Flyers Half-Way Assessment: Your Take?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

For the right price I am ok extending Tippett

Just don't want to over pay for a one dementional player

But my gut tells me it could be a deal that comes back and haunts them

Guess we'll see how this all plays out

:PopcornSmiley2:

Indeed we will.

Not sure I see Tippett as "one dimensional" and more of a JVR type player with the edge we always wished JVR had.

Kid has scored 27 in this league already.

27 goals. Without much PP1 time. On pace for 32 this season.

If that's his dimension, I'm OK with it.

I have no problem with him getting Cam Atkinson's money, for example.

Then we're talking term and clauses...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I have no problem with him getting Cam Atkinson's money, for example

Yeah but can't see that happening from what I have been hearing more like closer to 7mill per...

...so we'll see what Danny does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd rather Frost played wing. I still don't think he's an NHL center. Certainly not a 2C.  If we had an actual 2C, I'd think about 3C, but i don't see a lot of offense coming from him at center.

On a weaker team like the Flyers, Frost actually is a second line center. He has 18 points in 34 games and is a  plus 8. If you factor points per games played, he's our fourth leading scorer.  All the guys ahead of him have been in the league longer.  People were writing off Farabee in previous years now he's really stepped up. I wouldn't give up on Frost yet, we have no centers in our system and Coots is over thirty with a bad back.  Even if we draft a center tomorrow, it's 3-4 years before he is any kind of factor. For the next 2-3 years we have no other options bit Frost unless we trade for a good young center and other than Hart or TK, we have nothing to offer to get us this center.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I wouldn't give up on Frost yet,

yeah and he's signed thru next season so no rush to "give up" on him. But he's hardly a rookie anymore so expecting him to produce is not unreasonable. In a week or two he'll hit 200 NHL games. So I agree don't dump him for peanuts, a 3R or something stupid like that, but if he's still a mid-40pt guy next year... I have to think that will be the time to move on from Frost.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

Tippett is RFA w arbitration rights.

I'm not opposed to arbitration, but that could also affect the deal.

Give me $7M/3-4 years with a 10-team NtC and I think I can live with that.

Need to avoid 7-8 year NMC mistakes.

I can live with 3x6 tops any more and I'm trying to move him at the draft.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah and he's signed thru next season so no rush to "give up" on him. But he's hardly a rookie anymore so expecting him to produce is not unreasonable. In a week or two he'll hit 200 NHL games. So I agree don't dump him for peanuts, a 3R or something stupid like that, but if he's still a mid-40pt guy next year... I have to think that will be the time to move on from Frost.

I wonder if the Leafs would swap him for Nick Robertson it would give them a LW.

Sure I know it would pit them thin at Center.

Or better yet call Ottawa Senators and revist this Shane Pinto trade.

Pinto for Frost!!!

He is eligible for a return when the Flyers play the Sens coming up...

...just saying.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can live with 3x6 tops any more and I'm trying to move him at the draft.

Maybe they can get a rugged young defenceman in need of a change of scenery for him.

:hocky:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

We have some time with Frost, he has to make a big jump next year just like Farabee did this year. Frost had another two point game today.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Frost had another two point game today.

and looked excellent defensively too. If Frost starts scoring he goes from expendable to keeper imho. I just don't know if he can produce the way a top 6 guy is expected to. He's got time but the clock is surely ticking.

Farabee missing the net on that early 2-on-1 did Frost no favors. Just a brutal miss on a perfect feed by Frost at the last second, a real beauty of a pass. But w/out the finish it doesn't make the highlight reel.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

On a weaker team like the Flyers, Frost actually is a second line center. He has 18 points in 34 games and is a  plus 8. If you factor points per games played, he's our fourth leading scorer.  All the guys ahead of him have been in the league longer.  People were writing off Farabee in previous years now he's really stepped up. I wouldn't give up on Frost yet, we have no centers in our system and Coots is over thirty with a bad back.  Even if we draft a center tomorrow, it's 3-4 years before he is any kind of factor. For the next 2-3 years we have no other options bit Frost unless we trade for a good young center and other than Hart or TK, we have nothing to offer to get us this center.

Oh, I'm not arguing to get rid of Frost. I've been a Frost cheerleader. He does seem to be learning the defensive side so moving him to wing could potentially screw some of that up (not trying to overstate that,  but responsibilities in the defensive end are different). I'd keep him at C the rest of the season and see how he progresses. If not, I try him at wing before doing something more drastic.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have some time with Frost, he has to make a big jump next year just like Farabee did this year. Frost had another two point game today.

Farabee made a big jump before and was destroyed by a previous coach. It's nice to see him back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, radoran said:

Need to avoid 7-8 year NMC mistakes.

Yes! The true “New Era of Orange” shouldn’t have any contract extension longer than 4 years.

• Good Post 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:41 PM, flyer4ever said:

Just don't think a right side with Brink, Koneckny and Atkinson is hard enough to play against come playoff time.

screen-shot-2024-01-17-at-12.15.09-pm.png?w=863&h=0&crop=1

Seems this just won't die...

screen-shot-2024-01-17-at-11.25.08-am.png?w=1024

Would this get r done???

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would this get r done???

The real question is how long Pat Verbeek would be waiting for Briere to finish telling him the rest of the offer. You're not going to get a 22-year old who's already established himself as a scorer for a league-average player and a draft pick somewhere in the #20 range.

Frost's WAR card:

image.png

Zegras' WAR card:

image.png

Even with his complete indifference to playing defense, Zegras is already much better player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The real question is how long Pat Verbeek would be waiting for Briere to finish telling him the rest of the offer.

Yes.

I can see it being hammered out at the draft.

It's just a matter of time.

17 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

complete indifference to playing defense,

The absolute last thing they need with Torts behind the bench.

What they don't need is a $5.75M healthy scratch.

• Like 4
  • Uggh... 1

Maybe Verbeek is the next chucktard. If all his studs develop he will be in Leaf style cap hell in 5 years. Trading middle 6 guys might appeal to him. He is going to get another jewel is this draft as well. If he is answering his phone I would ask about Mctavish too. Nobody ever got a date with a pretty girl without asking.

• Like 1

The handful of times I’ve seen Zegras play (admittedly a small sample) it seems to me he and Tortorella are like oil and water. We’d all love what Zegras brings (to half the ice) but Tortorella’s one of a handful of NHL coaches who simply will not tolerate a 100’ player. Right or wrong Tortorella’s not likely to change his demands anytime soon.

So … what’s the word on Trevor Zegras? He’ll turn 23 in March; that’s pretty young to be considered a finished product in the NHL. Is he coachable? Is he ready willing and able to become a responsible 2-way center?

He’s an exciting player with the puck on his stick. He could be a huge upgrade at center, exactly where the Flyers need a huge upgrade. But before the Flyers go after Zegras I hope they’re satisfied with his answers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would this get r done???

I guess this is fun for some, but can we keep it real?

Zegras is not in play, and if he is being moved at all it's not for that package. And extremely unlikely it's to the Flyers. I certainly don't want them moving those kind of pieces for him, and it doesn't get it done anyway.

Entire threads on Zegras coming to the Flyers and it's entirely EA Sports NHL '95.  It's just silliness.

And also, I'm not giving up that package for him.

I wonder if the Oilers would take Laughton and our first for Draisaitl...

Edited by ruxpin

6 hours ago, radoran said:

The absolute last thing they need with Torts behind the bench.

What they don't need is a $5.75M healthy scratch.

Completely true.

I swear people have seen his 6 highlight reel plays and want to mortgage things for him. Someone probably will, but it won't be the Flyers because someone will mortgage even more and regret it.

I actually doubt he's moved anywhere anytime soon. It's just silly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wonder if the Oilers would take Laughton and our first for Draisaitl...

This is fair. Laughton can play any position in the offense. You can never have enough of those guys

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1

Okay - well good. I've seen enough of Zegras to know it would be a difficult (at best) fit with Tortorella coaching the Flyers. But if this whole thing is just fantasy nonsense thanks for cluing me in. I'm done with it.

• Like 1