2 Player Buyout

Guest activestick

Pronger depends on the LTIR application. I could also see the team just giving him the cash to retire and stop worrying

I find it hard to imagine that the NHLPA agreed to a buyout of players on LTIR so, barring any unusual provision providing cap relief for this type of thing, we are probably still stuck with his contract and the off season juggling that goes with it.

I find it hard to imagine that the NHLPA agreed to a buyout of players on LTIR so, barring any unusual provision providing cap relief for this type of thing, we are probably still stuck with his contract and the off season juggling that goes with it.

According to the article in. The NY Times, there is indeed a two player buyout. I would say Pronger is gone and maybe Bryz.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/sports/hockey/nhl-players-union-lockout-agreement.html#http://json8.nytimes.com/pages/sports/index.jsonp

Edited by JackStraw

I wonder, I just wonder if Nashville would be allowed to cut Webers contract? They would be able to save face by saying that they can't afford him due to the shortened season in a small market.

If they did that they would lose the fan base they have. The fans would than ask, WHY didn't you take some package from the flyers when offered if you were just going to do that

According to the article in. The NY Times, there is indeed a two player buyout. I would say Pronger is gone and maybe Bryz.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/sports/hockey/nhl-players-union-lockout-agreement.html#http://json8.nytimes.com/pages/sports/index.jsonp

The article mentions the buyout provision but none of the details. I'll still be very surprised if teams can buy out LTIR players at less than face value.

Edited by terp

If they did that they would lose the fan base they have. The fans would than ask, WHY didn't you tale some package from the flyers when offered if you were just going to do that

Nashville *could* buyout Weber, but then they will have paid, effectively, $27M for one shortened season with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Also, there is another, guaranteed, $42M in signing bonuses. Meaning $69M for one shortened season.

There is no way they can legitimately say they are cutting Weber because they can't afford it, and then hand him $69M.

The article mentions the buyout provision but none of the details. I'll still be very surprised if teams can buy out LTIR players at less than face value.

Does that matter to anyone other than Comcast? And LTIR doesn't actually apply until the season starts, so why couldn't they buy him out before that?

Edited by JackStraw

Does that matter to anyone other than Comcast? And LTIR doesn't actually apply until the season starts, so why couldn't they buy him out before that?

I agree that if they can buy Pronger out at 100% of his contract, the only people who care are Comcast and Pronger's tax guy.

And maybe me because I'm interested in how they structure it to cull out the guys who deserve 100%. You raise an interesting point in my mind because I feel pretty sure the NHLPA isn't going to burn guys who have valid contracts as well as hockey injuries that may have ended their careers. It would be grossly unfair to expose those guys to buyouts at less than the value of the contracts. There are probably not a lot of guys like that, but i really doubt the union left these guys exposed. The solution isn't immediately obvious to me so it will be interesting to see how it got handled.

BTW, i'm not worried about Pronger; he's set for life several times over. The vulnerable guys are obviously the journeymen whose current contracts represent what little money they'll make playing hockey.

@radoran

You raise an interesting point...are signing/deferred bonuses subject to the buyout percentage rules? I honestly don't know. I'm not talking at it pertains to Weber--that ship as sailed--but more in general terms. I would guess there aren't a lot of players in Weber's situation regarding bonuses.

Briere is a big cap hit and you have to consider his salary/productivity ratio.

I posted this on another thread: Briers next two years of salary are 3M and 2M respectively. The cap hit hurts, but from a salary perspective, it is a bargain for what he brings. Briere will finish his contract in Philly (and perhaps even be resigned). I wanted Drury in the Briere / Gomez / Drury sweepstakes, but it turns out that not only was Briere the bargain of the three, but also the one that delivered the most both on and off the ice.

• Like 1

There's an advantage of this for your squad... if the buyouts aren't available until the next full season, you get half a season for your management to see if Bryzgalov will turn things around or not before giving him the axe. The reason I say this is an advantage is if they had to do it right now, today... they would axe Pronger and you guys would still have Bryz. They're just not going to admit they screwed up after one season with average numbers. Every excuse in the book came up at the end of last season, why would that change now? So after the shortened season if he is still as he's been, they buy him out and you're all happy. If he's what they hoped he would be, you're all happy. Either way you're all happy AFTER the shortened season.

Well remember Bryzgalov wanted to be paid like a top-tier goalie and he did. Now he has a half season to prove himself otherwise he'll be gone. Snider will buyout Pronger so he gets his money and he can retire the proper way on his terms. It's going to be interesting to see how many players get bought out.

Is the buyout really legal? The players signed a contract in good faith. They can just have that torn in two? See ya Later? Don't get me wrong, if a guy isn't playing up to par and he's got a ridiculous contract then being able to cut him is an absolute gift. But aren't the people who signed him supposed to be held accountable for a ridiculous contract?

Is the buyout really legal? The players signed a contract in good faith. They can just have that torn in two? See ya Later? Don't get me wrong, if a guy isn't playing up to par and he's got a ridiculous contract then being able to cut him is an absolute gift. But aren't the people who signed him supposed to be held accountable for a ridiculous contract?

The CBA is what decides what is legal and what isn't. If it's in the CBA then it's legal. Without a CBA almost none of what the league does (the draft, salary cap, limits on contract lengths) would be legal.

• Like 1

Snider will buyout Pronger so he gets his money and he can retire the proper way on his terms.

I actually think that is highly unlikely. Pronger gets his money from disability insurance. His salary does not effect the Flyers bottom line what-so-ever. The impact is the cap space before the season and contract number (ie. he takes up a contract slot). To buy him out would suggest that he can still play. Nobody has a crystal ball, but it is highly unlikely he can.

@Vanflyer Do we know for sure the new CBA allows you to exceed the cap by 10% during the summer months like the last one did? If not, the Flyers could not upgrade with a UFA with his allotted money, so that would suck. Hope they kept it the same, don't know why they wouldn't.