendations are brought in, see who knows their stuff?   or is it all just a crap shoot? :thinking:

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 12:08 PM, Podein25 said:

I think they see a guy whose father is a Flyers scout.

Flyers inbreeding continues. Nothing else to see here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I think they see a guy whose father is a Flyers scout.

Flyers inbreeding continues. Nothing else to see here.

This is sooo true. That's the bad news.

The goods news is, Fletcher, Hayes and Deangelo are gone. So we still got that going for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

This is sooo true. That's the bad news.

The goods news is, Fletcher, Hayes and Deangelo are gone. So we still got that going for us.

The guy weighs 180 so he's not exactly a runt,he put up big numbers and he was a 7th round pick. So I'm just wondering was there a better 7th round guy not related to a Flyers scout?

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

The guy weighs 180 so he's not exactly a runt,he put up big numbers and he was a 7th round pick. So I'm just wondering was there a better 7th round guy not related to a Flyers scout?

I'm okay with the pick there. It's all a crap shoot there and the house has control. Arguably, they have "inside information."

It's the rush to the contract that is a bit concerning.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Just because he inked his entry level doesn't mean he can't go back to juniors.

He get his look at camp but due to a numbers crunch he could go back for one more year.

We'll see. Kid has bust on the scene as a 7th round pick all you could ever ask from a kid who was drafted there.

Kid can snipe Flyers need goal scorers. The cream will rise.

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Nothing wrong with 5'10 and 180. 

But it's still in line with keep it in the Flyers family. 

I hope he works out. 

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with stockpiling talent, regardless of who their parents are or where they work. As well, Gendron was ranked as high as 71st his draft year, so there's talent there. The fact that he was drafted so late has the potential to be a steal. He'll go back to Gatineau this year, probably score 50 to 60 goals and work on his upper body strength and solidifying his skating (which was also rated above average by various scouts). I'm looking forward to seeing what he does as a pro.

• Like 2

I think his Dad being a Flyer Scout actually helps in this situation. Would not be as inclined to like it in the early rounds. In terms of a formerly highly ranked kid that eventually goes in the 7th...it gives the team insider info on work ethic and mental make up that other teams would not have access to. Totally fine with this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I think his Dad being a Flyer Scout actually helps in this situation. Would not be as inclined to like it in the early rounds. In terms of a formerly highly ranked kid that eventually goes in the 7th...it gives the team insider info on work ethic and mental make up that other teams would not have access to. Totally fine with this. 

Yeah  I'm fine with the pick.  Although "dad" is questionable as insider information.  There are a lot of parents of paste eaters who fill out applications for MENSA for their kid (because he can't read it).

But I'm fine with the pick. What was unnecessary at this juncture was a contract. It's not a big deal either way, but I'm not sure I get the need. Or if that was "helped."

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah  I'm fine with the pick.  Although "dad" is questionable as insider information.  There are a lot of parents of paste eaters who fill out applications for MENSA for their kid (because he can't read it).

But I'm fine with the pick. What was unnecessary at this juncture was a contract. It's not a big deal either way, but I'm not sure I get the need. Or if that was "helped."

Maybe Briere and the scouts saw enough in Gendron that he warranted a contract and not risk having him become an unrestricted free agent and sign elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe Briere and the scouts saw enough in Gendron that he warranted a contract and not risk having him become an unrestricted free agent and sign elsewhere.

Quite possible.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I saw enough just glancing at his stats. These are the kind of 7th round risks they should be taking. Any warts this kid has,the stats say GO in the 7th!!