Michkov may be here this summer

17 hours ago, flyerdog said:

we shouldn't draft anyone named Carter or Carson...um...even though we did both!! 😄

Add Nolan to your list 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm not sure that big, fat, lump sums are an option given the whole "sanctions" thing going on. #hockeyrelated

Also, too, how does that all play into the salary cap? :hocky:

Its a negotiation between the agent and the KHL team in regards to release. No cap implications, but I'm sure the Flyers are supposed to cover the bill...being the ones that want this to happen. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This is spot on. There are still lots of holes in this lineup and there's all kinds of money issues. Play this season out, let Michkov get settled and then when the money issues are done at the end of the year, reassess everything. No need to rush through things.

Should all this Michkov noise be true...

I'm wondering if there will be momentum toward dumping salary and trying to find via trade a young centerman for him to grow with?

Or, does that happen organically via the draft next season?

There are still a few "messes" that need cleaned up on this roster. 

Does this speed up a Konecny trade or does it speed up signing an extension?

I think there was a plan based around Cutter Gauthier and  Michkov for 25/26 but now, that's blown to hell for reasons

I'm wondering what happens next?

Never a dull moment with this group that's for sure.

22 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Its a negotiation between the agent and the KHL team in regards to release. No cap implications, but I'm sure the Flyers are supposed to cover the bill...being the ones that want this to happen. 

Right, so if a wealthy organization can afford to pay off a foreign organization to get a player, they are welcome to.

If an organization can't afford that, they're S.O.L.

That, my friend, is exactly why they set the cap up.

If Arizona didn't draft him because they couldn't afford to buy out his contract, for example... (yes, there are other potential reasons, my overall point remains)

Having put that aside, now we get to the idea of a major US corporation paying a major Russian corporation a large sum of money under the current environment.

I'm not so sure that's going to be allowed to happen. We'll see. #hockeyrelated

:hocky:

• Good Post 1

SKA Head Coach: "If Michkov does not play on Philadelphia's first line, he will return to SKA." "There is no official decision yet. And we can’t say that we are letting anyone go. You see, this is a serious question. We can talk about some agreements, including rights. You know that Michkov is a high-level player. And if someone wants to buy these rights, let’s discuss." "I don’t want to reveal a commercial secret. But you understand that we invested a lot in Matvey. And if he does not become the leader of Philadelphia, then we will definitely wait for him back in the KHL. And I will emphasize that this whole story was influenced by Michkov’s family situation. We need to support him in this. This is not a hockey issue, but a family issue. And we all must support Matvey."

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

SKA Head Coach: "If Michkov does not play on Philadelphia's first line, he will return to SKA."

There is a translation problem here according to some on the thread.

Coach apparently said "first link" not "first line" - meaning Michkov plays in the NHL or back in the KHL, not in the AHL.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

Coach apparently said "first link" not "first line" - meaning Michkov plays in the NHL or back in the KHL, not in the AHL.

yeah not sure how he thinks that he can control what line he plays on. I call BS.

Now i can see them not wanting him in the AHL and i am totally cool with that i can't see him needing to play there. The Flyers can live and die with his mistakes on the ice while he transition. And i know Torts is smart enough not to give Matvei the Bobby Brink treatment if he fugs up out there. Brink and the franchise star are on 2 different levels.

Comcast has deep enough pockets to get him and his family over here because from what i have been reading he wants his family out and coming to the US too.

A regular joe schmo might be screwed but MM will get whatever he wants.

Just get the kid and his family out and over here asap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i know Torts is smart enough not to give Matvei the Bobby Brink treatment if he fugs up out there.

Huh?!? Torts is Torts.

Its why he shouldn't be coaching a team if its rebuilding. 

BIG IF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

That could be. I've also seen translations from European hockey where "first chain" or "first link" definitely means "first line".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That could be. I've also seen translations from European hockey where "first chain" or "first link" definitely means "first line".

Sure. Just wanted to add context from the discussion on Twixxer.

A not unrelated question is: "is Torts the right guy for this player?"

We'll see...

• Like 2

Fk Rotenberg what did he ever invest in Michkov? He ostracized him on SKA rarely playing him then sent him to Sochi. Rotenberg didn't even pick him for the Russian U25 team. Now he tries to come off like he's got this wonderful, fatherly relationship with Michkov. Obviously the Russian oligarch billionaire is angling for his pound of flesh. Fine, Comcast can afford to pay him. Hopefully that's the last we hear of Roman Rotenberg.

https://fanrecap.com/305_top-prospect-matvei-michkov-ditches-khl-for-flyers-in-historic-move/

The relationship between Michkov and SKA’s head coach, who is also the president of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, Roman Rotenberg, appears strained. Michkov has frequently been sidelined or given limited playtime under Rotenberg’s direction, notably missing out on a spot in the Russian national U25 team—a decision made by Rotenberg that raised eyebrows, especially since Egor Zavragin, another young Flyers prospect without KHL experience, was selected.

23 minutes ago, ctid said:

I got my wife to read it, she's Ukrainian....although, she was like "why are you supporting a Russian player???" So now I have to try to come up with arguments...

He's a Russian who wants to get out. There's your argument. 

Michkov isn't Putin...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, radoran said:

A not unrelated question is: "is Torts the right guy for this player?"

I hope so.

It doesn't feel to me like Torts is going anywhere anytime soon.

The kid has some leverage, but he can't be made the Defacto GM until he's won some championships,  right?

Also, Torts did coach Panarin.

Panarin did leave for NYR but I think that was inevitable. 

It could be that Torts can get to Michkov in a way that benefits the player and the team.

Some guys say they really benefited from Tortorella's coaching. True story.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this * gestures broadly * play out.

It's fascinating. 

Edited by mojo1917
Added the bit about Torts and Panarin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing all this * gestures broadly * play out.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the first shoe to drop - like Comcast is given the green light to give (millions of?) dollars to a Russian company.

The whole Torts question pales in comparison.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i know Torts is smart enough not to give Matvei the Bobby Brink treatment if he fugs up out there.

Supposedly Rotenberg will negotiate to keep Michkov's rights thru 2026, which means Michkov will have some leverage in Philly. He may not necessarily want to go back, but Michkov could return to play in Russia, knowing he's got a KHL paycheck waiting for him. Hard to see him wanting to deal with Rotenberg again but Tortorella will have to consider this. Michkov is the star, the Flyers took a gamble drafting him... Tortorella can't jerk him around too much...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Its a negotiation between the agent and the KHL team in regards to release.

Everyone we are going to have to chip in this could break Comcast...

@radoran is setting up a go fund me page for Matvei!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

I say we just go rummage around @OccamsRazor's couch.

Good luck with that the wife claims all things found there....uh except crumbs...

...so it feels like this is legit and is actually going down since Rotenberg had every opportunity to deny it which he hasn't done...so more of when not if it seems...

• Like 3

Man i can't wait till i see the press conference with him standing by Danny.

Till then i can't enjoy this because i feel like they are going to fool us.

...i hope we get more info quick.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Till then i can't enjoy this because i feel like they are going to fool us.

I'm with you. I'll believe it when I see it until then it's all just talk.

• Like 3