Michkov may be here this summer

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd be all for trading for a young #1C to help Michkov reach his potential...who the heck is trading one away

It would need to be a prospect and it would probably solve the Konecny extension.

I am wondering if having a running mate for Michkov is beneficial or, eh, Matvei will make Morgan Frost a 70 pt player.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Doesn't matter

after just looking over the last 20 Cup winners

you pretty much have to have a #1 or #2 overall on the roster to win a Cup.

Only teams that didn't was Blues but they had a #3 and #4 overall on them.

And the 2003 Devils but they had the 3rd and 5th overall picks on their team.

So yeah if they ain't winning a Cup who cares.

The only thing we can hope for is a guy like MICHKOV who was a # 7, plays like a #1 and then we have to suck again next season an be in the bottom five for a lottery pick.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe Michkov becomes like Jagr . If you remember that draft it was Owen Nolan, Keith Primeau, Peter Nedved, Mike Ricci and then Jagr. He was by far the best player, so even if he is almost as good as Bedard ,we are ahead of the game.

Edited by RonJeremy

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

we have to suck again next season an be in the bottom five for a lottery pick.

If they would buy a pair and ship out guys like Konecny, Laughton and Sanheim and well that would help them slide closer to doing that.

And it would genuinely be best for the rebuild as well.

But i get it keeping TK for the Cup run when he could be 30-31 which isn't too old to help but why i want no more than a 5 year deal because by then you want to be paying him a little less when the deal expires.

You're not going to be going damn i wish we locked him longer at that rate by then end.

This draft will let us know if they can even find the players they will need to make a great team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe Michkov becomes like Jagr .

I think this is a good comparison. 

If Michkov was a farm boy from the Scatch he's the consensus #2 pick behind Bedard last year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If Michkov was a farm boy from the Scatch he's the consensus #2 pick behind Bedard last year.

Michkov would have been the #2 prospect if it wasn't for Putins war. 

And it's The Skatch  😁

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I remember the Flyers and other teams really liked Jags skill and size but were afraid of  problems getting him out of Eastern Europe, then the Soviet Union collapsed  and he came over pretty easily. The Flyers went the safe route with Ricci ,who was really just a third line center. Imagine if we had drafted Jagr and we drafted Forsberg the following year, if we kept them and didn’t trade for Lindros , what a great combo that would have been .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they would buy a pair and ship out guys like Konecny, Laughton and Sanheim and well that would help them slide closer to doing that.

And it would genuinely be best for the rebuild as well.

But i get it keeping TK for the Cup run when he could be 30-31 which isn't too old to help but why i want no more than a 5 year deal because by then you want to be paying him a little less when the deal expires.

You're not going to be going damn i wish we locked him longer at that rate by then end.

This draft will let us know if they can even find the players they will need to make a great team.

Konecny is gonna be looking for 8 million for 7-8 years, we are already stuck with a washed up Coots for 6 more years. I really hope they trade him. I don’t see them trading Sanheim who is  our best all around defenseman, but if they did that would ensure a total collapse to the bottom of the standings. Just look at how they dropped when they traded Walker. 

54 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t see them trading Sanheim who is  our best all around defenseman, but if they did that would ensure a total collapse to the bottom of the standings.

They tried to move him once. TK and Sanheim are best buds.

A nice package to a team trying to make a run like - Winnipeg....or insert another team with assets and space to take them on.

Danny would have to be aggressive and creative maybe to some teams with young assets and space i'm not familiar with every teams cap situation.

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm beginning to think part of the reason we overpaid for Fedetov is that Briere knew that Michkov was coming over and they wanted a mentor to help Michkov. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I'm beginning to think part of the reason we overpaid for Fedetov is that Briere knew that Michkov was coming over and they wanted a mentor to help Michkov. 

A mentor?  Don’t you think Danny would’ve picked someone that has been in North America for a while to do that?  Zamula would be a better choice for that.  Plus, goalies are “different”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree with AFF....it's just yet another dumb overpayment by Flyer brass in the long line of dumb overpayments by Flyer brass. You can put lipstick on that pig if you want....

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I remember the Flyers and other teams really liked Jags skill and size but were afraid of  problems getting him out of Eastern Europe, then the Soviet Union collapsed  and he came over pretty easily. The Flyers went the safe route with Ricci ,who was really just a third line center. Imagine if we had drafted Jagr and we drafted Forsberg the following year, if we kept them and didn’t trade for Lindros , what a great combo that would have been .

Ricci was only a third line center because that was where the clubs used him. Ricci was ridiculously skilled, but none of the organizations he went to bothered developing his skill. All these organizations wasted him because he was a "two-way" player. That's why I hope the Flyers get away from drafting two way players and just draft offensively gifted players. It's too easy for a coach to put them in that role and never bother developing the rest of their game. That's what happened with Ricci.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ricci was only a third line center because that was where the clubs used him. Ricci was ridiculously skilled, but none of the organizations he went to bothered developing his skill. All these organizations wasted him because he was a "two-way" player. That's why I hope the Flyers get away from drafting two way players and just draft offensively gifted players. It's too easy for a coach to put them in that role and never bother developing the rest of their game. That's what happened with Ricci.

He was ranked as the 1st overall pick the previous 2 years leading up to the draft. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He was ranked as the 1st overall pick the previous 2 years leading up to the draft. 

My older sister went to university in Peterborough and she said that the Petes were the hardest ticket because of Ricci. He was borderline God like there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

A mentor?  Don’t you think Danny would’ve picked someone that has been in North America for a while to do that?  Zamula would be a better choice for that.  Plus, goalies are “different”.

Well he’s an older guy who ,hopefully isn’t a big party guy to turn Michkov into a boozer.

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ricci wasn’t really a good skater and was kind of vanilla, I don’t think his skill level was better than any of the guys picked in the top five that year.

On 5/2/2024 at 9:07 AM, mojo1917 said:

In typical Flyers fashion, nothing can go the way it's supposed to...example, guys don't just get injured they get the rarest form of cancer known to western medicine.

Now the 3 year project may turn into a 1 year project. In my PJMGT class we call this "crashing the schedule".

So, should whatever need to happen for Michkov-mania to begin next season; what do people think should be done with the roster?

Do the Flyers trade for a youngish #1 C, 

Does it change the Konecny extension strategy?

Do the Flyers try to sign a FA 1C for a "few" years. Pie in the sky version of this, sign Stamkos for a short term high dollar contract.  That's unrealistic probably.

Do the Flyers try to offer-sheet a young guy who is blocked or under-appreciated, Cole Perfetti ? 

Do the Flyers try to make a move for some of the Carolina forwards who are deemed expendable since a big bill is coming due this summer.  People have mentioned Necas, or Teravainen both are older than Konecny but they are good players. I don't think Jarvis or Drury will be available but maybe some of these near 30s guys could be in play.

Any of the Tronno core guys worth kicking a tire on ? Marner or Wille? i don't think Auston is going anywhere.

Or, do the Flyers wait a season, finish in the bottom 10 draft some more top of the lineup players and make a push for the splash FA signing in 25/26?

Let Michkov develop while taking some lumps, so he gets a nice chip on his shoulder. 

Based on the salary cap strategy of just not giving a rat's ass until 2026, it almost makes sense to hold off on making a big splash this season-

Should this Michkov business be accelerated. 

I read this, then sprinted for the bourbon. I needed something to stabilize me 

:hithead:

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

I don't see a whole lot to get excited about in that Twitter post. So Medvedev won't "rule out" Michkov coming over early...great. But guaranteed no AHL time otherwise he goes back to SKA. Why would the Flyers agree to that? I understand he won't change hemispheres if riding the bus for a year is a distinct possibility. But just on GP you don't guarantee a prospect NHL ice time (yes a few exceptions).

Like everyone I hope Michkov is the Second Coming, the Flyers build around him and he's raising the Cup in the O&B in a few years. But nobody thinks he's another McDavid or Crosby. He's supposedly not a great skater. No surprise a 19-year old has stuff to work on.

I don't mean to rain on the parade - just saying I'll wait until he's actually in North America before I start celebrating Michkov's arrival.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't see a whole lot to get excited about in that Twitter post. So Medvedev won't "rule out" Michkov coming over early...great. But guaranteed no AHL time otherwise he goes back to SKA. Why would the Flyers agree to that? I understand he won't change hemispheres if riding the bus for a year is a distinct possibility. But just on GP you don't guarantee a prospect NHL ice time (yes a few exceptions).

Like everyone I hope Michkov is the Second Coming, the Flyers build around him and he's raising the Cup in the O&B in a few years. But nobody thinks he's another McDavid or Crosby. He's supposedly not a great skater. No surprise a 19-year old has stuff to work on.

I don't mean to rain on the parade - just saying I'll wait until he's actually in North America before I start celebrating Michkov's arrival.

I agree with you. I'll also add Michkov isn't the "savior". He's the most talented player the Flyers have drafted in a long, long time, but he's also a winger. Philly still needs to add a lot of elite to this team before they're going to scare anyone. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree with you. I'll also add Michkov isn't the "savior". He's the most talented player the Flyers have drafted in a long, long time, but he's also a winger. Philly still needs to add a lot of elite to this team before they're going to scare anyone. 

Yes. He's a very good prospect, and I think the arrows are pointing in the right direction, but people may need to temper their expectations a little bit. It's always a bit more difficult when you're building from the wing to the middle.

• Like 3