Game 69: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/19/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Good thing he isn't tied up for years.

We can extend Konecny on a big contract so he can be the old, overpaid captain when Couturier retires - in 6 more years.

Edited by SCFlyguy

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Sean is running on fumes. 

Returning from back injury? check.

Has played 74 hockey games in 3 years? check

Has been put into a position of great responsibility sooner than needed? check

Was overplayed when he first came back? check

Is now "disappointing" and a healthy scratch "to make a point"? check

#neweraoforange

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hopefully they rush Drysdale back for the playoff push! 🤔

Because the playoff money is much more important then rebuilding for the future!  (The Flyers way)

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

Has played 74 hockey games in 4 years? check

#neweraoforange

Was going to say the exact same thing. This falls 100% on Tortorella for not managing Couturier's ice time. Tortorella played him hard from the get go in order to try to 'win' and secure a playoff spot. The house of cards is beginning to fall apart. Tortorella needs to own this one. I'm wondering if Couturier asks to be moved after the season is over.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Has played 74 hockey games in 3 years? check

#neweraoforange

Thing is, I wasn't disappointed with how Couturier was playing. I was expecting some lulls in his effectiveness. 

I think as spokesman for reasonable people everywhere; to expect a guy who has had 2 back surgeries (and subsequently hasn't played much hockey in the last 3 years) to play 20 minutes a night, in all situations, for 82 games, at hair on fire pace is ****** looney tunes. 

I haven't minded the Fonzie show until now.

I know Couturier can "take it", still I don't want him to "have to".

Fonzie has to answer for the mismanagement of the player.

I hope it's the first question Anthony SanFillipo asks him.

Edited by mojo1917

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Thing is, I wasn't disappointed with how Couturier was playing. I was expecting some lulls in his effectiveness. 

Right, but it's just an unforced error. No need to have made the move to name a C. His game went off a cliff right after (more injury than the C).

The idea a guy plays 74 hockey games in 3 years - including an entire season out - and he's out there for 20 minutes a game for the first five games?

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Fonzie has to answer for the mismanagement of the player.

I hope it's the first question Anthony SanFillipo asks him.

Unconventionally, he ducked the pregame presser.

There have been other Fonzie issues - like benching Sanheim in front of his family (I think there was another example of this).

Goes back to the "one playoff round win in 10 years" on his resume. Sure, it's the first one Columbus ever won... 🤪

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

There have been other Fonzie issues - like benching Sanheim in front of his family (I think there was another example of this).

He's been super harsh with Morgan Frost.

I think in the cases with the "younger players" the tough love has mostly kinda worked.

Sanhiem, after the scratch and trade fiasco went to the gym and put on some **** y'all weight and has been quite good this season.

Frost has been mostly alright since emerging from chateau de' Bow-wow too.

I really don't see where this treatment benefits Couturier in the least. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

Maybe @CoachX is right, they should have made Laughton captain?

:hocky::5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:😎

i hope you realize the mental meltdown this statement caused in my head. I mean, I like being right but, fck me!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

Total douchebag move. I know he said he didn't know Sanheim was from there.....bs.

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I really don't see where this treatment benefits Couturier in the least. 

That's because it's not supposed to benefit the player, not primarily. You hope you get a Sanheim response but it's about winning the game. Apparently Tortorella thinks other guys are going better; hard to argue with him there...

Did Tortorella mismanage Couturier this year? I'm sitting pretty far away to make that call. He's been steadily decreasing his ice time the past few months so we know Tortorella's managing his ice time. What else should he be managing for Couturier?

As far as naming him captain I highly doubt the C is weighing him down.

We don't need to look hard for why he's a healthy scratch tonight: watch him play and it's kind of a no-brainer.

edit: Isn't this what everyone said they wanted, a HC who would "hold players accountable no matter who they are?" Yes. Many of us said that - even specifically pointing out Frost's benching but not Atkinson (favoritism!). Atkinson but not Couturier (hypocrite!). And now Couturier is making the popcorn and it's 100 variations of "Tortorella sucks." You guys kill me! 🤣

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Did Tortorella mismanage Couturier this year? I'm sitting pretty far away to make that call. He's been steadily decreasing his ice time the past few months so we know Tortorella's managing his ice time.

Couturier got an injury in January and was playing ~20 minutes a night before that. Pretty safe to say he'd be getting the same minutes without the injury, given that they're in a "playoff race."

When paid Flyers writer Bill Meltzer is questioning the move, I don't think it's a few posters on here going off reservation.

This is Torts' game, as you point out. I'm not "concerned" any more than I have been when the Flyers have run other players - willingly - into the ground.

One (who said it shortened his career) is being honored April 13.

Finally, "to win the game" is specifically NOT what they said this season was about. It was about developing culture and obviously accountability for everyone is part of that.

But benching your month-old captain IS a bold move.

image.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

R.I.P. former Flyer draft pick Chris Simon.

From Wikipedia:

In 1996, he won the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche. Each player on the winning team is given 24 hours alone with the Cup. Simon took it to his hometown of Wawa, Ontario. After showing it to the townspeople he and his maternal grandfather took the Cup on a fishing trip.

🥹

Imagine your first ever game in the NHL, and you have to line up across from this...

image.jpg

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Total douchebag move. I know he said he didn't know Sanheim was from there.....bs.

He did it to Brink this year when they went to Minnesota. Yep that is fuctup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

From Wikipedia:

In 1996, he won the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche. Each player on the winning team is given 24 hours alone with the Cup. Simon took it to his hometown of Wawa, Ontario. After showing it to the townspeople he and his maternal grandfather took the Cup on a fishing trip.

🥹

Imagine your first ever game in the NHL, and you have to line up across from this...

image.jpg

Yeah ask Mike Grier Hollweg and Ruttu!

Dude wasn't scared to swing a stick.

Sad to see anyone unalive themselves.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Finally, "to win the game" is specifically NOT what they said this season was about. It was about developing culture and obviously accountability for everyone is part of that.

According to Tortorella it's always been about "winning the next game" and "we can't worry about the standings" and "we're focused on X-team" etc. That's been his message all season. The culture change had to happen first - obviously. They all said changing the room was Priority One. But trying to win every game - every shift - is integral to that; it's an indispensable part of the attitude change.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

But benching your month-old captain IS a bold move.

To say the least! I give up trying to figure Tortorella. I gave it a shot. I agree with his decision to bench Couturier at some point but why tonight I have no idea. It's such a huge game; just for FOs alone I'd have Couturier on the ice. 

edit: Maybe benching Couturier is a way sending the strongest message possible to the entire room. When the coach benches the captain things are obviously not going well. Lot of goals given up too few scored and Couturier's been as "meh" as anyone. Next one is Konecny he looks like a shell of himself lately.

Benching Couturier (or TK) says it loud and clear: nobody is "safe." That's all I got.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

To say the least! I give up trying to figure Tortorella. I gave it a shot. I agree with his decision to bench Couturier at some point but why tonight I have no idea.

1 goal in the last 27 games is staring me in the face as to why his last February 10th the previous  one was January 6th.

Yeah accountability has to apply to everyone i get it.

We busted Jake's balls forever for never putting up goals Coots is in the same boat.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We busted Jake's balls forever for never putting up goals Coots is in the same boat.

Agreed but Jake was also a floater and turnover machine. 
Yep, still hate him 😂

After missing the last two years, Coots looks as if he’s hit a wall after a good start to the season. I will be at the game Thursday in Raleigh and hope to see a pissed off Coots leading the boy’s against the Canes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

so far the "shake up" is having a good effect. Early goals in the first 2 periods - great to see. .both teams  hitting some posts tonight..

FROST with a goal - wow that was from out in the parking lot! Holysh.. top of the zone - couple good screens by the Leafs thank you...

3-0 Flyers. Now they just can't have a 10-minute collapse and give them all back.