Flyers 2023-24: A Post-Season Appraisal

18 minutes ago, icehole said:

, the first key piece of the "future", the one we were all watching closely, the one who is probably the number one or two prospect in the NHL refuses to play for the team, and is traded before ever playing a game for us.

It kinda sucked, though he doesn't sound like the kind of guy you can count on does he?

As for the top prospect, he's not even Phillys top prospect. And I'd have traded him in a heartbeat for Celebrini. 

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

For me, it depends on how long the contract is. If it's a 7 or 8 year deal, I'm skeptical because then we're looking at 35 - 36. In most cases, forwards are usually done by that time. They simply don't have the wheels anymore or the hands aren't what they used to be. Now, you might be able to dump the contract off to a team that needs to hit the salary floor, but then you're giving up a huge asset to make that move.

If the contract is a 5 to 6 year deal, that's a little more palatable. You've got someone who will be 34 - 35 by the time the contract finishes and maybe you can get them to sign a team discount deal for another two years if they have something left in the tank. Part of the problem with Konecny is his style of play leads to injuries and time on the injured list. The thing is, I don't know if you can tone him down. 

Do I think you move him? Hmm, I'm not sure. You could make a case for both moving him and keeping him.

Konecny is a small guy who plays big and he has been injured a number of times throughout his career, he has missed about 20 games in three out of of his seven seasons. They have him listed at 192lbs, he is more like 175. I would gauge the trade market and see what the offers are before I give him a Coots style contract.

49 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It kinda sucked, though he doesn't sound like the kind of guy you can count on does he?

As for the top prospect, he's not even Phillys top prospect. And I'd have traded him in a heartbeat for Celebrini. 

It’s funny that the first big piece of our rebuild is already gone and I am not impressed with Drysdale, he’s a step above Ghost in talent level, his defensive game is mediocre and he hasn’t scored much, at least Ghost scored some big goals, Drysdale was invisible for the Flyers. He also said he may need offseason work done on his shoulder. Other than that it’s looking like a great trade. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It’s funny that the first big piece of our rebuild is already gone and I am not impressed with Drysdale, he’s a step above Ghost in talent level, his defensive game is mediocre and he hasn’t scored much, at least Ghost scored some big goals, Drysdale was invisible for the Flyers. He also said he may need offseason work done on his shoulder. Other than that it’s looking like a great trade. 

He was never destined to be a minute munching #1, because he's too small and isn't strong defensively... For me, the big question with the trade was Drysdale's ability to stay healthy. He's only played one full season since 2019, his first year with Erie, and it's just not tracking well. What surprised me was Briere, with a smaller team, gambling with an under-sized defenseman. He's not heavy and doesn't have the wingspan you'd like to see.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

What surprised me was Briere, with a smaller team, gambling with an under-sized defenseman. He's not heavy and doesn't have the wingspan you'd like to see.

There is a "take what you can get" aspect to this trade.

It's not like Briere was shopping Gauthier by choice - he essentially had to move him.

I'd imagine another recent top-10 pick defenceman with size and wingspan wasn't necessarily available. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's not like Briere was shopping Gauthier by choice - he essentially had to move him.

I'd imagine another recent top-10 pick defenceman with size and wingspan wasn't necessarily available. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Other than the one taken one pick after Fletcher drafted Gauthier.

@flyercanuck

@radoran

Wasn't that guy injured during his draft year?

It's Jiriceck right? 

He had a bum knee, and it was serious like missing most of his season serious. I'm remembering this correctly yes?

Funny to me how that guy gets a pass- but Drysdale? he's damaged goods.

Is it a size thing?

Not trying to start a row or anything but I do question if I'm remembering it right and why I perceive this difference. 

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

I agree with all of that, but for the proviso that you can cast a net wider than the return needing to match something close to the draft position.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@flyercanuck

@radoran

It's Jiriceck right? 

He had a bum knee, and it was serious like missing most of his season serious. I'm remembering this correctly yes?

Is it a size thing?

Not trying to start a row or anything but I do question if I'm remembering it right and why I perceive this difference. 

Yes, he had an injury. The thing was he was rated right around where Philly picked. Philly needed a #1 defenceman and a #1 centre...so Fletcher took a winger. 

two drafts later, and Philly needs a #1 defenceman and a #1 centre. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

No, he was available at the draft instead of Gauthier. 

So, instead of the guy who said before the draft he wanted to come here, they should have drafted the big European defenceman.

And they were also gonna take the defenceman committed to a US College instead of the big Canadian center.

I like 20/20 hindsight teams. The Flyers have Robertson-Aho-Debrincat on their first line. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Gauthier screwed the team over. The Flyers got what they could out of it.

• Good Post 1

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@flyercanuck

@radoran

It's Jiriceck right? 

Is it a size thing?

Drysdale's had one season in his last five where he was healthy, and Jiricek has had one season in his last five where he was injured.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I agree with all of that, but for the proviso that you can cast a net wider than the return needing to match something close to the draft position.

Given that we only found out about Gauthier not wanting to be on the Flyers after the deal went down, we don't really have any perspective on how wide a net was cast.

I get the feeling that sending him to the Other Conference also played a role.

Drysdale has some obvious red flags. On the plus side, he appears to want to be here and seems liked in the room.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Drysdale's had one season in his last five where he was healthy, and Jiricek has had one season in his last five where he was injured.

I'm hoping that he outgrows the injuries. 

It's happened before.  Justin Williams was a good example for this. 

He was injured frequently in his early career also. He wound up having a pretty good career. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Citation needed.

I don't see anything different from the last several years, other than fewer players I hate.  That doesn't mean more players that are actually good.

Dear SC:  I know you are in part joshing me, but seriously, I am not saying we are on the verge of greatness.  But we finished above .500 and our longest losing this year was eight games, not 10.  That's improvement.  I agree there's no one player who's that great.  But the product is more competitive.  

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

He was never destined to be a minute munching #1, because he's too small and isn't strong defensively... For me, the big question with the trade was Drysdale's ability to stay healthy. He's only played one full season since 2019, his first year with Erie, and it's just not tracking well. What surprised me was Briere, with a smaller team, gambling with an under-sized defenseman. He's not heavy and doesn't have the wingspan you'd like to see.

After what happened with Nolan Patrick, I don’t know how Briere even took a chance on twice injured , frail , small guy like Drysdale. We already have a dman just like him, minus the injuries in Cam York.. Gauthier was a #6 pick, so I would have asked for Anaheims pick protected as long as it wasn’t the#1 pick, if it was the #2 then we throw them something else. I don’t believe that was the absolute best offer out there,.We got robbed. I hope we unload Drysdale to move up in the draft before he becomes Patrick the second. He’s a p u $ $ y.

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Dear SC:  I know you are in part joshing me, but seriously, I am not saying we are on the verge of greatness.  But we finished above .500 and our longest losing this year was eight games, not 10.  That's improvement.  I agree there's no one player who's that great.  But the product is more competitive.  

It's a stepping stone. More than a few of these players, never experience an 82 game season or an NHL playoff push. They are well coached and many of the young players, are learning and improving. They are on the verge of being a playoff team (as they were until the last game of the regular season this year. I won't go beyond that, at the moment.

Now, Danny B has to improve our capspace situation, then sign Reinhart in the off-season, and get a starting goalie. There will be those who disagree on that strategy (signing Reinhart). If he wants 8 years, I would be probably not sign him. Hopefully, he would settle for a 4 or 5 year deal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

After what happened with Nolan Patrick, I don’t know how Briere even took a chance on twice injured , frail , small guy like Drysdale. We already have a dman just like him, minus the injuries in Cam York.. Gauthier was a #6 pick, so I would have asked for Anaheims pick protected as long as it wasn’t the#1 pick, if it was the #2 then we throw them something else. I don’t believe that was the absolute best offer out there,.We got robbed. I hope we unload Drysdale to move up in the draft before he becomes Patrick the second. He’s a p u $ $ y.

Maybe he is that ^. I don't know. What I do know, is that Drysdale needs a strong stay at home, defensive defenseman (which he certainly is not) to play alongside. He makes Ghost look like Chris Pronger. If they don't think Drysdale's defensive game can or will improve much at all..they should try and move him. 

The season was fun to watch but the appraisal I'm really interested in is where Jones/Briere say it fits in their rebuild timeline. Are the Flyers closer now to becoming a Cup contender or did this season convince them to trade TK and begin a more thorough rebuild?

They're never going "tank" we know that, either legitimately or the way the Pens did it (twice); that's just not in their DNA. But the "accelerated rebuild" didn't get them very far this year. Tortorella got everything possible out of them, which made for exciting Flyers' games. I'm not sure it advanced the team much toward the goal of becoming a Cup contender.

Remembering where the Flyers were before Jones/Briere/Tortorella took over I congratulate them all for turning it around. Exceeding expectations this year was the icing on the cake. But now it's turned around and a repeat of this year, with Tortorella driving a roster of decent players to "overachieve" is probably not good enough.

To end on a positive note: something we haven't seen from a Flyers' roster in ages...a few guys actually developed their games on the fly and did so convincingly. Not just Shaw's guys. Foerster's got a complete game already; if he improves his skating he'll be a monster.

Some good came out of this season I only wish it hadn't left me wondering more instead of less about the overall direction of the team.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Well ****, all that based on less than 30 games. You got some lottery numbers to share? 

You're certainty about this comes from what information? 

The fantastical scenario where Anahiem gives up its 1st pick happens how?  because you'd "alpha up" on the trade partner or something as looney?

Who had the leverage? 

Where is your info from or is that scenario what you'd do on Playstation?

Your post is a bunch of ill informed nonsense. But written in an authoritative way, to seem like you knew better then and certainly know better now. 

Your insight is usually way better than this garbage. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, radoran said:

I like 20/20 hindsight teams. The Flyers have Robertson-Aho-Debrincat on their first line.

Ya, this isn't the first time I said they should have taken Jiricek. 

I don't put this on Briere, this is on Fletcher. As usual.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Konecny is a small guy who plays big and he has been injured a number of times throughout his career, he has missed about 20 games in three out of of his seven seasons. They have him listed at 192lbs, he is more like 175. I would gauge the trade market and see what the offers are before I give him a Coots style contract.

i wouldnt give anyone a Coots style contract, ever again

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

No, he was available at the draft instead of Gauthier. 

Seriously, the Flyers should have never traded for Lindros.....

take that!

image.png.17a511aea9fa5b4a20f07eee4ed914c1.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Seriously, the Flyers should have never traded for Lindros.....

There's actually a not bad argument to be made there...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2