Game 15: Philadelphia Flyers at Los Angeles Kings; 11/11/23 @ 10:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The bookies aren't showing the O and B much love (+205) with a predicted loss of nearly 1.5 goals:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-los-angeles-odds-november-11-2023-2016644

On the stats front, LA scores one goal more per game, and gives up 0.75 fewer on average.  That's a big spread.

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-los-angeles-odds-november-11-2023-2016644

We lost to this team 5-0 a week ago.  But we played well last night and generated some good scoring chances on our inept PP.  On the other hand, I wonder what we have in the tank on 24-hour turnaround?  I am seeing Hart as questionable.  

P.S.  My e-hat is off to the vets on the board and elsewhere.  We owe them incalculable gratitude.  

Edited by Howie58

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Well, I guess Hart recovered from whatever. Taking Brink out---well, Poehling is bigger....still, seems strange stupid.

Fixed it.

He's played limited time the last two games and hasn't been terribly effective the last three, so maybe sit him to watch one and go back at it.

Edited by ruxpin

Of course the Flyers are always gonna Flyers. Lose the game they should win against a winless Sharks team then beat the Kings, who are one of the better teams in the Western Conference this year.

Good Cali trip. Played well and competed in a back to back games. 

Looking forward to seeing them in person Wednesday. Hope Hart is ready. 

On 11/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, Howie58 said:

Well, I guess Hart recovered from whatever. Taking Brink out---well, Poehling is bigger....still, seems strange.

Flyers development 101. Add this to Tortorella's press conference after the game about not wanting to get into a run and gun game with Anaheim and you just have to shake your head. If you're that afraid of the Ducks and if you think your players can't keep up, then maybe you need to move on. Yeah, I'm really starting to sour on the Tortorella experience. It also doesn't help that he says he doesn't understand offensive hockey and the guy on the staff who supposedly understands offensive hockey runs the third worst power play in the league. 

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Flyers development 101. Add this to Tortorella's press conference after the game about not wanting to get into a run and gun game with Anaheim and you just have to shake your head. If you're that afraid of the Ducks and if you think your players can't keep up, then maybe you need to move on. Yeah, I'm really starting to sour on the Tortorella experience. It also doesn't help that he says he doesn't understand offensive hockey and the guy on the staff who supposedly understands offensive hockey runs the third worst power play in the league. 

This will be an interesting couple of years.  Our offense needs development.  At time we can move well, and there are times we are offensively challenged.  It isn't particularly watchable.  

I thought this was a pretty good win.

The Flyers played a nice road game.

Over the summer I heard a great analogy for player development being like sawing a log, it's not linear. Some pulls are longer some pushes are better, think I see this nightly with some of these younger players. This road trip I thought they competed hard and played well. disappointing they didn't beat a bad San Jose team. I'll happily take 4 of 6 available points on that trip.

I do like the way the Kings play, they turn from defense to offense about as well as any team I've seen recently. They have great depth too, they throw four lines at you, they get their sticks on pucks, turn nothing plays into scoring chances. They're definitely a team on the rise.

Edited by mojo1917
Added the bit about liking the Kings game.
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Sad news for former Flyer and King.

Flyers alum goalie Roman Cechmanek -- a two-time Bobby Clarke Trophy winner, a Vezina finalist and a Jennings Trophy co-winner with @robertesche -- has passed away at age 52.

Sounds like it may have been a heart attack. 

RIP Bipolar Goaler.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sounds like it may have been a heart attack. 

RIP Bipolar Goaler.

Greetings:

That's a great summary.  He was loved and hated.  His objective performance was quite remarkable, at least in the regular season. I recall that his regular season stretch was actually better than Martin Brodeur's.  Playoff performance was different, and I also recall he was something of a locker room problem.

Passing away at 52--tough.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

That's a great summary.  He was loved and hated.  His objective performance was quite remarkable, at least in the regular season. I recall that his regular season stretch was actually better than Martin Brodeur's.  Playoff performance was different, and I also recall he was something of a locker room problem.

Passing away at 52--tough.  

I remember his face saves like they were yesterday. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I was as skeptical as anyone about Tortorella. I started counting games until his first drama on the bench or meltdown with the press. I figured he’d make it all about himself and his abrasive style, the way he’s done before. But I’m convinced he’s changed for the (much) better.

Far from straight-jacketing the offense he’s made a point to demand creativity from the skill guys (such as the Flyers have). Same with the D he wants them up in the play, transitioning quickly. Currently the Flyers sit at #18 in the league in GF/GP at 3.20. Last year they finished 29th at 2.68. 

Frankly other than the PP I have no problems with the Flyers’ offense this year. Seems to me they’re doing better than expected with what they have. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I was as skeptical as anyone about Tortorella. I started counting games until his first drama on the bench or meltdown with the press. I figured he’d make it all about himself and his abrasive style, the way he’s done before. But I’m convinced he’s changed for the (much) better.

Far from straight-jacketing the offense he’s made a point to demand creativity from the skill guys (such as the Flyers have). Same with the D he wants them up in the play, transitioning quickly. Currently the Flyers sit at #18 in the league in GF/GP at 3.20. Last year they finished 29th at 2.68. 

Frankly other than the PP I have no problems with the Flyers’ offense this year. Seems to me they’re doing better than expected with what they have. 

I'll leave this here...

• Good Post 1

59 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Do we want a coach who thinks Deslauriers is more important than Frost to this teams future? 😬

Absolutely. Of course not in the long run but to start the season? Absolutely. A blind man could see Frost was nowhere and needed something to get his game going. I bet it was an attitude adjustment. Frost's "Mr. Invisible" game didn't deserve more ice time so Tortorella benched him. Evidently it was exactly what he needed - a wake up call. I just hope it "takes."

17 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frost's "Mr. Invisible" game didn't deserve more ice time

But Deslauriers, he of 2 assists in 15 games, deserves it?

That's what I can't stand about Fonzie...he preaches accountability... unless you're a veteran. Then it doesn't matter. Which is completely ridiculous.

• Like 1

So far this season is the same old same old, a band aid line up ensuring more years of mediocre. Finishing 10 or 12 in the conference and drafting mid round is not going to get it done. I hope Danny B has a plan, the current situation doesn't make the future rosy. Torts is a goof, thats not news to anyone .

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But Deslauriers, he of 2 assists in 15 games, deserves it?

That's what I can't stand about Fonzie...he preaches accountability... unless you're a veteran. Then it doesn't matter. Which is completely ridiculous.

Honestly, Deslauriers isn't on the ice for points. Frost is.

Now, you want to talk about Forester's three assists in 14 games in an offensive role, or Noah Cates's four points and 43% at the dot, have at it.

:hocky: