Flyers acquire rights to Streit

Is anyone really surprised his teammates aren't fond of him? I can't stand him (I know, you're all surprised by that) and I don't have to play with him.

Ya, we have defence problems, so lets spend whatever capspace we have on defencemen who can't play D. Those guys always work out in the playoffs.

No, not surprised, but when these things get out in the media, it's rarely by accident. It's by design.

Agree with this.

Sure, but what would you rather have?

Timo/Schenn

Streit/Grossman

Gus/Coburn

- 4th round pick

OR

Timo/Schenn

Yandle/Grossman

Gus/Coburn

- Coots

- 1st rd pick

- Cousins or Laughton or someone similar

??

And you can't say neither!! ;) Homer was definitely going to do something about defense involving impatience, that's a given.

Timo/Schenn

Streit/Grossman

Gus/Coburn

- 4th round pick

OR

Timo/Schenn

Yandle/Grossman

Gus/Coburn

- Coots

- 1st rd pick

- Cousins or Laughton or someone similar

??

And you can't say neither!! ;) Homer was definitely going to do something about defense involving impatience, that's a given.

Can you pick a different gm?

what i'm not really understanding is what hole would streit plug? yes, he'd add firepower to the blueline, but he also brings defensive problems to the blueline. I don't know what problem is being solved there. getting the puck up ice helps defensively, of course, but...losing track of your check in front of the net hurts defensively...seems to me like a wash.

he's a good player, I don't hate this by any means, but it seems me like people are looking for a "#1 dman" of any description at all, just to say there is one on the team. a one way guy with defensive shortcomings...I just don't see the night and day this will bring about. timonen is getting older, but then so is streit. if timonen retires after his current deal...streit himself will be 37 the following season. not really passing the torch for long, is it?

I dunno. I fear the contract that will come with this, and don't see a corresponding upside. upside, yes, but not enough.

then again, maybe teams will be a little more gunshy about big deals with the cap dropping and all and the market will retract a bit. of course, we won't know that until july 5, and Holmgren likely doesn't let streit get to that point, so he'll be paying off of last summer's market prices.

Aziz, your insite is alaways well....in sightful....

You answered your own question. He brings fire power to the blue line and leadership. End all be all???? No. I use the plug a hole idea littery. If your ship is sinking then you plug the hole with anything. The alternative is to say" Geez, we are taking on water but if the ship was buily better we wouldnt be is this shape."

And then the next idea" Geez, I really want a solid fix on the hole but I'd rather take on water and sink than take a small fix now".

Let Streit be Sreit and l lets see how the d developes....

• Like 1

If those are my two choices and I can't say neither, then definitely Yandle over Streit. Yandle already has more playoff experience, both shoot left, size is about the same, Yandle has the advantage on age and because of that has a much greater upside. Yandle is only 26 and he's played in 413 NHL games compared to Streit who is 36 and has played in only 78 more games - about a singel season's more. Granted MS has played a considerable number of games in Europe over his career, but the game just isn't the same. Playing for the Islanders hasn't helped MS's +/-, but his -53 compared to KY's +21, also is telling. And Yandle appears durable - in every season before this, he played the full 82 games - three seasons in a row, going back to 2009-10. He played in every game this season too. To MS's credit, he also appears durable - but you have to wonder how much longer that's going to last.

Yandle all the way!

• Like 1

Streit may work out for a couple of years but this type of move encompasses the entire philosophy of the Flyers. They do not have the patience to build a team from within. After the terrible season of 06-7 the Flyers brass said they would rebuild the team through youth from within.(after splashing out a few massive contracts on FA's of course). Seven years going, besides a handful of solid young forwards, we are right back where we started.

Homer is nothing more than a bandaid GM searching for vintage while drinking the swill. I don't need to list his moves over the last few years......

• Like 1

If those are my two choices and I can't say neither, then definitely Yandle over Streit. Yandle already has more playoff experience, both shoot left, size is about the same, Yandle has the advantage on age and because of that has a much greater upside. Yandle is only 26 and he's played in 413 NHL games compared to Streit who is 36 and has played in only 78 more games - about a singel season's more. Granted MS has played a considerable number of games in Europe over his career, but the game just isn't the same. Playing for the Islanders hasn't helped MS's +/-, but his -53 compared to KY's +21, also is telling. And Yandle appears durable - in every season before this, he played the full 82 games - three seasons in a row, going back to 2009-10. He played in every game this season too. To MS's credit, he also appears durable - but you have to wonder how much longer that's going to last.

Yandle all the way!

Well, taken in isolation, I prefer Yandle too. But not for the cost! Yandle, at least to me, is not worth the cost of Couturier +. He's not even worth the cost of Couturier by himself. We would be getting ripped off.

So, a 4th rounder for (the rights to) Streit is much saner than Coots + for Yandle.

Of course, there are rumours that Homer's STILL after Yandle even with Streit. So.... I guess I'll have what he's having because I'd rather not remember it!

• Like 1

Of course, there are rumours that Homer's STILL after Yandle even with Streit

Something to read and make your head explode...enjoy!

http://www.lighthous...2-the-defensive

oh and this....

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/6/12/steering-advanced-regression-tools-to-modern-hockey-problems

Edited by OccamsRazor

Did Streit not stay with the Isles because of money/term or because it's the freaking Islanders?

Offering a three year deal with a competitive "contender" might be more attractive.

Spitballing here...

Gotta say... "Competitive contender"? The Isles made the playoffs and the Flyers didn't. If Streit had a beef with the Isles organization I could see that making a difference, but right this minute you can't say the Flyers are the better team.

If the Isles offered $15.5 over three and he said no, unless there was a falling out, the Flyers will pay more for longer.

Gotta say... "Competitive contender"? The Isles made the playoffs and the Flyers didn't. If Streit had a beef with the Isles organization I could see that making a difference, but right this minute you can't say the Flyers are the better team.

If the Isles offered $15.5 over three and he said no, unless there was a falling out, the Flyers will pay more for longer.

Consistent contender would be the way to say it. You are spot on about last year they were 6 points better and made the playoffs. The isles had not made the playoffs in 6 years haven't won a series in 20. You got to ask yourself at age 37 who gives you the better chance? If I'm striet my agent is entertaining offers from some other teams before I sign with philly.

The Isles made the playoffs and the Flyers didn't. If Streit had a beef with the Isles organization I could see that making a difference, but right this minute you can't say the Flyers are the better team.

you have to know things aren't that black and white, right? like, when a guy is looking at where he wants to go for the next 3 years/rest of his career, the results from a weirdo half season that saw the entire flyers' blueline out of the lineup at one point or another and a cray cray goalie who will absolutely not be around more than another year is probably not the single determining factor. if nothing else, the fact that flyers will spend $16mil more than the isles on their roster each season says the flyers have the better shot of getting him further along.

then again, he didn't ask for his rights to be traded to philly. he may only be willing to sign with teams who are likely to win a cup in the next few years. which means boston, Chicago, LA. and. well, really, that's it.

you have to know things aren't that black and white, right? like, when a guy is looking at where he wants to go for the next 3 years/rest of his career, the results from a weirdo half season that saw the entire flyers' blueline out of the lineup at one point or another and a cray cray goalie who will absolutely not be around more than another year is probably not the single determining factor. if nothing else, the fact that flyers will spend $16mil more than the isles on their roster each season says the flyers have the better shot of getting him further along.

then again, he didn't ask for his rights to be traded to philly. he may only be willing to sign with teams who are likely to win a cup in the next few years. which means boston, Chicago, LA. and. well, really, that's it.

You forgot the Pens they are the favorite to win it next year no?

They are that black and white in contracts though. I agree if it were a clear contender team the money may mean less, but the Flyers aren't a shoe-in any more than the Isles are. The Isles seem on their way up. The Flyers went the other direction this year. You can call the season whatever you want, but the facts are that they were in the bottom half if the conference, and the Isles weren't. I just don't think Streit is going to say "oh it's the Flyers? I'll take less money to play there!"

Ok , so the isles made the playoffs last year. Its about time. If you really look who's almost always in the playoffs, spend the max trying to win the cup every year. Clearly you want to sign with that team. Streit was one of the reasons they made the playoffs and almost beat the pens. Now he might be ours. We're both very young teams and have a bright future. My money's on the Flyers.

They are that black and white in contracts though.

why do things become different? guy says to himself, "hmm, i'm probably going to end my career after my next contract. there are two teams, one who I know won't spend the money to build itself into the upper echelon of the league, and one that will spend everything it can to at least try. the cheap team did better than the money spending one last season, but...history and common sense say there is no reason to think that will continue to be the case for the next 3 years."

I agree if it were a clear contender team the money may mean less, but the Flyers aren't a shoe-in any more than the Isles are.

there are no shoe-ins anywhere. a betting man puts the flyers in more playoff series over the next 3-4 years than the isles. again, if only due to willingness to spend. a team that insists on hovering at the cap floor is highly unlikely to ever really do anything. a team that insists on spending to (and above) the cap ceiling at least has a chance.

You can call the season whatever you want, but the facts are that they were in the bottom half if the conference, and the Isles weren't

players can and do use common sense when looking at these things. the extenuating factors last season will absolutely enter in. i'm not saying the flyers are super badass, just that players are not weird robots who are only able to consider a single season's standings, and are incapable of looking at context.

I just don't think Streit is going to say "oh it's the Flyers? I'll take less money to play there!"

no, but I can see him taking the same.

@Polaris922

I'll bet you the flyers have more points than the isles this year. Loser has to stay off the message board until the start of the following season...

Now this can be a very intereting bet and fun!!! Can we get this bet signed in blood and notarized? :ph34r:

They are that black and white in contracts though. I agree if it were a clear contender team the money may mean less, but the Flyers aren't a shoe-in any more than the Isles are. The Isles seem on their way up. The Flyers went the other direction this year. You can call the season whatever you want, but the facts are that they were in the bottom half if the conference, and the Isles weren't. I just don't think Streit is going to say "oh it's the Flyers? I'll take less money to play there!"

You smug prick. Your team has been bad for a decade at a time leading up to drafting generational talents to save the franchise, TWICE. Now that you've reaped those benefits you soil the Flyers because they missed the playoffs for a second time in around twenty years? Seriously? Over a bs half not-even-a-real-season to boot? I can't wait until your team sinks back down into the scum layer of the league to languish once again. One bad half a season and the Flyers are a bad team, unbelievable. And with the excuses you offer for Pens with a bad period of time. Unbelievable.

Note, those time spans are estimates, I didn't look them up, nor guarantee them.

Things are black and white in contracts, but not always in the decision process that leads to signing a contract. Streit has already been quoted (I posted the quote in this thread) hinting that money is the most important consideration and that he thinks highly of the Flyers organization and the talent on the team. My guess is that before the start of next season, when the predictions start coming out, pretty much everyone will have the Flyers ranked higher than the Islanders.

Howdy:

Some of these exchanges are a bit like the BS on Philly.com. That may be a "good" thing given the passion some have for the team. Some may reflect a genuine feeling this trade borders on desperation. Really. If this guy gets more than 4.5 mil a year either Homer has lost it or the command staff smells no Mes + Kimmo Decline + "Other" that mean a pseudo AHL D. It is just sad. I would rather have a lousy year and get some good drafts than pay through the nose for this dude.

Best,

Howie

• Like 3

@aziz

@doom88

@JackStraw

Jack got my point more than anyone it seems. I'm not saying the Flyers are a worse team than the Islanders. I'm saying they're not big favorites to win it all. They've had a much better record than the Isles, sure, but they're not light years ahead on the odds like say... The Blackhawks will be going into next season. The money is what seems important to Streit. My biggest point was that the Flyers aren't considered the contender that Chicago or Boston would be. Streit isn't going to look at the Flyers and say "Hey this is the favorite to win the Cup, so I'll take less pay to play there".

@doom88 I'm surprised at the low brow insult. If you paid attention, you'd note I've left the Pens off that list as well. I really think Streit wants the big paycheck, unless he's pretty much guaranteed a shot at the Cup. I don't think the Flyers are that guarantee right now, so I don't see him saying he'd take less than the Isles offered just to wear the black and orange. Nor would he for black and gold. His interest seems to be money.

@pensuck

As usual you try to inject your venom into my words. A full season can see anything happen. I'm not going to bet my enjoyment of talking about hockey in Tavares not getting hurt or Giroux finding his touch again. But if you want to go to the point at hand, make the bet about Streit's contract. If Streit gets less than $15.5 for three years to play in Philly you win. If he gets more than the Islanders' offer I win.

• Like 1