Game 76: New York Islanders at Philadelphia Flyers; 4/1/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The bottom pair is not working should reinsert Ginning and Attard - sit Zamula and Johnson too.

No more Cam and Nic D either this is hockey everyone needs to be rowing.

Brink and Lycksell are better hockey players and make the team better not Cam/Nic.

It doesn't help any that the Wings won too. This team looks cooked.

:BrownBag:

Drysdale is also horrible defensively, if we could trade him for a high pick at the draft or use the FLA pick and him to get a top ten I and grab a dman, I’d do it.  He’s a small injury prone softie.

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Come on, he hit a career high in goals this year, he’s been our best defenseman. He’s obviously not a true #1 dman  and Torts has  his him playing huge minutes as I’d he is, that’s been a big problem with our team for years in miscasting players. If we had a better player group of dman he would be a better player because he’d be on the second pair where he should be.

He started well but has fell back to his soft in his own end self saying anything else is just not being honest

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Drysdale is also horrible defensively, if we could trade him for a high pick at the draft or use the FLA pick and him to get a top ten I and grab a dman, I’d do it.  He’s a small injury prone softie.

Sure he's young and is an offensive Dman who is still learning but if you can move him for say a young center who can help I say sure why not this team needs so much I look at everything and everyone

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure he's young and is an offensive Dman who is still learning but if you can move him for say a young center who can help I say sure why not this team needs so much I look at everything and everyone

To me he’s another Ghost, all offense and zero defense, we got robbed in trading him for Gauthier. I know we were handcuffed in the deal. I wish we would have got Byrum, I know Briere tried to get him but Colorado ended up trading him to Buffalo . 

Just now, RonJeremy said:

To me he’s another Ghost, all offense and zero defense, we got robbed in trading him for Gauthier. I know we were handcuffed in the deal. I wish we would have got Byrum, I know Briere tried to get him but Colorado ended up trading him to Buffalo . 

Haven't actually seen enough of him to have a true opinion of him yet.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Haven't actually seen enough of him to have a true opinion of him yet.

He basically the Nolan Patrick of defenseman, he always hurt and his development is way behind due to injuries. I hope we trade him at the deadline.

• Uggh... 2

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's not an implosion.  This is the kind of team you get when you have nothing but mids.

I dunno had a couple of the "mids" managed to stay healthy, I think this team beats that Islanders team and takes care of business vs at least Chicago.

These dudes are worn out. 

I do agree with your over-arching point though. 

I feel like I need more data on Drysdale before I jettison him for magic beans. 

He's got some "you can't teaches" to his game that are evident in limited viewing. 

Give him some time to get healthy and coached up by Brad Shaw and make a determination then.

The injuries, they are concerning, maybe he out grows them. It happens. His body isn't fully grown. 

He's what? 21? That's young and he's nowhere near finished developing as an NHL defenseman.

I think there is significant room for his game to grow.

My favorite defenseman weren't super physical players. Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Howe all managed to be pretty awesome. Drysdale skates like Niedermeyer- I'd definitely get a longer look at that talent.

• Like 3

I've been disappointed in Farabee for months now. "Invisible" is exactly what comes to mind. I suppose he hasn't had a horrible year stat-wise - he'll break 50pts (21G/28A) - but this is what I see too:

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He's not really around the play or almost making something happen-he's been- like 10 minutes of almost treading water a night.

Tortorella had to be thinking of Farabee when he talked about "if you don't have enough balls to play these types of games..." Maybe the neck injury spooked Farabee; he wouldn't be the first to dial it back after a scary injury / rehab.

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I wish this implosion would have happened in February instead of April. 

That makes perfect sense but for the rebuild Briere is doing a tight PO race is better than a somewhat higher pick. Meaningful games ultimately serve the rebuild better than picking 8th instead of 12th (or whatever)*. Evaluating the roster is what this year is all about, right? There's no substitute for pressure. The Flyers brought it on themselves and now it's intense. Who can execute and who can't? How much does the mental and physical fatigue factor into the evaluation? etc.

* there was no chance the Flyers would be in the race to pick top 5 this year. Briere can always trade up and where they finish has little bearing on how that plays out.

• Like 2

These guys are playing sluggish and whooped. They're toast. It would have been nice to have added a couple of impact players at the deadline, especially ones with some offensive skills. The last GM and those above him at the time, buried this team with awful decision making, and Briere couldn't do much..BUT I wish he had done a bit more at the deadline. Tortorella has gotten as much out of them, as he can. They just don't have enough of anything, especially consistent talent. They'll be on the golf course by the end of the first round of the playoffs, if they make it that far. 2-5-3 in their last 10.

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I feel like I need more data on Drysdale before I jettison him for magic beans. 

He's got some "you can't teaches" to his game that are evident in limited viewing. 

Give him some time to get healthy and coached up by Brad Shaw and make a determination then.

The injuries, they are concerning, maybe he out grows them. It happens. His body isn't fully grown. 

He's what? 21? That's young and he's nowhere near finished developing as an NHL defenseman.

I think there is significant room for his game to grow.

My favorite defenseman weren't super physical players. Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Howe all managed to be pretty awesome. Drysdale skates like Niedermeyer- I'd definitely get a longer look at that talent.

I’m just concerned about his small size, Nieds and Lidstrom weren’t physical but they had solid size and weren’t hit with  multiple major injuries before they hit 22. I don’t think having two small guys like York and Drysdale as my first pair is gonna work in the long run. I hope he works out, but I have a sick feeling that we are gonna lose the Gauthier trade big time. if we could use him to move up in the draft and get a guy like Dickinson, I’d unload him in a minute.

21 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

These guys are playing sluggish and whooped. They're toast. It would have been nice to have added a couple of impact players at the deadline, especially ones with some offensive skills. The last GM and those above him at the time, buried this team with awful decision making, and Briere couldn't do much..BUT I wish he had done a bit more at the deadline. Tortorella has gotten as much out of them, as he can. They just don't have enough of anything, especially consistent talent. They'll be on the golf course by the end of the first round of the playoffs, if they make it that far. 2-5-3 in their last 10.

There is no way, we were getting any impact player unless you traded TK, we don’t have anything else to trade that will get a great return . We cannot win anything with the centers we currently have . Frost is playing first line but he’s more like a second line. guy. Poehling and Laughton are certainly not second liners and Coots is washed up. We have a long way to go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frost with a horrible play in OT fumbles the puck then stares at Palmieri never once looks around to pick up Nelson the goal scorer... too easy for the Isles.

That puck was about 5 feet behind him. Poor pass absolutely handcuffed, shackled, and sodomized him in about a tenth of a second.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

York and Drysdale as my first pair is gonna work in the long run.

I don't think that's a first pair.

I think those guys play on different parings.

Oliver Bonk has good size, This Hunter MacDonald has good size and a mean streak, Carter Southeran has good size. 

You wouldn't need to put York and Drysdale together unless is was 6 on 5 or specialty teams.

Drysdale's skating is so good, he may ultimately thrive with a Chris Therrien/Darren Hatcher type as his partner. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's not an implosion.  This is the kind of team you get when you have nothing but mids.

agree, not an implosion but simply them coming back down to Earth, they've played better this season than anyone expected.

as Ray Diddy would say "Reality Check! " 🫠

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That makes perfect sense but for the rebuild Briere is doing a tight PO race is better than a somewhat higher pick.

I would like to see some data to back up this drivel.  Making the playoffs hasn't help them make the playoffs again the next year since 2011.

I would take the top 8 draft pick over whatever they are going to get this year.

46 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

agree, not an implosion but simply them coming back down to Earth, they've played better this season than anyone expected.

as Ray Diddy would say "Reality Check! " 🫠

They're burning out. The veterans in the room are getting tired themselves and aren't good enough, and don't have "another level" necessarily to get to. Many of the younger players haven't experienced an end of the season push, or an NHL playoff run. I give Torts a lot of credit, because I didn't think at the start of the season, that he would do so well with a  young team. That being said, questioning your team's stones in public, might not have been the best way to deal with it.  When you're 3-5-2 down the stretch, though, I guess it's time to try anything. They have 100% played better than anyone, especially the so-called experts, expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

I would like to see some data to back up this drivel.

Can't you disagree and be polite about it? If you can't reach that high try simple courtesy. This isn't the first time ... here's hoping you make it the last .

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

That being said, questioning your team's stones in public, might not have been the best way to deal with it. 

I'm turning into a Tortorella apologist..good lord!... hopefully his comments embarrassed them the way they embarrassed themselves in that game. It could backfire but I honestly don't think he was trying to "send a message" or do public therapy: he was just disgusted and didn't hide it.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think that's a first pair.

I think those guys play on different parings.

Oliver Bonk has good size, This Hunter MacDonald has good size and a mean streak, Carter Southeran has good size. 

You wouldn't need to put York and Drysdale together unless is was 6 on 5 or specialty teams.

Drysdale's skating is so good, he may ultimately thrive with a Chris Therrien/Darren Hatcher type as his partner. 

His scouting report actually says he needs to paired with a defensive guy to get the most out of him.

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Give him some time to get healthy

Yet here he is playing so we can maybe make the playoffs.

It's insanity with a player who should be allowed to, as you say, get healthy.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

His scouting report actually says he needs to paired with a defensive guy to get the most out of him.

Hunter McDonald sounds like the perfect fit then.

23 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I've been on here saying I think Joel Farabee is a guy worth keeping...then I look at his stats and I think differently.

Where has this guy gone?

He has been a non-factor for most of this season.

Last night would have been a night for him to announce he's a guy that can be counted on when it gets tough.

Instead, he was invisible. 

He's not really around the play or almost making something happen-he's been- like 10 minutes of almost treading water a night.

I thought he was going to be a good play-driving winger for many years, he's been mostly meh for the last two, I know he was weak from a neck re-hab last season...but this year? 

MIA.

I know guys are playing hurt, Konceny hasn't been right since blocking that shot @NYR. York and Sanhiem have been playing 30 minutes a night because who else was available? 

It's caught up, the clock looks to be striking mid-night.  

I wish this implosion would have happened in February instead of April. 

Joel Farabee = JVR 2.0

The NHL was just fine back in the middle 80s. Then they had to change the game to get ratings and draw "new fans". Those changes have been a detriment to the league ever since, which is why its the fifth most streamed sport.

it was fine the way it was

• Like 1