Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So it is crazy how hard this group has responded and worked to get to where they are.

GHdBaEhWwAA2aKx.jpg.64fccb5cf726533ae113216cc4a67efd.jpg

I know this term gets used a lot but to me it for real feels like they are sitting back playing with house money.

But i hope they see pushing Brink and Lycksell more youth can push them maybe further along down the road more than they thought it would so why not roll the dice and flip Walker/Seeler and see if they can fill the gaps from the AHL.

Fug it its a rebuild and get this ball rolling with a trade...

As we have all discussed countless times, we have lots of skill on right wing and we are weak at center and secondly LW. I hope Briere gauges the market for TK and can maybe land a great young center plus more for TK.  I don’t really see them trading him right after giving him the A. To be honest we are not getting a high end center any other way, especially picking 25th and 30th. I still hope we can gain two more first rounders trading Laughton and Walker and then use some of those picks to move up if there is a good center available outside the top ten .

42 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's why Tortorella should have used Frost there, regardless. This was nothing more than win at all costs.

Frost is playing well but he’s not up to the task of going up against the other teams top line, In time Frost can become a number two center and Cates is not a first or second liner. Poehling is solid and has some traits that Coots has but lacks the offense. Top priority is getting a young center either by moving up in the draft after acquiring two more first round picks for Walker and Laughton, which would give us four first round picks or trading TK or having a foolish team give us a good young center for Laughton or Walker. We gotta get a center for the future. If Coots back ever gives out,we are really F’d.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I still think Couturier can bounce back. His smarts alone are enough to carry him. And honestly, I expected a rough year after missing nearly two full years. Quite frankly, I'm surprised he's played as well as he has and that maybe, just maybe, the head coach shouldn't have ridden Couturier as hard as he had. That's one of my gripes about Tortorella. He just doesn't know when to let up. There was no reason to ride Couturier so hard. I think Couturier has a big bounce back year next year.

It's not like he's going to lose a step as he ages. 🤔

He'll always have his smarts, and that's what makes him so good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I hope Briere gauges the market for TK and can maybe land a great young center plus more for TK.

Or what if you wait till the draft offseason and instead trade Tippett??

I mean he is 25 and TK is just 26 and well i'd rather keep TK and move Owen just personal preference.

Owen's MTC doesn't kick for the next two year and well i want to move him instead of intending him from the start he doesn't bring awhole lot other than scoring if i am being honest.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

It's not like he's going to lose a step as he ages. 🤔

He'll always have his smarts, and that's what makes him so good.

Well, if you have good speed and lose a step you can go from being fast to  being quick, when you are slow and hurt your back and then get old, you can go from slow to Brad Marsh.

• Haha 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I mean he is 25 and TK is just 26 and well i'd rather keep TK and move Owen just personal preference.

Owen's MTC doesn't kick for the next two year and well i want to move him instead of intending him from the start he doesn't bring awhole lot other than scoring if i am being honest.

Tippett is on a good contract and is big and strong and one of the few big power forwards we have.  TK is gonna get a bigger contract and is small guy who plays big and I’m worried about his long term durability. I wouldn’t trade one of our only power forwards especially after losing Gauthier for a small injury prone dman. The other thing is at this point TK will get us a better return.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:55 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And that's why I'm more than willing to see Seeler moved for a 3rd - because he'll re-sign to a higher number and he'll fall off a cliff. As well, and I'm sure people are gonna go nuts when I say this, but guys like Seeler are a dime a dozen, especially at the trade deadline. 

And as mentioned, Ginning is sitting in Lehigh Valley and he does the same thing that Seeler does. 

Just read Ginning is planning to go back to his former KHL team in Sweden next year...big blow!!

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I wouldn’t trade one of our only power forwards especially after losing Gauthier for a small injury prone dman.

What who said that?? I thought you were talking about getting a center??

Well Tippett might be able to bring you a young one back (say even to package and maybe move up and selecting one) and that is the guy i'd rather move as of now.

TK is under contract for next season already so i may just keep him till next year's trade deadline even maybe.

I am not saying i don't won't to trade TK he just isn't on my list of priorities as of now.

1-Atkinson

2-Risto

3-Walker

4-Seeler

5-Laughton

Their lack of true center depth is the main reason Laughton has been kept.

Might have to package the 19th and 32nd pick to move up and get maybe top 10 and have a shot at a Berkly Catton or some one around that spot you like.

On my first roll.

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft

Danny Jones is going to have to get creative not passive to fix this.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Tippett might be able to bring you a young one back (say even to package and maybe move up and selecting one) and that is the guy i'd rather move as of now.

TK is under contract for next season already so i may just keep him till next year's trade deadline even maybe.

I am not saying i don't won't to trade TK he just isn't on my list of priorities as of now.

1-Atkinson

2-Risto

3-Walker

4-Seeler

5-Laughton

Might have to package the 19th and 32nd pick to move up and get maybe top 10 and have a shot at a Berkly Catton or some one around that spot you like.

On my first roll.

I was talking about getting a center, but I just think TK gets us a better center at this, point than Tippett and I said  don’t wanna trade our only real big power forward Tippett who has a great blend of size ,speed and a great shot and keep a smaller guy who plays physical but will probably break down for playing that way. I’m saying we lost Gauthier,  so if we dump Tippet ,then we have no size on the wings . You need some size with skill in order to be a contender. I like TK, don’t get me wrong but I think Tippett is a bargain at his contract and if I can get a young center and a pick, I’d trade TK. But, since they gave him the A ,would they then turn around and trade him?

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

1-Atkinson

2-Risto

3-Walker

4-Seeler

5-Laughton

On my first roll.

If we get a first for Laughton and for Walker,that’s four first round picks we would have. I’d  try and move up, do a two for one to land a center and another two for one to land a dman. 

19 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we get a first for Laughton and for Walker,that’s four first round picks we would have.

Then you could offer sheet Pettersson then with 4 picks now you wouldn't feel it as bad.

Number one centers are really hard to come by. I've read about Petterson in Vancouver, but you can bet that Vancouver will match any offer sheet and if Petterson does want out, it's going to cost a fortune to land him. The Flyers aren't at a place where they can afford to do this. 

Best thing the Flyers can do is flood the farm system with centers and see if one will emerge. For instance, if they can land a first and Bourque from Dallas for Seeler and Walker, that's a good start. As well, if Vegas is on the hunt for Laughton, I'd love to see the Flyers target David Edstrom. 

That leaves three first round picks. With the three picks, I'd love to see Boisvert, Hage and either Ritchie or Howe be the third selection. That's two guys who are going to the NCAA route and another one who is Canadian major junior. They're going to play a lot. 

I want to see a calculated approach to building. No more rushing, no more cheating. Trade for young prospects or draft and develop them. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Trading Tippett right after signing him would be telling every player in hockey not to trust Flyers management. Tippett's not being traded nor should he be.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

40 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Number one centers are really hard to come by. I've read about Petterson in Vancouver, but you can bet that Vancouver will match any offer sheet and if Petterson does want out, it's going to cost a fortune to land him. The Flyers aren't at a place where they can afford to do this.

Here are the 10 most statistically similar players to Elias Pettersson:

image.png

tldr - Vancouver would match any offer.

24 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Here are the 10 most statistically similar players to Elias Pettersson:

image.png

tldr - Vancouver would match any offer.

You know it. Seravalli also reported tonight that Vancouver and Petterson are close to a new 8 year deal. Elias is going nowhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Tanev went to Dallas for a 2nd, conditional 3rd and a prospect. This should make Walker that much more in demand.

True. But doesn't it also set the standard for D-man trades this deadline? Can't believe Stars got Tanev for so little (basing this on my knowledge of Grushnikov being a meh prospect).

To me this says that no way is walker going to fetch any more than what Tanev was dealt for. Obviously, as you say this should make Walker more in demand and hopefully that will drive up the price. But Stars did very good here imho.