How long does Laviolette have?

Digityman

This has come up a few times in the past week.

Some have been saying that Lavy is on a short leash this season, even going as far as saying if they Flyers don't turn it around over the next 5 games he's gone.

Others have said it's not his fault that he has a 3rd & 4th line that has ONE nhl regular skating on it.

Still others have argued that it's his fault the team comes out consistently flat for the first 10 minutes of a game.

What say you?

I think with the current make up of this roster (built for speed) any other coach would have a real difficult time adjusting the system. Lavy wasn't exactly handed a competitive team (from a defensive standpoint).

With that in mind, I think no matter how the chips fall, Bryz will be bought out at the end of the season.

All depends on Snider's mindset. It could take a team 20 games to gel in a full season but this year we do not have that luxury. If Snider is willing to let the chips fall wherever they may this season, I agree w/Bert that Bryz will be bought out regardless and Kimmo's contract expires. That should free up some cap space to retool the D and find a more consistent goalie.

If Snider is impatient, Lavi will probably be gone sooner than later.

Contrary to what many believe, I think Lavy is safe this year.....HOWEVER......

that DOES NOT excuse why this team comes out flat EVERY game...that crap has got to end. It is the responsibility of the coach to make sure his team is ready to play when they hit the ice for the opening face-off.

Now a much more legitimate questions is Lav's system appropiate for the current players assembled on this team..starting with the goalie???

One last note...who is out there coach wise???? Bring up Murray from the AHL as some has suggested????

Edited by pilldoc

of course Lavy has to accept some of the blame to this point... but, i certainly don't know how you start thinking about firing the coach 3 games into a lockout F'd up season. there's far too many reasons we're in this hole and a great many of them have to deal with the personel we're putting out there, which has very little to do with Lavy.

• Like 1

I think Lavy is here this year and next at the least. For some reason I feel like Homer and Snider are committed to Lavy... Homer needs to look in the mirror for this season if it continues. Homer is the man who brings in the talent... Bryz has not been terrible but this defense is friggin' terrible... some say this defense is "servicable" but I just dont see it...

homer tried to upgrade the defense and was unsuccessful.

he swung big and missed, leaving us with foster and gervais instead of carle and suter/weber.

I think Lavy gets this year and a super short leash with an upgraded defense next year. i expect the roster to be significantly different next year.

I agree w/Bert that Bryz will be bought out regardless and Kimmo's contract expires. That should free up some cap space to retool the D and find a more consistent goalie.

So who is the replacement goalie? I just don't understand the buyout talk if we have no one better to replace him.

There are two options in goal: you either trade for a top level goalie, which will cost you some excellent roster players and prospects; or, you sign one via free agency, which will also cost you a lot of money. Drafting is a third option - which, like defensemen, should be part of our plan anyway - but doesn't help for the next 4-5 years.

The UFA route has exactly 2 goaltenders that I would consider potentially better than Bryz: Backstrom and Thomas. Timmy is 38 going on 39... is he still better at that age, and after a full year off, and already having his Cup ring? Not sure he is, but teams will be competing for his services for sure, driving up the price for the blue unicorn.

Backstrom may or may not be a product of the Minnesota system. His numbers are no better than Bryz except for his one sensational season SEVEN years ago.

Both, IMO, represent exactly the type of short-sighted panic move the Flyers are prone to make.

Which is why if they trade for a young, up and coming prospect, there's no need to buyout Bryz AT LEAST until 2 years from now, when you re-evaluate where you're at. He is an insurance policy. It doesn't hurt to have him backing up our new version of Bobrovsky.

ANd we will pay to get such a prospect. Coots or Schenn, certainly, plus more.

For better or worse, what we have in Bryzgalov is better than anything coming up in free agency.

So who is the replacement goalie? I just don't understand the buyout talk if we have no one better to replace him.

That's easy - you get the ultimate goalie. Not a humungous sense of humour or anything, but you can't have it all:

ultimate-goalie-review2.jpg

• Like 2

@brelic

"So who is the replacement goalie? I just don't understand the buyout talk if we have no one better to replace him."

Why pay one 5mm+ to be average?

The Flyers are going to have to upgrade their D at some point and think about locking Giroux up long time.

But I do see your point on who the replacement is going to be and how much they would cost.

It's definitely a tough spot for Holmgren to be in.

Re Bryz, I'd rather pay a goalie the same for a year or two, instead of a lifetime of Bryz. Try the Backstrom experiment, or see if the KHL has some talent.

But you can do the same with Bryz. Pay him for a year or two, and then at the end of year two, you can buy him out at no penalty to the team. I don't see what buying out Bryz and getting Backstrom would really accomplish. Their numbers are very similar, with Bryz having the edge in recent years.

But you can do the same with Bryz. Pay him for a year or two, and then at the end of year two, you can buy him out at no penalty to the team. I don't see what buying out Bryz and getting Backstrom would really accomplish. Their numbers are very similar, with Bryz having the edge in recent years.

Not quite. The penalty free buyout extends through summer 2013 only I believe. We're stuck with Bryz or a ten year buyout penalty otherwise.

Backstrom on a two year deal is much more reasonable in my opinion, if he can stay healthy.

Not quite. The penalty free buyout extends through summer 2013 only I believe. We're stuck with Bryz or a ten year buyout penalty otherwise.

Backstrom on a two year deal is much more reasonable in my opinion, if he can stay healthy.

Actually, the amnesty buyouts are for the following two offseasons. So, at the end of this season (2013) and at the end of 2013-2014. I posted the link to the information in another thread earlier this week.

That means we really have 2 seasons to make up our minds about Bryz without penalty.

Actually, the amnesty buyouts are for the following two offseasons. So, at the end of this season (2013) and at the end of 2013-2014. I posted the link to the information in another thread earlier this week.

That means we really have 2 seasons to make up our minds about Bryz without penalty.

I must have missed that - and it changes everything. Might as well keep Bryz the extra season. Screw Backstrom.

I must have missed that - and it changes everything. Might as well keep Bryz the extra season. Screw Backstrom.

Hahaha. You know, if this were 5 years ago, I'd be all in for Backstrom. But he's older than Bryz and not (statistically) better. And this is from playing in a defensive system in Minnesota!!

Hahaha. You know, if this were 5 years ago, I'd be all in for Backstrom. But he's older than Bryz and not (statistically) better. And this is from playing in a defensive system in Minnesota!!

Maybe the 'Yotes had a better system? Bryz is really fundamentally awful. For some reason, I feel like Minn allowed fewer SOG, which will significantly impact related stats.

Yes, exactly. Same with Phoenix, they plugged in another goalie (Smith) and kept on chooglin.' We need to look at golies that come from teams similar to ours in terms of strategy and systems, not ones that come from teams with strong defensive philosophies that protect their goal.

How about - who is the best goalie at shoot-outs? Who does reasonably well with odd-man rushes and have teams that aren't there to backcheck?

Edited by jackhole

Honestly, anyone that thinks they won't cut Lavi loose this season unless things turn around hasn't been watching the way this team's "braintrust" works.

Immediate gratification isn't quick enough.

I get what you are saying and agree with the 'braintrust' assessment but even a blind man can see Lavy has so little to work with. Then on top of that a short season.

Again, I know we can list off 5 panic moves in the past 5 years but getting rid of Lavy would top them all.