Game 50: Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/27/24 @ 12:30 PM, NBCSP

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What did you think about the fact that nobody talked about Hart? No discussion at the desk, no questions for the HC. Like it never happened.

I didn't expect they'd pry into a sensitive subject but it's obviously a huge story for the Flyers this week. But nothing. Not a word, like they were pretending it hadn't happened. To me that was weird in the extreme.

The Flyers' game coverage is ultimately bought and paid for by the same people who own the team.

The team doesn't want to talk about it.

It ALMOST made it onto sports radio, but THEY didn't want to talk about it and it wasn't something people were going to call in about.

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

do you think the hart news derailed this team?

The team lost one of their foundational pieces in potential career-ending disgrace and got nothing for it.

It's not like a trade that disrupted a tight locker room but brought something back.

It's almost more akin to a death.

There's no timeline for getting over this.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

40 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

the team was playing over their heads.

I kind of know what you're saying but to me beating Dallas or Winnipeg, Vegas or Vancouver on any given night, with a losing record before and after, that would be "playing over their heads." Top 10 by Win % since early November is a lot of games to be "playing over their heads."

Edited by GratefulFlyers

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Flyers' game coverage is ultimately bought and paid for by the same people who own the team.

The team doesn't want to talk about it.

duh. of course. makes perfect sense now thank you.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I kind of know what you're saying but to me beating Dallas or Winnipeg, Vegas or Vancouver on any given night, with a losing record before and after, that would be "playing over their heads." Top 10 by Win % since early November is a lot of games to be "playing over their heads."

"Over their heads" has perjorative connotations. It's more that they were playing with high intensity and drive and it's just hard to keep that up for 82 games.

There's a reason the President's trophy winner rarely wins the Cup.

You'll note all of those teams are in the West.

It's not at all uncommon for top teams to not play their best games in the two they play against the other Conference. The games mean two points but they're not losing two points in the division. The teams aren't as familiar with each other - a team playing hard can take the edge.

but even before the Hart news we've seen other teams start to ramp up their intensity and the Flyers' comparative lack of competitive talent start to be shown.

It's reflective of where they are in their rebuild.

It's also a tragedy that their efforts could fall apart entirely this season because of the current situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

but even before the Hart news we've seen other teams start to ramp up their intensity and the Flyers' comparative lack of competitive talent start to be shown.

I think it’s also true other teams started to get the Flyers number as the season progressed. Coaches can probably be forgiven for taking them a little lightly at first. Eventually they were forced to respect their team speed and started aggressively bottling up the Flyers’ transition game. The Wings the other night did it almost perfectly. The Bolts too.

The Flyers have plenty of competitive spirit but I agree not enough competitive talent to answer teams that can stymie what the Flyers rely on.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

All's quiet on Hart Front. I suspect the League and Comcast have imposed a serious gag order to avoid any perceived interference with legal proceedings. 

We've lost to good teams. And we may have been due for a rough patch. But the drop off in intensity and lousy penalties tell me the last week may be contributing. 

They played well the first five or ten minutes. Then Pasta scores and they fold. Not good. 

• Good Post 1

Pastarnak...that guy kills the Flyers.

The first goal was a true goal scorer's goal. Great dangle,  using the d as a screen...a little luck off the cage. Just brilliant.

Plus he competes for 175 feet, good back-checker and good in the neutral zone.

Great player.

The break is coming at good time. 11-7  for a month wore a lot of guys down. Especially playing at that intensity. After goal #1 and the top line getting dominated by Boston for #2  it looked like guys started their break early.

I'm sure the Flyers broadcasters  aren't going to speculate on Carter Hart's situation because that's irresponsible. I think the discipline of the message has been good with the Briere,Jones,Hilftey,Tortorella group. Torts especially doesn't want pity or excuses. 

I'm enjoying this group, I think we see some changes coming in the near term though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The first goal was a true goal scorer's goal. Great dangle,  using the d as a screen...a little luck off the cage. Just brilliant.

Plus he competes for 175 feet, good back-checker and good in the neutral zone.

Great player.

The break is coming at good time. 11-7  for a month wore a lot of guys down. Especially playing at that intensity. After goal #1 and the top line getting dominated by Boston for #2  it looked like guys started their break early.

I'm sure the Flyers broadcasters  aren't going to speculate on Carter Hart's situation because that's irresponsible. I think the discipline of the message has been good with the Briere,Jones,Hilftey,Tortorella group. Torts especially doesn't want pity or excuses. 

I'm enjoying this group, I think we see some changes coming in the near term though.

Hey, Foerster scored a nice one! 

I think this should steer them back to rebuild IF making the playoffs was ever guiding them away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Lone bright spot. Showing a glimpse of how he can play as a grown power forward. 

For having "skating issues" that kid is tough on the puck, has a strong stick and is great in tight spaces. I think he'll be a fun one to watch develop. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think this should steer them back to rebuild IF making the playoffs was ever guiding them away. 

Briere and Torts have been pretty clear that regardless of what happens this year they are staying the course.

I think Tippett is the kind of Konecny like player (attitudinally) that they like for "Flyers hockey" and signing Poehling to two years instead of 4 or 6 as Fletch was wont to do is a good indication.

The team seems pretty well set for a rebuild over the next few years and while they could be ahead of schedule, they realize the schedule can also be affected by,  for example, unforseen circumstances?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Briere and Torts have been pretty clear that regardless of what happens this year they are staying the course.

I think Tippett is the kind of Konecny like player (attitudinally) that they like for "Flyers hockey" and signing Poehling to two years instead of 4 or 6 as Fletch was wont to do is a good indication.

The team seems pretty well set for a rebuild over the next few years and while they could be ahead of schedule, they realize the schedule can also be affected by,  for example, unforseen circumstances?

Lets hope so, on the course. But them coming back down to earth won't hurt. 

Tippett is definitely coming around to the player he should be. I don't think he has the "smarts" to ever be a superstar, but he sure has size, speed and shot, and he's not afraid to use it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Tippett is definitely coming around to the player he should be. I don't think he has the "smarts" to ever be a superstar, but he sure has size, speed and shot, and he's not afraid to use it. 

He doesn't need to be a superstar. I'll take potting 25+ with an edge for $6M and sleep easy at night.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Lets hope so, on the course. But them coming back down to earth won't hurt. 

I’ve heard it twice now but don’t remember who said it…Tippett is the fastest skater in the NHL.  Not sure how that is quantified, but I’ll take it.

• Like 1

I read somewhere they clocked it recently - I forget what game - in OT when Tippett skated in alone. I can't remember if he missed or scored the GWer. Anyway he eclipsed B. Point's record by a few tenths. Apparently somebody measures this stuff all the time in NHL games.

• Like 1

@GratefulFlyers

For fun, I went to NHL Edge and I looked at the top 10 in each of: fastest max speed, most speed bursts 22+ mph, and speed burst 20-22 mph. Placing 1st in a category gives you 10 points, 2nd gives you nine, 3rd gives you eight and so on. Some of these guys play a lot more than other, so I took their ice time and expressed it in the number of speed points gained per 60 minutes of play. Here is every player with 1+ SpeedPts/60 this year, which gives a general look at the fastest skaters in the NHL:

1. Connor McDavid, 1.56

2. Brayden Point, 1.53

3. Nathan MacKinnon, 1.49

4. Owen Tippett, 1.23

5. Roope Hintz, 1.05

6. Ryan McLeod, 1.04

Of course, this doesn't tell us which players are more agile than others, who can stickhandle at speed, who has the quickest first steps, have better lateral movement, who skates better/faster backwards, edgework, etc, etc, etc.

Either way, Owen Tippett is very fast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

@GratefulFlyers

For fun, I went to NHL Edge and I looked at the top 10 in each of: fastest max speed, most speed bursts 22+ mph, and speed burst 20-22 mph. Placing 1st in a category gives you 10 points, 2nd gives you nine, 3rd gives you eight and so on. Some of these guys play a lot more than other, so I took their ice time and expressed it in the number of speed points gained per 60 minutes of play. Here is every player with 1+ SpeedPts/60 this year, which gives a general look at the fastest skaters in the NHL:

1. Connor McDavid, 1.56

2. Brayden Point, 1.53

3. Nathan MacKinnon, 1.49

4. Owen Tippett, 1.23

5. Roope Hintz, 1.05

6. Ryan McLeod, 1.04

Of course, this doesn't tell us which players are more agile than others, who can stickhandle at speed, who has the quickest first steps, have better lateral movement, who skates better/faster backwards, edgework, etc, etc, etc.

Either way, Owen Tippett is very fast.

The answer to that is....McDavid!

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If it's any consolation, he kills EVERYBODY, not just the Flyers. He didn't score 113 points last year by accident.  Pasta is one of the best natural scorers in the league. It's almost impossible to contain him. His ability to find open space is unparalleled. And he dishes out as effectively as he shoots.  He is as a complete of a player as I've ever seen. 

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The answer to that is....McDavid!

Yeah. It's his ability to process the game at that speed that really separates him from the pack. Hockey Psychology put it pretty well:

One of the goals in that clip, he was clocked at 40.4 km/hr, or 25.13 mph. The last three years leaders from NHL Edge top speed:

2024 - Owen Tippett, 24.20

2023 - Ryan Poehling, 24.32

2022 - Denis Gurianov, 24.60

In the time that NHL Edge has been tracking, Gurianov is the only player in the league to come to within 0.5 mph to McDavid. Paul Maurice suggested that McDavid is likely the fastest player in history, and if somebody was ever quicker, surely didn't have the hands or brain to keep up with his feet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah. It's his ability to process the game at that speed that really separates him from the pack. Hockey Psychology put it pretty well:

One of the goals in that clip, he was clocked at 40.4 km/hr, or 25.13 mph. The last three years leaders from NHL Edge top speed:

2024 - Owen Tippett, 24.20

2023 - Ryan Poehling, 24.32

2022 - Denis Gurianov, 24.60

In the time that NHL Edge has been tracking, Gurianov is the only player in the league to come to within 0.5 mph to McDavid. Paul Maurice suggested that McDavid is likely the fastest player in history, and if somebody was ever quicker, surely didn't have the hands or brain to keep up with his feet.

He really is amazing. And in the discussion for best ever.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:07 PM, radoran said:

It's not like a trade that disrupted a tight locker room but brought something back.

It's almost more akin to a death.

There's no timeline for getting over this.

tl;dr version: Hart has to go ASAP. He will go, one way or another. Innocent, guilty or in between doesn’t matter. I wish it did. Hart‘s NHL career is over. 

I wanted to let this sink in, see if it still strikes me the same way … unfortunately it does. The Flyers will (begin to) get over it once they realize Hart isn’t coming back, ever.

Regardless how it turns out Hart is finished in Philly, in the NHL too. Even if he’s exonerated criminally (and morally too, though that ship has probably sailed), the Flyers can’t be associated with him anymore. For every PR reason in the book, before this is settled the Flyers will part company with Carter Hart. He’s an RFA after this season, they won’t negotiate a new contract. If Hart is still on the roster, that is. 

No blame to the Flyers for cutting ties with Hart. For the team’s sake the sooner the better. Hart’s situation is poison; it’s antithetical to what the Flyers are trying to accomplish. He can’t be anywhere near the team anymore. 

I don’t envy Briere/Jones. They’ll be accused of betraying a highly-valued, well-liked teammate just when he needs his friends the most. 

Am I wrong? I want to be. Does anyone envision a scenario where #97 is between the pipes for the Flyers again? 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Hart has to go ASAP. He will go, one way or another. Innocent, guilty or in between doesn’t matter. I wish it did. Hart‘s NHL career is over.

He is gone. I think the Flyers are moving forward with the idea they will need to replace him.

If they don't? Bonus.

I'd say the only path is complete exoneration, which seems increasingly unlikely.

That said, Billy Tibbets played for three NHL teams - including the Flyers...

• Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

He is gone. I think the Flyers are moving forward with the idea they will need to replace him.

If they don't? Bonus.

I'd say the only path is complete exoneration, which seems increasingly unlikely.

That said, Billy Tibbets played for three NHL teams - including the Flyers...

And if I remember correctly, he wasn't allowed to enter Canada with the team.