Berube's defensive strategy

hf101

Now only 2pts out of a playoff spot....

Berube has created a team that is committed to playing defense first.  They have only lost 3 of their last 10 games are finally playing over .500 under Berube.  Flyers didn't give up a goal at 5-on-5 against the Senators and they haven't in four straight games.  More impressively they have only given up 3 goals when 5 on 5 in their last 8 games.  Yeah we can thank our solid goaltending but the quality tandem have been playing well all season.

It's the style of play that matches the roster we have.  Consider me impressed and I'm glad Berube didn't get the Capitals coaching job.  

He is doing all the right things with the team given to him.

Edited by hf101
correction.. thanks Rux :)
  • Like 2

@hf101

Things are looking good and I like some of the "little" things I'm seeing.  Good to get Couturier on the board and Giroux with a PPG.

I have a question for you or whomever.  You're not the only one that said "finally over .500"  (I heard it on CSN and I can't remember where, but I saw it in print) so this isn't to call you out.   But they are 8-10-2 and I have no idea how that is "over .500"

Or are people saying they are finally over .500 under Berube?

@hf101

I was just going to start a "Chief" thread.

It may not be as exciting as the river hockey style of Laviolette, but I have much more faith in a team defence, especially come playoff time. This is a style that forces the other team to really have to work for their goals, not just have them fall into their lap. Coburn is really looking comfortable with the new game plan. He's playing well, and a lot more consistantly. And what can you say about Mason? It's been awhile since Philly had a legit top ten goalie.

@ruxpin

You are right.  I heard it on CSN as I was writing my post, didn't think to question it.   It has to mean over 500 under Berube.

We must have been listening at the same time.   When they said it, I actually couldn't remember what their record was and had to go look.  I'd actually logged in here to ask the question in the shoutbox and saw your thread title (which made me forget about the .500 question!) and there it was in your post.  I guess it must mean Berube.  I swear I heard it last night on postgame as well but for some reason it didn't strike me the way it did this morning.

I don't think they indicated "under Berube" on CSN but it's highly possible I wasn't listening closely enough.   Love the avatar, by the way!

The hockey certainly isn't as "exciting" under Berube, but it's not exactly like they were exciting with Laviolette the last two seasons (I agree with FC but that occurred to me).

I think this is obviously still a work in progress but the focus on defense is a welcome change (1 goal against on 5 v 5 in the last 5 games they said on the broadcast last night.  I didn't realize HF's numbers for the last 8 games but that's astounding too!).   You can't ask for better than that.   You take care of business 5v5 and do your best to stay out of the box, good things are going to happen.   Hopefully as they get their defensive house in order it allows the offense to get going.   

I guess it takes me longer to get giddy than pissy so I'll continue to hedge my bets, but things are looking much much better.

And yes, the style of play is much better suited for this roster, I think.

@ruxpin

I think the hockey is exciting.....due to the fact that we are stringing together some nice wins.....And I'll take that over Laviolette's style play. 

And I can't say how thrilled I am that we FINALLY have some, dare I say, great goaltending!!!!!

GO FLYERS!!!

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I think the hockey is exciting.....due to the fact that we are stringing together some nice wins.....And I'll take that over Laviolette's style play. 

And I can't say how thrilled I am that we FINALLY have some, dare I say, great goaltending!!!!!

GO FLYERS!!!

Well, winning is better than losing, for sure.   And the hockey was NOT exciting under Lavy for at least last year and the beginning of this season.   I'll take it.

and DON'T JINX THE GOALTENDING!!!

Berube has created a team that is committed to playing defense first.  They have only lost 3 of their last 10 games are finally playing over .500 under Berube.  Flyers didn't give up a goal at 5-on-5 against the Senators and they haven't in four straight games.  More impressively they have only given up 3 goals when 5 on 5 in their last 8 games.  Yeah we can thank our solid goaltending but the quality tandem have been playing well all season.

It's the style of play that matches the roster we have.  Consider me impressed and I'm glad Berube didn't get the Capitals coaching job.  

The Berube hate was a rush to judgement. No, he was not my first choice either, but people freaking out over him did so simply because he was a goon.

I knew they were better than what they were showing. When you have that many guys having awful seasons, but are proven to be better than that, it's only a matter of time before things start happening. If we can get guys back up to their normal point production level, they're going to go on a tear, especially when you consider they're getting good goaltending for once. They should be a PO team imo. I would be disappointed if they didn't make it, even if it were only as an 8 seed.

• Like 1

The Berube hate was a rush to judgement. No, he was not my first choice either, but people freaking out over him did so simply because he was a goon.

I knew they were better than what they were showing. When you have that many guys having awful seasons, but are proven to be better than that, it's only a matter of time before things start happening. If we can get guys back up to their normal point production level, they're going to go on a tear, especially when you consider they're getting good goaltending for once. They should be a PO team imo. I would be disappointed if they didn't make it, even if it were only as an 8 seed.

I have to agree. I wasn't thrilled with Berube and Lappy being coach and assistant coach, but then I was reminded that Berube has 8 years behind the bench.  That is more experience than I know I gave him credit for.

i think we should talk about playoffs if they actually make it in april, because there's alot of games left and alot of good teams they have to play, i mean yes they are playing well but it's still early and i want to see them play the really good teams like redwings, blackhawks, avs before we can say playoffs. you cant just overlook the rest the teams and say yes they will win it all or the make the playoffs because this is the type of roster that will show inconsistency.

Edited by flyersfan83

I have to agree. I wasn't thrilled with Berube and Lappy being coach and assistant coach, but then I was reminded that Berube has 8 years behind the bench.  That is more experience than I know I gave him credit for.

I'm not going to say he was my first choice. He didn't even come to mind when they fired Lavy to be completely honest. And when he was chosen I was rather indifferent to it. But some people ragged on him way too quickly. It was just way too soon. He's got enough experience as an assistant that his hiring isn't totally unwarranted.

@flyersfan83

Wait good teams like the Red Wings who just lost seven in a row and only have one more regulation win over the Flyers? Yeah, they're tearing it up. 

I get what you are saying, but what we are witnessing on the ice is a vast improvement over last season and the earlier part of this season. However, I do think Berube's strategy is the lull the other team to sleep and then pounce on them while they are deep in slumber.  :D  :D  :D

If they can get points in the next 4 of 6 remaining in December, they will certainly climb into a playoff spot and at that point the slate should be pretty much clean. 

I was one of the heavy groaners when the Chief was hired. It *seemed* like the same old ex-Flyer re-hashing we have witnessed for decades. I did not know he was going to employ a defense first system, I've been shouting from the mountain tops that this team had to employ a defense first type of game, making up for the glaring weakness on our back end. Berube is doing exactly what I thought would work. I'm really impressed. It's basically the opposite approach of the run and gun Lavi, who outright refused to bend the system to meet the teams needs and play to the strength of the roster. Craig is a perfect fit for this roster as it is presently constructed. I didn't give Homer enough credit when he hired this guy. Craig must have had some very impressive meeting to sway the org into seeing his vision for the team.

• Like 1

Things are coming together now but they haven't "turned the corner" just yet. The reason I say that is because of those final 8 or 9 minutes last night. I don't know if you guys noticed it but until Hall got the ENer the Flyers were really shaky. 

After getting the 2-goal lead back they started fumbling passes and making bad decisions with the puck; suddenly it looked like the first 10 games all over again... consecutive turnovers, icing the puck when they didn't have to...the 2 late PPs were terrible, way too casual (better scoring chances for the Sens) and once again Mason saved their asses. Stopping Turris on the PS was huge.

But even if they haven't righted the ship completely just yet they sure are playing like a team now and that's a huge improvement from October.

It's basically the opposite approach of the run and gun Lavi, who outright refused to bend the system to meet the teams needs and play to the strength of the roster.

What amazed me is that he let the team come into the season basically out of shape.  Pretty much any style benefits from the team being in tip-top shape, but certainly a run and gun.

I never thought Lavi was a great tactician but I did think he was a ball-buster and was shocked at how out of shape the team looked in the beginning of the season.

Nice to see those guys finally starting to skate, and damn is Voracek flying or what!! Gotta love his speed. Mason - Flyers finally has goalie who is good and not a nutcase.

I like the way Berube is coaching and how they play, I think Lavys system was also good but not with these guys...way too open and slow D for Lavys system. Hope they keep that speed up :)

Coburn is really looking comfortable with the new game plan

Yes i've noticed this and maybe my most impressed observation (2nd to complete buy in to defensive scheme), mind you i am the head of the please-trade-Coburn-for-anything fan club....and now i have to rethink this.

Which honestly is all i really wanted is him to play to his "potential' and i must say it looks like he has turned the corner.......

....so therefor i can turned my heat/hate towards Streit....let me break out my Voodoo doll of him now....... :ph34r:

• Like 2

Nice to see those guys finally starting to skate, and damn is Voracek flying or what!! Gotta love his speed. Mason - Flyers finally has goalie who is good and not a nutcase.

Voracek is finally in shape, his off season routine of going home running his pub and eating mom's perogies, just doesn't cut it for a professional athlete in the 21st century. plus i think Giroux finally getting his head out of his sphincter has helped 93's game tremendously.

Yes i've noticed this and maybe my most impressed observation (2nd to complete buy in to defensive scheme), mind you i am the head of the please-trade-Coburn-for-anything fan club....and now i have to rethink this.

Which honestly is all i really wanted is him to play to his "potential' and i must say it looks like he has turned the corner.......

....so therefor i can turned my heat/hate towards Streit....let me break out my Voodoo doll of him now....... :ph34r:

That's just kind of how Coburn is. I've come to accept it. I don't think he's ever going to a legit top-pairing guy, but when he's on he can be a pretty good player. I've always felt that he needs a calming presence to play with. I think it just helps his game.

@fanaticV3.0

I never got the Coburn hate. We got him for a washed up 35 year old. His salary has never been over the top, he basically gets paid what a defenceman of his calibre is supposed to....and he's about the only somewhat home-grown Dman we've had for about 20 years. Sure he can be frustrating sometimes (who isn't) but he's fine as a 2nd pairing guy.

• Like 1

so therefor i can turned my heat/hate towards Streit.

if he doesn't quit turning the puck over at the blue line (both of them) ... well if he doesn't then he'll be playing exactly how he's always played: a decent enough offensive D-man but whoa is prone to really bad turnovers...usually at the worst possible time in the game too.

[edit: Homer made some mistakes over his tenure but damn signing Mark Streit ranks right up there imho. A lot of money ($5.25), a long contract for his age (4 yrs 35+)...only thing missing is the NMC to make it a Homer Special if there ever was one.]

Edited by canoli

@fanaticV3.0

I never got the Coburn hate. We got him for a washed up 35 year old. His salary has never been over the top, he basically gets paid what a defenceman of his calibre is supposed to....and he's about the only somewhat home-grown Dman we've had for about 20 years. Sure he can be frustrating sometimes (who isn't) but he's fine as a 2nd pairing guy.

I agree he's fine as a 2nd pairing guy,  but there are times he looks both better and worse than what he is. Sometimes he turns into mean Coburn and just looks likes a force to be reckoned with. Others, he's just lost. So I get the frustration with him. But the level of hate it reaches is completely over-the-top to me. I never understood the "hate" as you put it.

He reminds me of Therien or Hartnell. They are all very streaky, which is one thing, but there's times they look really good, and others really bad. I've come to accept it with him just like I did the other two. You know what you're going to get out of them and for the most part it's not bad.