Game 79: Philadelphia Flyers at Montreal Canadiens; 4/9/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Yes that defensive stalwart Seeler was a -5 

‘You just can’t fall in love’,” Tortorella concluded. “You can’t because if you do, it’s going to set you back. 

Too bad John Tortorella is always too busy shooting his mouth off than to actually listen to what John Tortorella is saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any player at this point “playing through injuries “ regardless of who should not be on the ice. You gain nothing. Play the hell out of young guys and even Staal and Johnson if they are healthy. I was hoping to see them make the playoffs before the injuries took their toll on this team but they have been horrid since the trade deadline. Who knew Walker was a critical piece of this team…….

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Who knew Walker was a critical piece of this team…….

His advanced metrics were pretty awesome and he was really good on the PK. 

That and the fact that everyone got hurt and then he was traded kind of killed the season.

Not to mention causing the uproar around a 4th round pick for and old guy, who is here until the season ends.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

As cheesy as it may be to quote myself...

On 1/17/2024 at 1:44 PM, JR Ewing said:

I think this is a *very* good way to look at things.

GF% and CorsiFor% tend to match up very well with each other: if a player is having unsustainable good luck, it should show up with a GF% a lot higher than expected (sort of like the entire Canucks team this year). The opposite generally holds true if his GF% is much lower than his CorsiFor%, but either way, as the games pile up, there's a tendency for these numbers to be pretty close to each other, plus or minus a couple of percent. A gap of 5-10% usually reverts to the mean.

If you look at those and their PDO, it's a decent look at whether or not a player has been getting the bounces: over 1.0, and the player's numbers are (except in the rare case of superstars) probably not sustainable, and if it's lower than 1.0, his results are unsustainably low.

Nick Seeler

GF%: 58.8%, CF%: 50.2%, PDO: 1.014

Sean Walker

GF%: 54.6%, 52 CF%, 0.996

So yes, just as you point out, Seeler's results are due for a collapse. When it will happen, nobody knows, but when a player is a getting a lot more of the goals than the possession indicates, with a high PDO, the regression is coming.

Walker, though, is getting results that are matching is play. He seems worth holding on to, for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

As cheesy as it may be to quote myself...

Walker had a great year, but trading him was the right move. We're supposed to be rebuilding. They should have traded Seeler too. Among others.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Walker had a great year, but trading him was the right move. We're supposed to be rebuilding. They should have traded Seeler too. Among others.

They shouldn't have traded Seeler (thankfully, they didn't) , but I would have lowered the reported asking price on Laughton.

Edited by FD19372

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with trading him at all. He's on the wrong side of 30 and not a core player going forward. The "keep him around" part was in reference to the post to which I originally was responding, where the other poster was asking which players could be expected to maintain their level of play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It probably was the right move, and Walker not being here isn't the main reason for the Flyers struggles..by ANY stretch of the imagination. I don't think it's a total coincidence, however, that they've struggled more defensively and offensively since he was traded to the Avs.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It probably was the right move, and Walker not being here isn't the main reason for the Flyers struggles..by ANY stretch of the imagination. I don't think it's a total coincidence, however, that they've struggled more defensively and offensively since he was traded to the Avs.

The combination of losing their best two-way defender and gaining a sub-replacement one is a thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radoran said:

It's insane.

For just about any other NHL franchise, it would be.  For the Flyers, it's just another day in the Flyerland.... Business as usual.  

What *is* insane is that people still pay money to go and watch the garbage they put on ice.... year after year. If fans stop paying money, something would change.

• Like 1

Just now, Mad Dog said:

What *is* insane is that people still pay money to go and watch the garbage they put on ice.... year after year.

Until last week they were pretty fun to watch.

They were really frisky, never seemed to be out of a game. 

The talent disparity was evident when they played the true contenders but for 70 games they played pretty well.

I enjoyed watching them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If anyone's looking for something to watch and hasn't already, I'm mid-season 2 of Yellowjackets.   It's mostly dark but often funny and, for me, really very good.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled spin cycle.

Hey, the 3 Body Problem is some excellent science fiction.

We blew through it in a weekend. 

Those GOT nerds can adapt a book. 

4 hours ago, radoran said:

And we're "further along than we thought" and the "culture" is fixed and we have FALLEN IN LOVE WITH JOURNEYMAN WAIVER WIRE PICKUPS WHO ARE ESSENTIAL TO OUR CULTURAL REBUILD.

It's insane.

God, having to listen to this drivel all season was driving me nuts.

It's one thing for the team to say this - they are getting paid to.

It's another for fans to delude themselves like this.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

He wasn't.

Just because one tire isn't bald doesn't mean it's a critical piece.

Get real - this team has no critical pieces.

• Good Post 2

Ok, I'm done now (no one post anything dumb I have to respond to).

I will leave it at this: rooting for anything other than a full teardown at this point is getting in line for seconds at the feces buffet.

• Good Post 2

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Or since they replaced him with a defenseman who cannot play defence...for a 4th round pick.  I don't care that he's not here past this year.   He should not have been here at all and the whole exercise was asinine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

What *is* insane is that people still pay money to go and watch the garbage they put on ice.... year after year. If fans stop paying money, something would change.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Until last week they were pretty fun to watch.

I stopped paying a while ago. Then bought a game (Tippett's hatty) at the end of last season and it was fun. My wife likes the time out. We've gone a couple of times this season, one was the Gritty Section, which is not a place to "watch a game" but was really fun.

And that's great, if you're looking to be entertained. It's a fun game. I started liking Finland not because they won in 1980, but because they lost (obviously).

People came back because they bought into the idea that this was going to be different.

If we want to be a fan of a mismanaged middling bubble playoff team with a highly talented Russian superstar winger, we could just go to the Wild forum.

They missed the playoffs, too.

• Good Post 2

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

for a 4th round pick.

Whatever will they do without the next Maksim Sushko, Connor Bunnaman, Mikhail Vorobyov, Tye McGinn, or Taylor Leier?

That's the 235 games the Flyers have gotten from the 4th Round in the past 15 years.

Your last "impact" fourth rounder was Radovan Somik in 1995. No, really.

They lost a 4th Rounder.

The horror. The horror.

The problem is "making a playoff push" and "being ahead of schedule" in YEAR ONE of the "rebuild".

YEAR ONE.

"Doing it the right way".

:hocky:

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Whatever will they do without the next Maksim Sushko, Connor Bunnaman, Mikhail Vorobyov, Tye McGinn, or Taylor Leier?

Well, there have been very successful picks in the 4th round, but it's the Flyers we're talking about so fair.

But that doesn't mean to throw it away for a defenseman even Buffalo doesn't want.   Because, I mean, the last Buffalo castoff defenseman turned out sooooo well.

Take as many swings as you can.  

And this:

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

The problem is "making a playoff push" and "being ahead of schedule" in YEAR ONE of the "rebuild".

YEAR ONE.

Completely on point.

The 4th rounder is indicative of this idiocy, and that's why I harp on it.

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

If we want to be a fan of a mismanaged middling bubble playoff team with a highly talented Russian superstar winger, we could just go to the Wild forum.

We REALLY ARE the Minnesota Wild! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's the 235 games the Flyers have gotten from the 4th Round in the past 15 years.

Your last "impact" fourth rounder was Radovan Somik in 1995. No, really.

They lost a 4th Rounder.

The horror. The horror.

YEAR ONE.

:hocky:

Ya, the stupidity is giving away ANY asset for a washed up bum. Rarely do ANY picks after the 2nd round end up being quality NHLers, especially when selected by a bunch of idiots still living in the 1970s. But the more you have of them, the better your chance is of striking gold. Heck Chuck Fletcher PROVED an idiot can get lucky with a late round pick...he certainly proved it wasn't genius. 

I'd like to apologize to anyone who's sick and tired of me insulting Chuck Fletcher yet again...but after what he put me through for almost 5 years, I'll NEVER stop! 🤪

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, there have been very successful picks in the 4th round

I mean, like your Pageaus, Copps, Nyqvists... Fantasy waiver wire types :hocky:

I know you hang you hat on Erik Gustaffssoonnn and Johnny Hockey. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

but it's the Flyers we're talking about so fair.

You should see how many years they don't have a 4th... :hocky:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007439.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

They shouldn't have traded Seeler (thankfully, they didn't) , but I would have lowered the reported asking price on Laughton.

Yes, they should have. We'll see how you feel midway through his sparkling new contract. 

• Like 2

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Heck Chuck Fletcher PROVED an idiot can get lucky with a late round pick

He didn't. Kaprizov signed after they canned Fletcher. Fletch didn't even sign him.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

But the more you have of them, the better your chance is of striking gold.

I obviously don't disagree. I just think the wailing and gnashing of teeth from folks who also think the franchise's inability to develop players mirrors their inability to develop COVID without a mask sucking on a used ventilator tube in a NYC hospital in August 2020 is, shall we say, somewhat overblown?

By all means, blow on. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.