Pitkanen an UFA this summer- any interest by Flyers?

RonJeremy

Sign no one, and let the current group gel. Resign Meszaros for 2 years. Let the young guys battle in training camp for the last slot.

Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, Gus, Mesz, Lauridsen/Manning/Alt/???

I just don't see the upside to Meszaros being worth the re-signing. His injury/healthy scratch history is a severe liability. I'd rather go with a meat and potatoes type (yes, groan, "Hal Gill" if not Hal Gill - Andrew Alberts a few years back...) who will put in 75+ games and be ready for the playoffs.

God help me - Chris Therien.

Another Grossmann, really.

No names jump to mind - because those names don't. I do think a Lauridsen or Alt might be able to fill that role if given the chance. 

Markhov is a fossil , hes 34.

I'm not going to argue that he is a spring chicken or really young, but on a 2 year contract he could be a great asset as a stop-gap type deal.  Here is a guy who is 34 years of age, but still leads his team in ATOI and is 10th in the league in scoring for defenseman.  He also leads his team in +/-.  We need an offensive defenseman, and is as close as is out there on the UFA market. 

Pitkanen is an UFA this summer he is 30 yrs old, would the Flyers have an interest? Timmo is retiring, so 6 millions comes off the books. Pitkanen is making 4 million. We are gonna  need a skating dman, since we have no defenseman like that, other than Streit, and our top defensive prospects, Morin, Ghost and Haag, are 2-3 years away... we also save 4 million from Mezzaros contract.

Hell No! If the Flyers signed him I'd be doing something I never did for a flyers player, Hoping he got hurt just enough to miss time playing here but not enough to end his career with another team. Can't stand him.

Joni "Booger" Pitkanen is the biggest piece of crap I ever remember donning the Flying P, and that says a lot.

I remember the hype like it was yesterday and I remember his first two seasons and being beyond excited. Then the true player arrived to the 2006-07 season. If I recall correctly, he would streak down the left side, take a shot from behind the net at an impossible angle, miss the net, be caught deep and cause an odd man counter rush. He would gas his forwards due to having to play both forward and defense while he was on the ice.

Lastly, to me, his offensive productivity could never justify his career -8. Top that with he has missed half of last season and all of this season, I say NO WAY, not unless they'll (Carolina) can resign him to a league minimum contract and trade him and their 1st for Scott Hartnell, but that wouldn't make sense, so let's stay with the no side of the equation. 

One of the happiest memories as a Flyers fan is when they traded him to Edmonton.

• Like 1

Absolutely..... Make him GM. He can make a blockbuster trade for a superstar, while the team continues to lose, then get replaced by Bill Barber

Why hasn't Reggie Leach ever been given a shot at GM?

@CoachX

Who do you think replaces Holmgren?

Hextall. And he should be followed by Pronger.

Lapperierre should be in line to be the next head coach

*** i was serious about Hextall

Edited by CoachX

They do need some veterans back there though.

Right now half the defensive corps - Streit, Grossmann, Coburn - would be considered "veterans" who are also signed for at least the next two seasons.

Add LSchenn to that - not a true "vet" in the terms used - and 2/3 of the defense is already signed for the next two seasons.

I fully expect them to go out and sign someone like a Marek Zidlicky, Brooks Orpik, Derek Morris or Henrik Tallinder.

Maybe even take a run at ol' Dion Phaneuf.

I don't see Pitkanen coming back - but stranger things have happened.

Right now half the defensive corps - Streit, Grossmann, Coburn - would be considered "veterans" who are also signed for at least the next two seasons.

Add LSchenn to that - not a true "vet" in the terms used - and 2/3 of the defense is already signed for the next two seasons.

I fully expect them to go out and sign someone like a Marek Zidlicky, Brooks Orpik, Derek Morris or Henrik Tallinder.

Maybe even take a run at ol' Dion Phaneuf.

I don't see Pitkanen coming back - but stranger things have happened.

We need good veterans, that better?

They don't need more kids back there. Not unless you're talking about a rare one who is already playing like a vet. They need somebody who is poised and am impact player back there. You can get away with raw talent/potential up front, but this defense isn't good enough to take chances on unproven kids right now. Coburn alone would benefit from this kind of player. He's simply a better player when he is the wing man.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

We need good veterans, that better?

They don't need more kids back there. Not unless you're talking about a rare one who is already playing like a vet. They need somebody who is poised and am impact player back there. You can get away with raw talent/potential up front, but this defense isn't good enough to take chances on unproven kids right now. Coburn alone would benefit from this kind of player. He's simply a better player when he is the wing man.

There just aren't a lot of good UFA options out there: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

I, personally, am hoping like hell Tronno re-signs Phaneuf...

There just aren't a lot of good UFA options out there: http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

I, personally, am hoping like hell Tronno re-signs Phaneuf...

A few years ago I wouldn't have minded Komisarek, but not now.

I don't want anything to do with Phaneuf either.

A part of me wants to find out more about what it would take to get Subban in a trade this year.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

If I recall correctly, he would streak down the left side, take a shot from behind the net at an impossible angle, miss the net, be caught deep and cause an odd man counter rush. He would gas his forwards due to having to play both forward and defense while he was on the ice.

Sounds like you were talking about Subban instead of Joni.

@Howie58, interesting. I was thinking the other day if there was a Flyer alone in the slot with a shot which Flyer would I want it to be. Read came to mind, but Vinny and G as well.  I think Read has a quicker release but he really hasn't capitalized on some great chances lately. I was hoping for just a bit more.  The problem with Vinny and G as the answer to my questions is they are both centers and likely passing to that player.  I think my answer should have been Voracek or Hartnell and the fact that is wasn't really shows how the productively of the first line is just not there.  When Read is 2nd in goals scored playing on the 3rd line and only 2nd pp unit I think is a testament to his goal scoring ability.

I said it before, Read and Simmonds should switch lines.  Read is much more of a gifted scorer and IMO is a 2nd line player.

@EightyEight

"Sounds like you were talking about Subban instead of Joni." You must have missed the 2006-07 season lol

"I said it before, Read and Simmonds should switch lines.  Read is much more of a gifted scorer and IMO is a 2nd line player."

Why on earth would you want to break that line apart. That is the brightest spot on offense right now. I'd make their line the second line and make Giroux's the 3rd line.