Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Farabee can play both wings but he is a LW.

Yeah, I mean he's "functional" on the RW but his effectiveness there is greatly diminished vs. his play on the left wing.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sorry TZ fans but anybody who gets beat (lets himself get beat) by Ristolainen on a shorthanded breakaway… the Flyers are better off without…

That's a complete lack of dedication to playing defense right there; he just completely stopped moving his feet and was gliding from the blueline. Risto moves well for a big man, but Zegras should have been able to catch him in his sleep.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

You could read Trevor’s mind as he was skating back…”Risto isn’t gonna score.  He has cement hands so I’ll take it easy.  D’0h!!”

Some guys just don't care as much about skating hard towards their net as they do away from it.,

P4ovjdi.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Some guys just don't care as much about skating hard towards their net as they do away from it.,

P4ovjdi.gif

LMAO! Exactly what popped into my head as I watched Zegras not give a crap about backchecking.

And the only time Ovechkin actually did care, he won a cup.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Zegras is the most overrated player right now. Scoring michigans doesn't make you win Stanley Cups. If some teams have the objective to go for a deep run, he's the last player to go after.

@JR Ewing I remember that goal. Wasn't the one where Ovie let himself slide on the whole rink length during the season where he had the League's worst +/- at something like -38 ?

30 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

P4ovjdi.gif

I'm on my phone and the video was below my screen. I would have won money betting it was a video of #8.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Math said:

Zegras is the most overrated player right now. Scoring michigans doesn't make you win Stanley Cups. If some teams have the objective to go for a deep run, he's the last player to go after.

@JR Ewing I remember that goal. Wasn't the one where Ovie let himself slide on the whole rink length during the season where he had the League's worst +/- at something like -38 ?

I don't remember the exact scenario, but the GA is etched into my memory.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sorry TZ fans but anybody who gets beat (lets himself get beat) by Ristolainen on a shorthanded breakaway… the Flyers are better off without…

Bro #4 was Cam Fowler I think your eye glass prescription is out of date.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fowler takes Laughton...Zegras is with Risto until they hit the blueline, then he just quits. And lets Ristolainen score his only goal of the season. 

Zegras is great at Michigans and razzle dazzle. He's not great at hockey.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Except we're not talking about #4.  We're talking about the one too busy reading his press clippings to stay with his man and stopped skating.   TZ is simply a terrible/selfish hockey player. Good not great in about 60 feet of it and no idea the rest exists and wouldn't be bothered to be curious to find out.  In 2 weeks, Philly would eat him alive if torts didn't bench him yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I can't even begin to imagine Briere trading for Zegras with Tortorella as his coach.

Certainly not to give up what Anaheim will want.

And you're not "teaching" an already selfish player making $5.75M anything...

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say Zegras would be a great fit and that he could be taught to play passable defense.

We're forgetting that this is a guy who's playing in a black hole called Anaheim. All the habits and play that he has acquired has been coached to him. Those is yet ANOTHER player that Dallas Eakins couldn't develop, yet Zegras has two 60 point seasons under his belt.

We forget that these guys play the way that they've been coached. I think Zegras going to an environment where there's a definite structure in place would do him a world of good. Tortorella could definitely identify what needs to be fixed and could get it done. This is a coach who has turned Rasmus Ristolainen into a somewhat decent defenseman. And don't forget that Zegras has two friends here, so we know that his peers would be all over him if he dogs it. 

• Good Post 3

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say Zegras would be a great fit and that he could be taught to play passable defense.

We're forgetting that this is a guy who's playing in a black hole called Anaheim. All the habits and play that he has acquired has been coached to him. Those is yet ANOTHER player that Dallas Eakins couldn't develop, yet Zegras has two 60 point seasons under his belt.

We forget that these guys play the way that they've been coached. I think Zegras going to an environment where there's a definite structure in place would do him a world of good. Tortorella could definitely identify what needs to be fixed and could get it done. This is a coach who has turned Rasmus Ristolainen into a somewhat decent defenseman. And don't forget that Zegras has two friends here, so we know that his peers would be all over him if he dogs it. 

I agree. The biggest lack in Flyerland is elite skill. TZ brings that. Lots of spoiled young men come to the NHL needing to grow up. There is still time for this guy to get it.

• Like 2

If we didn't already have Michkov in the pipeline, I'd be more open to trying to acquire Zegras. But we do. 

And I get that Michkov hasn't come over yet....but if he never does, we have bigger problems than trying to have the monopoly on Michigan goal scorers.

34 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We're forgetting that this is a guy who's playing in a black hole called Anaheim.

Who's been in the same black hole as the Flyers...

Zegras is the next Pierre Luc Dubious to force his way into becoming some other team's headache.

Let it not be Philadelphia's.

They need elite talent. There is better talent to get.

Edited by radoran
I liked the Dubious spell check correction so I left it

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And I get that Michkov hasn't come over yet....but IF he never does, we have bigger problems than trying to have the monopoly on Michigan goal scorers

thats a big "IF"......bird in the hand and all

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

thats a big "IF"......bird in the hand and all

I get that, it's why I said it. 

I'm just not into giving up the farm for a guy who loves being on highlight reels, but really doesn't seem to care if he helps his team win. 

Think JVR, but with more skill. Hell I'd rather try and pry McTavish away...at least that kid would go through a wall to win.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Who's been in the same black hole as the Flyers...

Zegras is the next Pierre Luc Dubious to force his way into becoming some other team's headache.

Let it not be Philadelphia's.

They need elite talent. There is better talent to get.

I liken Zegras to Ristolainen. Ristolainen received little to no coaching in Buffalo and with Vigneault when Rasmus first got to Philadelphia. Tortorella and company take over and now Ristolainen is saying he wishes that he had a coach like Tortorella when he first started in the league.

I see Zegras in that same manner. The guy had consistently been fed garbage and he's become that. A good coach can fix the bad habits. And it's not as if he's PLD. This is a guy who's well liked by his teammates. I don't get that from PLD at all and that means something. The other thing is that Zegras would be surrounded not only by his friends, but also by a solid leadership group. I think a change of scenery would be good for him and I think he'd thrive under Tortorella. But that's just me.

• Like 3

An Oilers fan friend of mine for many years today:

Apparently Travis Konecny may be available.

Price would be very high, but having him for two playoff runs would be worth it.

Oilers would have to trade Kulak’s salary and probably need Philly to retain to do it.

I told him to text me again when he sobered up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

An Oilers fan friend of mine for many years today:

I told him to text me again when he sobered up.

and don't take a video

....too soon?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm sure you know it was Brad Shaw who helped Ristolainen with his defense not so much Tortorella - I'm sure even Tortorella would give Shaw the credit. A minor quibble and I agree your larger point, that Tortorella's structure - his D-first style - is a sink or swim environment. Ristolainen, to the best of his ability, chose to swim. I don't know if Zegras - considering his success as a budding offensive star - would take the same approach. Maybe...but is it worth risking what you'll have to give up to find out?

I think it's fair to say your post comes down to whether Zegras is a coachable player. I don't know the answer but I'm not convinced that projecting what Tortorella may possibly be able to teach him is a worthwhile gamble. The teacher may be willing and able but is the (expensive) student?

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

but is it worth risking what you'll have to give up to find out?

This is the big question....and the reason why I wouldn't take it. 

Why would you want to sell the farm (again, Anaheim isn't giving him away) in hope that the return will play a different style than he has his whole life?

If I'm paying that premium, I want a guy who's already willing to play that way, and does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1