Lavy out, Berube in

albertaflyer

Greetings:

It's on Yahoo too. This is part butt covering, part signaling. It is CYA for Homer, et. all. But it is a signal to the team that their lazy, uncommitted play is unacceptable. Their posteriors are next. Berube is a "safe" bet; they know him. But this is a repeat of history...bring in the Assistant. Where have we seen that before? And to what end?  I wonder if Berube is made interim?  

Tomorrow night against my hapless, backyard Panthers should be interesting. A battle of the lightweights.

Best,

Howie

I'M DONE WITH THIS ORGANIZATION. WHAT AN EMBARRASEMENT.

I'M DONE WITH THIS ORGANIZATION. WHAT AN EMBARRASEMENT.

Bear:

Hang in there. It sucks but there is something to be said for watching the team, even if it is inept. But I agree loyalty to this franchise is a tough sell.

Howie

I would have liked the reporter to follow up and say "That is a culture of competing and being competitive, but with all due respect sir, there is a big difference between competing and winning".

I would have liked to hear the reporter say "Sir, please calm down or I'm going to have to ask you to leave!" :D

I have hard time actually picturing Craig Berube devising clever plays; drawing some unpredictable schemes; changing on the fly as the game proceeds; shifting to a different tactics.

I'm not really thrilled with Berube, but I actually think the above is a bit overblown. I don't really need unpredictable schemes or changing on the fly or different tactics. The times such things come into play really aren't that often in reality. You still have to simply play. There's actually only a small and finite number of variations. I don't need him to be an innovator or visionary.

If he can simply get them to be responsible to each other, be defensively responsible and play for 60.damn minutes, the improvement will be immense. Enough that the x's and o's will take care of themselves.

I'm not sure Berube is that guy, but I guess time will tell.

I was excited this season and watching the 1st 3 games now this. I am taking a break this season i have plenty to do than watch this organization anymore. I have been going to flyers games when my pop took me to my 1st game in 87 and a young age of 7. F this team same crap every yr poor team managment over paying old palyers handing out NTC like nobodys bussiness. They take no time to develope young talent they just trade it away and they cant draft worth heck.

Enjoy Ed Snider you have lost a fan for the yr and the for seeable futures unless things change.

i will always be a flyers fan but I need a brake. I will go watch local college kids at my local rink at least they play for the love of the game

I envy you. You're not old and bitter yet!

The only time the Flyers sucked for a prolonged period was when I was born so I haven't had to deal with too many bad seasons, just the usual letdowns but at this point the Flyers and Eagles don't bother me when they suck or blow the game. I just laugh and say "typical."

If he can simply get them to be responsible to each other, be defensively responsible and play for 60.damn minutes, the improvement will be immense. Enough that the x's and o's will take care of themselves.

great post. The Xs and Os may  not "take care of themselves" in every situation - namely the POs...but first we have to get there and that means 2 things, TEAM D first, play like a team...

yep I should be coaching the Flyers.

• Like 1

great post. The Xs and Os may  not "take care of themselves" in every situation - namely the POs...but first we have to get there and that means 2 things, TEAM D first, play like a team...

yep I should be coaching the Flyers.

They don't need a new perspective.

boy you're never going to let that go are you? lol

But remind yourself - or understand (whatever the case may be) where Snider is coming from. Instead of pretending Flyers' fans "deserve" a change at the top try to realize that the Flyers are Ed's - they're his, he owns them and not just literally but figuratively - no that's not the right word - existentially? spiritually? I don't know the word but what I mean is they are his, they're his baby and he will never let them go. I'm sure he sees it as a Father/Son relationship in his mind.

so when somebody questions "Flyers' culture" or "Flyers' perspective" they're questioning ie. challenging Ed's commitment, his will. He believes it's understood - or should be by now - that his commitment to winning the Cup is absolute. He thinks he's proven that over and over by spending to the limit and by changing courses (in HC mostly, but also by trading big-name players - and their buddies) as soon as it looks like the course won't accomplish his goal.

edit: So he gets defensive when someone challenges his perspective that's all.

Edited by canoli
  • Like 1

boy you're never going to let that go are you? lol

try to understand where Snider is coming from. Instead of pretending Flyers' fans "deserve" a change at the top try to realize that the Flyers are Ed's - they're his, he owns them and not just literally but figuratively - no that's not the right word either - existentially? spiritually? I don't know the word but what I mean is they are his, they're his baby and he will never let them go. I'm sure he sees it as a Father/Son relationship in his mind.

so when somebody questions "Flyers' culture" or "Flyers' perspective" they're questioning ie. challenging Ed's commitment, his will. He believes it's understood - or should be by now - that his commitment to winning the Cup is absolute. He thinks he's proven that over and over by spending to the limit and by changing courses (in HC mostly, but also by trading big-name players - and their buddies) as soon as it looks like the course won't accomplish his goal. So he gets defensive when someone challenges his perspective.

I have never said anything but, and have said specifically that on numerous threads regarding this topic. I do "understand" and don't need to "try" or be encouraged to realize what it is I have said repeatedly.

I just think it's sad and pathetic for him to react that way. Of course, he has the right to do whatever he wants. Bully for him.

My interest in the Flyers is because I am a hockey fan and they have appropriated the word "Philadelphia" in their name.

I think my sig file pretty much sums it up.

yeah sorry about that, I edited my post to reflect the fact that you certainly understand a basic thing like: the Flyers are Ed's, period.

I just figured at this point, after yesterday and Ed getting so defensive, it's a good time to remind everyone that A) he's not going anywhere and B) he really does care about winning the Stanley Cup.

I have never said anything but, and have said specifically that on numerous threads regarding this topic. I do "understand" and don't need to "try" or be encouraged to realize what it is I have said repeatedly.

I just think it's sad and pathetic for him to react that way. Of course, he has the right to do whatever he wants. Bully for him.

My interest in the Flyers is because I am a hockey fan and they have appropriated the word "Philadelphia" in their name.

I think my sig file pretty much sums it up.

I like @canoli's post. I agree with you that Ed's response was sad and pathetic but I say that with almost a hint of pity for him. I get that a negative comment on Flyers' culture is a comment on his baby and, by extension, a comment on him. So he responded accordingly. It IS sad and pathetic because it's both true, and a shame.

• Like 1

haha...oh TK - but that's exactly what I'm trying to say - get over it, or get used to it.

I mean seriously folks if you hate the "good ol' boys network" and the freewheelin' style GMing then find another team to root for because for better or worse - and I've always argued it's for the better compared to most NHL teams - it isn't going to change.

I like @canoli's post. I agree with you that Ed's response was sad and pathetic but I say that with almost a hint of pity for him. I get that a negative comment on Flyers' culture is a comment on his baby and, by extension, a comment on him. So he responded accordingly. It IS sad and pathetic because it's both true, and a shame.

The problem is, when someone says something like that, to immediately act defensive and reactionary is an indication that you feel that there is at least a grain of truth in the accusation. Because there is.

If you are firmly confident that you have done everything right, you have the composure to listen to a Howard Eskin and laugh him off. You don't snap at a beat reporter. You certainly aren't going on SportsNight to tell Barkann to metaphorically get off your lawn.

I do have some "pity" for Snider in this situation. I've met the man. I know he cares. I know he "wants to win." I'm not quesitoning desire. But if desire itself led to results, I'd be polygamously married to Famke Janssen, Shania Twain, Alyson Hannigan and Christina Hendricks.

As canoli noted, Snider has made this situation. It is all about him. Start to finish. And there is a legitimate question as to whether he's got "it" to make it happen.

It is very reminiscent of Ralph Wilson with the Bills in Buffalo. Founder of the AHL. Builder of the NFL as we know it. Built his own stadiums. Won two (AFL) Championships. Still doing it "his way." Still defensive and reactionary about questions about the direction of the team. Still refers to the Kelly era and four Super Bowl appearances.

And massively out of touch with where the team and league is today. Just about everyone in Buffalo loves Ralph for bringing the Bills there and keeping them there (with one "home" game a year in Tronno). And most people are resigned to the fact that the Bills aren't going to change while Ralph is still in charge.

And they turn out every week and sell out the stadium for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade.

Because the name "Buffalo" comes before "Bills."

Go Philadelphia. Go Flyers.