Game 58: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers; 2/24/24 @ 3 PM; ABC, ESPN+

Greetings:

The Rangers are favored (-145), which is not as heavy as expected given their current run.  The Rags took the Black Friday game 3-1 and have beaten us five in a row:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/new-york-philadelphia-odds-february-24-2024-2019484

The tale of the tape is interesting and may say a lot about the O and B playing better than expectations:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nyr-vs-phi/2024/02/24/2023020905

In so many words, we win with a poor faceoff percentage, relatively poor offense, and terrible power play.  Intangibles matter.  

It should be interesting and a benchmark.  I guess this game is a hybrid broadcast for the old-style linear TV types and the newfangled streamers.  That's too much for an old fart to comprehend!

Edited by Howie58
  • Thanks 1

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 58: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers; 2/24/24 @ 3 PM; ABC, ESPN+
1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

In so many words, we win with a poor faceoff percentage, relatively poor offense, and terrible power play. 

The Betty Crocker recipe for "getting blown out in the playoffs."

You need intangibles, but the tangibles get it done...

:hocky:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Betty Crocker recipe for "getting blown out in the playoffs."

You need intangibles, but the tangibles get it done...

:hocky:

Rad:

I wonder how long lit lasts?  Will it lead to exhaustion before the playoffs?

I expected Pitt and Washington to decline this year.  Not the Devils.  But we're even ahead of them in the standings. Hey, it is what it is.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Rad:

I wonder how long lit lasts?  Will it lead to exhaustion before the playoffs?

I expected Pitt and Washington to decline this year.  Not the Devils.  But we're even ahead of them in the standings. Hey, it is what it is.  

It's exactly what it is and that's not a bad thing.

Devils had some real injury problems. Flyers really haven't all season.

That's another aspect...

• Like 1

Sounds like Flyers’ fans still have a ways to go before they outnumber Rags’ fans in Philly. Or at least out-yell them.

Ersson has been so good today must’ve lost sight of that one. Meanwhile Flyers’ shooters keep missing…crossbar, post…close but no goals 

edit: hard work goal Laughton Sanheim…Foerster on the doorstep…good stuff Flyers!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

20 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Put a puck on the net, we might tie this thing. Too early to pull the goalie, IMHO. Our power play is an abject mess.

So true, the missed shots and the PP…an abject mess - perfect description. 

that was a winnable game for the Flyers and Frost, Couturier with wide open looks, Sanheim on the 2-0 breakaway all come up small. Nice to see Foerster get one mostly thanks to Laughton’s effort. God I hate losing to the Rangers.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

I'm not impressed by that Rangers team. I see them choking at some point because **** those guys. 

I sports hate them so much. I wish they didn't have those sweet unis it makes the hating harder because...it's a great look.

Anyway I'm of the opinion that the blowout game last year when their asshole fans took over the WFC was the event that spurred Jonesy into doing something.

If I remember that correctly he was sickened by that and said so on the broadcast. 

So too bad the Flyers couldn't capitalize on their opportunities because the effort was there. It was a game they should have won even without their best player. They played well, I'm not one for moral victories especially against those rat **** bastards.

Great fight between Meatstick and Delauriers. Nick is the real deal too, tough as a 3$ steak. That is a lot of kid to trade hands with- he dealt as good as he took. Great scrap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Anyway I'm of the opinion that the blowout game last year when their asshole fans took over the WFC was the event that spurred Jonesy into doing something.

I mean, I get it, but at the same time Flyers fans have done that in DC, Newark, and the Garden over the years...

Jonsey could always geofence the tickets...

:hyper: