Any computer gurus?

Guest sekkes85

So I built a new computer about 6 months ago, it was working fine. The fan on the CPU was really loud and I wanted to upgrade my graphics card as the other was from my old computer.

I installed the new fan and the new card, and am no longer getting any video input to my monitor. I have determined it's not a power issue but my new card's fan will not even turn on. I kept it on for about 10 minutes and then turned it off. The card did get warmer so something is going on there. I put the old card back in to see if it was DoA and the old card will no longer work either. I've been working on possible solutions for about 4 hours now and am fed up with the damn thing.

Any ideas out there?

So I built a new computer about 6 months ago, it was working fine. The fan on the CPU was really loud and I wanted to upgrade my graphics card as the other was from my old computer.

I installed the new fan and the new card, and am no longer getting any video input to my monitor. I have determined it's not a power issue but my new card's fan will not even turn on. I kept it on for about 10 minutes and then turned it off. The card did get warmer so something is going on there. I put the old card back in to see if it was DoA and the old card will no longer work either. I've been working on possible solutions for about 4 hours now and am fed up with the damn thing.

Any ideas out there?

1) When you boot up are you able to see bios at all??

2) Have you tested the new card where you purchased it (or on another machine)?

3) What kind of video card is it and what kind of mother board are you using? What kind of monitor are you using?

4) Some monitors have a corrupt EDID (external display identification device from some nVidia cards.

Using the same cables the same PCI Express slot (even tried a different slot to see if that one somehow went faulty). I determined it's not a power issue because my old card requires more juice and has a light to indicate if it is getting enough power, all systems were a go.

I purchased the card on newegg.com, I'm hopefully going to my buddies tomorrow to brew some beer and will try swapping it on his machine to make sure it's not DoA.

Here is my system;

Motherboard: Gigabye GA-990FXA-UD3 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=667675

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6ghz (which apparently I bought the warranty for? woohoo!) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960

CPU fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214024

Memory: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6688692

Graphics: HIS IceQ Radeon 7850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161405

- Old card was a GeForce GTX280

PSU: Coolermaster 750W

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T220

I purchased the card on newegg.com, I'm hopefully going to my buddies tomorrow to brew some beer and will try swapping it on his machine to make sure it's not DoA.

A couple of questions:

1) Did you uninstall all the old drivers from your old graphics card?

2) Did you look at your bios to make sure that it will detect the video card (sounds silly- but you never know).

Also, 750w for your PSU- while strong enough, is a bit unnecessary (650W would have more than done the job).

OK, this looks like the right thread to post this problem, although I'm about to give away just how computer stupid I really am. I can't get the spell check to work on this site, it's not my Mozzilla firefox, cause it works on other sites.....but not on this one. For the sake of people that are exposed to my posts, somebody help....LOL! Right now, I take words I don't know how to spell correctly (or think they may be wrong etc) and type them out in the google box up top, then get the correct spelling and change my post, this method sucks, esp when you spell as brutally as I do.

I did not delete the drivers before I switched (saw I should have done that after the fact). Would that completely crap out the new card though? Also when putting the old back in it still wasn't working.

I tried taking the battery thing out of my motherboard to reset my bios to see if that would help too but also nothing. I also tried to hook my tv directly into the computer using an HDMI cable instead of the other cable I was using to rule out the cable. (That sucked testing, stupid heavy tv)

I'm out of ideas and have pretty much come to the conclusion that something is fried.

I did not delete the drivers before I switched (saw I should have done that after the fact). Would that completely crap out the new card though? Also when putting the old back in it still wasn't working.

I tried taking the battery thing out of my motherboard to reset my bios to see if that would help too but also nothing. I also tried to hook my tv directly into the computer using an HDMI cable instead of the other cable I was using to rule out the cable. (That sucked testing, stupid heavy tv)

I'm out of ideas and have pretty much come to the conclusion that something is fried.

The old drivers can prevent the new drivers from loading, especially with switching manufacturers. The card should still POST though so you should see the computer start up on screen. If you're not getting that, it's either a fried card or you're identifying the wrong input source for the monitor. I've run into similar monitor issues. You're saying you're using the same input source so with no post I'd assume your video card is bad. My concern is the old one not working either, which could mean you damaged the main board. The old card should show POST information as well, and that it's not is worrisome.

• Like 1

Greetings:

While $49 isn't cheap, I will say that the diagnostics at my neighborhood Office Depot are cool...and done in about a minute. If nothing else, they will tell you if it is hardware or software, that isn't a bad place to start. I suspect that if you built the machine, warranty is not an issue, so the next question is who repairs it; you won't be shipping back somewhere.

Good luck!

Howie

You tried switching the display ports I'm sure...

the fact that your 280 won't POST is troubling...esp since you said you didn't uninstall the old drivers.

In my experience trouble like this is almost always PSU-related. If a new part prevents POST and replacing it with the old part doesn't solve it...and you've ruled out any software issues (drivers) then it's a power issue almost certainly. (Barring any obvious connection problems - bad cable, loose 24-pin power connection, etc.)

I don't remember an "idiot" light on the 280...but even if you're getting that (it's lighting up) I wouldn't trust it - it doesn't necessarily mean the card is getting "enough power." At least I doubt it, though like I say I don't remember my 280 having a light like that.

If you have a multimeter and feel like checking the PSU that's where I would start. Better yet if you have another PSU laying around try that.

In any case, same PSU or a different one, here's how I'd proceed.

First disconnect everything you don't need for POST - all peripherals, printers, scanners, HDDs, optical drives, etc. You're not trying to boot into Windows so disconnect everything but your GPU.

Reset the BIOS back to "Optimized Defaults" or whatever Gigabyte calls it. See if it'll POST with the old card.

sounds like you'll have your answer tomorrow about the new card - that should help diagnose the trouble if you can rule out a bad GPU.

sorry I can't be more helpful...hopefully it turns out something stupid was going on - the 24-pin cable was just a wee bit loose...your PCIe cable wasn't making good contact on the GPU(s)... but I'd suspect that PSU once all that stuff is ruled out. PSUs are notorious for crapping out at the worst possible times...times like you're going thru right now.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes!

damn - so okay, the new card works...

any chance you can borrow his PSU for a day? Even if it's a 350W no-name...you won't need much juice to see whether your mainboard is fried.

did you take the usual precautions about grounding yourself before you started tinkering inside your case? I assume you did since you built the system... and you pulled the power plug before you swapped cards right? And after pulling the plug you gave it a few minutes for the voltage to dissipate before you pulled your 280?

All I can think of - before we have to think of the unthinkable (!) - is this: Go over your connections again - all of them. Pull them one by one then reseat them. Maybe there was a loose one in there somewhere...hopefully...

Edited by canoli

The fan on the CPU was really loud and I wanted to upgrade my graphics card as the other was from my old computer.

I installed the new fan and the new card, and am no longer getting any video input to my monitor.

wait a minute... sorry I didn't read this better the first time. So you replaced your CPU fan as well? You mean the whole cooler?

If that's the case then it's time to pull that apart again, make sure your CPU is seated correctly, etc.

A faulty HSF installation explains everything...