Game 50: Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/27/24 @ 12:30 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The Flyers are underdogs (+150) against a Bruins squad that swept all three games last year:

https://oddspedia.com/us/ice-hockey/boston-bruins-philadelphia-flyers-260108

The big statistical difference is the PP, where they are much more effective:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/bos-vs-phi/2024/01/27/2023020759

Which Flyers compete level shows up?  Do we get a Petersen start?  Who sits?

Edited by Howie58

The current losing streak will hit how many games?

It could easily become another 10 gamer if these guys aren't careful.

The schedule doesn't get any easier.

Need to start the same time the Bruins do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They sure do, but I think the whole "playoff hockey" vibe they've been running is catching up with them, and other teams are starting to ramp up.

Flyers have been all "hard work and determination" all season and it's ridiculously hard to keep that sort of grind up for 82 games.

The Bruins are starting to ramp that up.

"Inferior" teams can "Miracle on Ice" but to win consistently is another matter entirely. It's a situation where a team can be playing tight defense and have everything locked down and then Nathan MacKinnon jumps out unexpectedly. Or Kucherov.

This is why Briere is saying "long-term" and "stay the course" and "we're not spending assets on a playoff run."

The Flyers are third in the Metro - and every other team in the division has games in hand.

They very well might make the playoffs. Whether that's the best long term thing remains to be seen.

I do know that losing 4-3 in the first round to the eventual Cup champions will not be a "good sign".

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

On the positive side, they moved up to the 20th pick with the 4 losses

They won't be picking top 5 even if everyone on the team now, dies tomorrow.

Is it really a positive?

Rooting for a team to lose- So an 18-year-old can save them?

Have fun with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

They sure do, but I think the whole "playoff hockey" vibe they've been running is catching up with them, and other teams are starting to ramp up.

Flyers have been all "hard work and determination" all season and it's ridiculously hard to keep that sort of grind up for 82 games.

I've had this lingering feeling that at some point this season, playing the Torts style would catch up with this group.

I still like this team more than I have any of the last 6 or 7 versions. We'd probably have to go back to the Jagr, Giroux, Timonen group to find a team I liked as much. 

The boys didn't fall off as quickly as I was expecting, so while I'm not surprised by reality setting in. I'm still bummed out by it.

The Dallas game may have been as good as this group can play and when that happens they can beat anyone. But having all 18 guys going at once only happens once in a while. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

But having all 18 guys going at once only happens once in a while. 

I mean, I think that's true of practically any NHL team - if the whole team is working they can beat any other team.

It's keeping all of that working together on a consistent basis that is the challenge - and that's where overall talent levels start to make the difference.

The cream rising to the top as it were.

It's nice they're where they are, but it's not surprising if they drop down to 9/10 in the Conference when all is said and done.

I do think a difference is going in with a mentality of needing to work for it and that nothing is "definite" helps.

On that level, I kinda think the Pens are encountering that very phenomenon - getting Karlsson they were "definitely a playoff team".

And they're not. Yet.

Agreed on this team being more fun than the past 7-8 years. I've actually been to games and they're turning up on my television occasionally.

• Like 1

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 50: Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/27/24 @ 12:30 PM, NBCSP
21 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

As long as the work ethic remains strong, gathering points is less important than gathering assets.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:32 PM, Brewin Flames said:

Go Bruins...that is all.

First game this season I'm thinking the Flyers may get scorched and lose ugly. Losing 4 in a row has taken its toll on me I guess.

They've got a lot to play for in the Pride Dept...Let's see if that department is open today.

Go Flyers!!

edit: yikes. in 20 minutes the Flyers allow 4 goals and score none. Hey I like being right as much as the next guy ... but not this right.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

I feel like this downward spiral with shatter Ersson's confidence maybe they should not play him every damn game right now

This is the team i thought they would be i'm done for today will check in later tonight...

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is the team i thought they would be

you mean before the season? yeah me too - although not this bad...  the Bs are cooking but the Flyers are lost, like deer-in-the-headlights lost. Even the Avs didn't do that to them.

I hope Tortorella doesn't keep Ersson in after a period like that.

edit: good it's Petersen

40 minutes to go can they make a game out of it?

edit again: o good lord JVfkngR - hasn't scored in 10 games.

38 mins to go...can they avoid getting shut out twice in a row?

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

JVR....third point. Petersen overplayed to boot. 

yeah and first goal in 10 games I think they said...

I was afraid it might be ugly today. If a team ever needed a break ... but will it help? It seems clear this losing streak started between the ears.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah and first goal in 10 games I think they said...

I was afraid it might be ugly today. If a team ever needed a break ... but will it help? It seems clear this losing streak started between the ears.

do you think the hart news derailed this team?

31 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

I do. I can't imagine what else has swallowed up the team's discipline, energy, structure etc. - even their goaltending - overnight and leave them playing like a shell of their former selves. 

Hart has been the Flyers rock in net for 5 years with mostly crap rosters playing in front of him. This season is totally different. Call it "over their heads" call it a Tortorella effect whatever but up until a week ago the Flyers were a very tough team to beat. Then suddenly Hart is gone (apparently without a word) and they go off the rails. I have no doubt it's the main reason behind the Flyer's collapse.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

I think the trifecta of that, the team coming back to earth, and the injury to red hot Tippett all factored. 

The roster was never as good as their record indicated.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

@Howie58 and for anyone who saw today's post-game.

What did you think about the fact that nobody talked about Hart? No discussion at the desk, no questions for the HC. Like it never happened.

I didn't expect they'd pry into a sensitive subject but it's obviously a huge story for the Flyers this week. But nothing. Not a word, like they were pretending it hadn't happened. To me that was weird in the extreme.

...especially because  - no surprise - the situation has clearly affected the team. To not even mention the man's name? Just...weird.

Edited by GratefulFlyers