Interesting read on Read.

DAXflyer

Basically the article throws around way too many numbers for me to scrutinize this early in the morning, but it proposes we will have plenty of money for Read next year.

It's a more complex situation with Pronger, because they don't "get" $4.9M in cap space tacked onto their total.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

They would need to be doing some shifting shenanigans (sending guys down to the A for a day - hopefully exempt players...)

They have a 10% exemption in the off-season which can cover having Pronger's salary on the books (but can restrict other moves and other salaries (two-ways based on number of NHL games played, for example) but as I read it they have to be compliant on Day 1 of the regular season - including Pronger - and then they can put Pronger in LTIR and recall players.

That said, a $69.3M cap should give them the room to re-sign Read.

Posted in the shoutbox earlier, that based on Capgeek...and ASSUMING a cap of $70 million for 2014-15, Flyers have almost 17 million in cap space.

True, but they are going to need to sign: a #1 D (Timonen), 2 goalies (Emery/Mason) and at least re-sign RFAs Schenn and Gussttaaaffssoonn. That doesn't account for a 7th D or a 13th F or the $1.1M for Jody Shelley.

Assume $6M for a D, let's get a bargain of $3M at goalie, Schenn at... $3? There's $12M right there plus $4.5M for Read. And the $17M is eaten up right quick.

Again, certainly possible.

Lots of numbers and assumptions but if we all see the value of Read, I'm sure Homer does too.

IMO Read will be signed for 10m for 3 years (3.3m) or traded by next years trade deadline (depending on the standings).

The real question is, will Homer give him a NMC?

I've said it many times, in general, Read makes the Flyers a tougher team to play against. I put a lot of value in that. He goes really hard after loose pucks, backchecks like a demon, creates odd man rushs with his speed, has a nice accurate shot that does not miss the net much, lot's to like there.

When I'm just glancing at the tv and see an orange blur and I say "who the hell was that" cause his speed just stands out in a crowd....it's usually Read.

The one thing our young blogger didn't really factor in is break out years from Read and Gus. I think Read has a 30/30 season coming up, assuming his linemates are respectable. As long as Gus is not the 7th d man or in the press box (which I doubt), I'm expecting a 40 pt season from him, which will give him a bigger raise than was accounted for in the article. All subjective of course, but considering the skill level of the players involved, those are reachable goals. In that scenario, Read gets upwards of 5 mill and Gus would get over 3 mill, which would mess up his totals a bit.

There is always creative ways to keep young up and comers with upside, so I agree with the premise of the artilce, where there is a will, there is a way. These kids are worth keeping and I believe it will get done, somehow, someway. I was really excited to see Gus's game evolve last season. Many times he showed really nice vision, and skated the puck out of trouble instead of panicking and turning it over with an ill advised pass. That's a skill the Flyers are short on, I see big things for that kid, if all the stars align and he improves at the rate I think he will, our long lost #1 d man could even be on our present roster.

The one thing our young blogger didn't really factor in is break out years from Read and Gus. I think Read has a 30/30 season coming up, assuming his linemates are respectable. As long as Gus is not the 7th d man or in the press box (which I doubt), I'm expecting a 40 pt season from him, which will give him a bigger raise than was accounted for in the article. All subjective of course, but considering the skill level of the players involved, those are reachable goals. In that scenario, Read gets upwards of 5 mill and Gus would get over 3 mill, which would mess up his totals a bit.

There is always creative ways to keep young up and comers with upside, so I agree with the premise of the artilce, where there is a will, there is a way. These kids are worth keeping and I believe it will get done, somehow, someway. I was really excited to see Gus's game evolve last season. Many times he showed really nice vision, and skated the puck out of trouble instead of panicking and turning it over with an ill advised pass. That's a skill the Flyers are short on, I see big things for that kid, if all the stars align and he improves at the rate I think he will, our long lost #1 d man could even be on our present roster.

But there's a big factor in there we're not talking about... does Read want to be a 3rd line guy for the forseeable future?

Especially if he can get that kind of contract on the open market, I would think he wants to be a 1st/2nd liner, and Philly is not the right place for him... at least the way we're structured now.

@flyerrod

Does that make Read our new #1 defenceman?

I would be willing to bet he would have been a 10x better choice than Foster or Gervais............even if he has never set foot on the ice as a defenceman.

Edited by flyerrod

I think Homer should give him a 3 yr 10 mil contract and throw some tough but make-able bonuses on it for say another 2 mil worth of incentives. That would be a fair contract that allowed him to make 4 mil per if he excels. I think both sides would win. I hope he takes into consideration the fact that the Flyers gave him his shot and maybe takes a little less than he could get on the open market.

It all depends on what kind of year he has. If he has the production that NRH has stated (30&30 is more realistic) I don't think 3mil will get him. Look at what Clarkson got and he's not as versatile as Read. 30 & 30 gets him 4 to 5 per.

@peter puck I love the thought of a talent like Read going into next year with his production directly linked to a big raise. Great positon for the Flyers to be in. We are gonna see some fireworks from Read, with the money signs dancing in his head!

It all depends on what kind of year he has. If he has the production that NRH has stated (30&30 is more realistic) I don't think 3mil will get him. Look at what Clarkson got and he's not as versatile as Read. 30 & 30 gets him 4 to 5 per.

20/50 guys - which Read already is - are getting $4-5M per.

@peter puck

Read could hit those numbers if he played top line minutes with top line players, like Clarkson and RNH. But he doesn't.

If you're Read, do you want to get the opportunity to play top line minutes? Because it's pretty clear from the numbers game (Giroux, Hartnell, VLC, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn) that he's the seventh wheel.

@peter puck I love the thought of a talent like Read going into next year with his production directly linked to a big raise. Great positon for the Flyers to be in. We are gonna see some fireworks from Read, with the money signs dancing in his head!

Read hits 30/60 and there's going to be a UFA bidding war. He'd be far more valuable and consistent than Leino, for example.

Unless Read decides to sign a bad contract rightnow, I think he's going to UFA. And under those circumstances, if there's a "need" for, say, defense at the deadline, watch out (even if he HAS signed that)...

"f you're Read, do you want to get the opportunity to play top line minutes? Because it's pretty clear from the numbers game (Giroux, Hartnell, VLC, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn) that he's the seventh wheel."

I'd rather demote Hartnell to the 3rd line, than lose Read. I know you'd ever get full value for Harts if he's not grouped with G, but he could still contribute goals and sandpaper to the 3rd line. Not a perfect scenario, but I'd consider it if the alternative is losing Read altogether. Plus, it puts more pure skill with our best two players, so not a brutal proposition.

• Like 1

I'd rather demote Hartnell to the 3rd line, than lose Read. I know you'd ever get full value for Harts if he's not grouped with G, but he could still contribute goals and sandpaper to the 3rd line. Not a perfect scenario, but I'd consider it if the alternative is losing Read altogether. Plus, it puts more pure skill with our best two players, so not a brutal proposition.

I could agree with that.

Now, what do you think "The Flyers" will do?

And, either way, you've got a $4.5M+ player on your third line.

Basically the article throws around way too many numbers for me to scrutinize this early in the morning, but it proposes we will have plenty of money for Read next year.

Good read...so basically if they feel the need to give Read the money either they will or won't but they can. If that makes sense...or they can move him for some return...in case they would rather his spot go to someone else.

But something in my gut tells me he will be a deadline trade.

20/50 guys - which Read already is - are getting $4-5M per.

If you're Read, do you want to get the opportunity to play top line minutes? Because it's pretty clear from the numbers game (Giroux, Hartnell, VLC, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn) that he's the seventh wheel.

Read hits 30/60 and there's going to be a UFA bidding war. He'd be far more valuable and consistent than Leino, for example.

Unless Read decides to sign a bad contract rightnow, I think he's going to UFA. And under those circumstances, if there's a "need" for, say, defense at the deadline, watch out (even if he HAS signed that)...

Exactly. And Hartnell better bring his "A" game all season long this year.

Exactly. And Hartnell better bring his "A" game all season long this year.

Well, and then there's players like McGinn and Cousins who are in the pipeline (capgeek presumes Laughton on the squad). Flyers also have six other forwards on two ways making $900+ plus.

Also, Gagne hasn't signed... yet...

Unless Read decides to sign a bad contract rightnow, I think he's going to UFA.

I am afraid this is what will happen. If I am Read and have a 30-goal season playing with Couturier and Gagne - which is what the third line is likely going to be - I would be asking myself what will my production be if I play with, say, Steve Stamkos or Joe Thornton... which brings us to a question as to why would he even *want* to play with third-line type players if he would have an opportunity to play on top two lines someplace else? Of course he has to earn having that leverage, but that's a different matter.

Like for many late bloomers, the season which follows an eye-opening season, is the most criticial one. Teams want to see f the season like the one Read just had was a fluke... and I can respect that. That's why I am not surprised the Flyers are not rushing to sign him to a new contract now to avoid him becoming an UFA. If, on the other hand, Read will have a crappy season, if I am Read's agent negotiating the new contract, I will say something like, "Give us a break. They guy was playing on a shut-down line. How can you use his production as any indication of his scoring potential?"

It really is a tough situation for him. The Flyers' depth will be Read's worst enemy this season, unless someone from the top two lines gets injured and he gets promoted.

Edited by Mad Dog

Like for many late bloomers, the season which follows an eye-opening season, is the most criticial one. Teams want to see f the season like the one Read just had was a fluke... and I can respect that.

Read put up 24/47 in his first year and then was on pace to duplicate that last year (21/48).

If he puts up a third 20/"50" season, he'll be in line for a nice raise and should get a lot of attention.

• Like 3