raffle... Not sure but

murraycraven

Look... I have to give kudos to the kid bc he played a very good game. His speed seemed to help Jake and G tonight...

I am still not sure about him but I will say he seems like a great kid. I love watching his interviews... Kid seems like he has a great attitude...

Edited by murraycraven

If I were not so lazy I would go through the other threads on this board  and post the Raffl hate. I just did not understand it. The kid plays strong defensively and his speed makes him a much better choice for the 1st line than Hartnell. Hartnell is going to be the highest paid 4th liner in the game when Vinny Returns.....I thought that Berube might move Read to the 1st line to jump start G and play Raffl on the 3rd but I guess just maybe there was a reason that Raffl has been kept around.

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 2

Carchidi hit the nail on the head in his column--this is a slow team. This guy has some wheels. I am happy for him. I also agreed with Coates that Vande Velde (sp) looked pretty sharp out there as well.

After his nonperformance in last night, Harnell deserved a demotion. Berube gets high grades for imposing accountability.

Best,

Howie

He is the new orange Jesus! - ninja-

Actually Schenn, Simmer, and Hartnell looked pretty dangerous . Raffl was able to keep up with G and Voracek, who must skate so his brain works, I'm convinced of it.

I think the demotion of Hartnell may be a turning point for this group of players, we should enjoy it now because there's only 50 or so games until we reload...-another ninja-

All kidding aside about how I call Raffl the next Gretzky; I never said the kid was the 2nd coming of a hockey god, and he may still crash and burn, and never be heard from again.  He struggled early, there's no doubt.  He also has never played in a North American rink.  There's bound to be an adjustment period, and some struggles.  Granted, that usually happens in the AHL, but for whatever reason, Berube/Flyers have decided to let that happen in the NHL.  He works hard every shift, he is defensively responsible, and as others have said, he can skate.  I would argue he's faster than 2/3's of the Flyers forwards.  God knows this team needs some speed.  Everyone talks about letting kids develop and not giving up on them, this kid has been on this continent for 4 months, and people have been killing him.  I don't get it.  

Also, in those 4 months, the kid has gone from being scratched, to the 4th line, to killing penalties and playing on the 1st line.  Yeah, he sucks.. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I take back my comment yesterday about feeling ill at the thought of Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds. YOu know what? They looked like a legitimate trio. Worked hard, got some chances, and generally didn't get hemmed into their own zone.

Giroux's line once again got hemmed in a lot. In fact, that stupid turnover by Jake in his own zone with under a minute to play is responsible for blowing Mason's shutout.

Voracek seems to have turned up his production lately, but he still makes a lot of braindead plays. But that pass to Raffl in the slot was a thing of beauty, as was the cross ice to G on his goal.

Oh yeah, this thread is about Raffl. I thought he looked great last night. He did not look out of place on the top line.... that's what they needed, I guess. An injection of speed and urgency. Raffl brought that last night.

And vandeVelde looked pretty good too in limited minutes. Made a few eyebrow raising plays.

McGinn must have really screwed the pooch to have fallen so far down the depth chart.

Well I guess we can cross top line winger off of our checklist, because we don't need one now that Raffl has broken out. If we get that stud defenseman, we might actually be poised to make a run.

He's already here, didn't you see Gussttaffssonn. in the line up last night :ph34r:

Look... I have to give kudos to the kid bc he played a very good game. His speed seemed to help Jake and G tonight...

I am still not sure about him but I will say he seems like a great kid. I love watching his interviews... Kid seems like he has a great attitude...

He does seem like a very nice guy, I agree.

It's perfectly normal not to be sure about him. I knew this thread was going to be created from the second he scored last night. I expected it to be some dope talking about how he knew Raffl "had something", but was glad to see somebody approach it like a sensible human being.

@fanaticV3.0

The guy has talent, speed, and decent hockey IQ he's not the second coming of anyone but he's not a bad player, he brings more to the table than anyone currently in Adirondack.

I don't see how you can watch the game and not notice the speed at least.

Meltzer wrote about your buddy McGinn recently (i just saw it yesterday)

here's the link  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=56402&blogger_id=45

give Tye pluses because he's a hard worker and maybe that will eventually serve him well.

@fanaticV3.0

The guy has talent, speed, and decent hockey IQ he's not the second coming of anyone but he's not a bad player, he brings more to the table than anyone currently in Adirondack.

I don't see how you can watch the game and not notice the speed at least.

Meltzer wrote about your buddy McGinn recently (i just saw it yesterday)

here's the link  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=56402&blogger_id=45

give Tye pluses because he's a hard worker and maybe that will eventually serve him well.

I never said Raffl wasn't fast and I never said McGinn was great. You accused several other people of loving McGinn on the other thread and like rad said there, it's not that, it's how they've handled him, especially when he's played decent with the little time he's got. You need to start arguing people's points based on what they actually said.

You accused several other people of loving McGinn on the other thread and like rad said there, it's not that, it's how they've handled him, especially when he's played decent with the little time he's got. You need to start arguing people's points based on what they actually said.

i didn't accuse anyone of any thing.

i do respond to direct questions and challenges, usually with direct responses of my own.

I asked a pointed question of the forum asking what is go great about McGinn ? No one can say anything beyond he was the Flyers leading scorer after 5 games with 3 goals. 

I don't have the time nor desire to go and quote all the comments that ask why handsome Tye isn't in the lineup and why Raffl was,  but there were plenty.

I am on record as saying i think Raffl has more talent than McGinn ,  i don't even think it is close actually, I also thought the idea of McGinn not getting "his shot" because of Raffl's presence was ill conceived.

Then @ruxpin brought up the stupid salary cap and i was able to see that point from that perspective.  The two players do not bring similar abilities to the table whatsoever, the Flyers do not need a large bodied, below average skater with some courage.  They need guys with some ******* talent, an explosive shot , some smarts and speed . The Chicago game highlighted that in bright colors.

And truly beyond having some fun razzing some guys over the situation , i don't care.   I hope it works out for both guys as they both seem like hardworking likeable people.

i didn't accuse anyone of any thing.

i do respond to direct questions and challenges, usually with direct responses of my own.

I asked a pointed question of the forum asking what is go great about McGinn ? No one can say anything beyond he was the Flyers leading scorer after 5 games with 3 goals. 

I don't have the time nor desire to go and quote all the comments that ask why handsome Tye isn't in the lineup and why Raffl was,  but there were plenty.

I am on record as saying i think Raffl has more talent than McGinn ,  i don't even think it is close actually, I also thought the idea of McGinn not getting "his shot" because of Raffl's presence was ill conceived.

Then @ruxpin brought up the stupid salary cap and i was able to see that point from that perspective.  The two players do not bring similar abilities to the table whatsoever, the Flyers do not need a large bodied, below average skater with some courage.  They need guys with some ****** talent, an explosive shot , some smarts and speed . The Chicago game highlighted that in bright colors.

And truly beyond having some fun razzing some guys over the situation , i don't care.   I hope it works out for both guys as they both seem like hardworking likeable people.

Really?

why the hue and cry for McGinn to play on the Flyers ?  he's got 7 points, is -4 ,in 18 games in Adirondack,  really where's the rush, what's the allure ?

throw **** at the wall and see if it sticks ?  

i don't care **** from shineola if he plays or not, really i could care less. 

what is the magical hold he has for folks to want to see him with the big club ?

right where's an accusation in that ?

those are questions of which I'm still waiting for answers. 

plus , I have acknowledged the yo-yo twixt the press box at the WF Center and the dressing room in Adirondack is a little weird.

look, i'm done here.

think  what you want , just don't be surprised when i disagree with you and make my opinions known.

The Chicago game highlighted that in bright colors.

Not arguing with much of what you said, but we have to realize the fact that this Chicago team did and will continue exposing weaknesses of just about every NHL team.  We may be witnessing one of the greatest and most consistent NHL teams in the history of the sport, which will be for generations to remember.  They don't have a pedigree of the Canadians or the Oilers of early years, but as far as their performance is concerned, they are right there with those greatest.  There is no shame in being embarrassed by Chicago. 

With that said, I've been bitching since the last season that the Flyers are just NOT a very good team.  Their play this season really shouldn't be that surprsing to many people.  And if it wasn't for Mason, they would be well cemented in the cellar of the Metropolitan division.  It's sad, but true.

Edited by Mad Dog

I'm cheering for Raffl, but only until Wellwood is ready to come back....ha ha. Wonder how his injury is progressing, have not heard any new updates. The presence of a young player like Raffl, who appears to be getting more comfortable would almost directly block Welly's return to the NHL. Never know what can happen with the injury bug though, this *is* a McCrossin team...anything can happen.

@jammer2

I wish Welly had better hands to go with that speed. I also think there will be room for a rocket kid on the PK, I thought he was great on the 4th line with Talbot and Zolnerczyck/Rinaldo . I don't know if I think Raffl and Wellwood are interchangeable parts.

@maddog

My hope is Homer gets promoted to the press box with Clarke and the next guy (Hextall most likely) gets to reshape the roster , I think there is potential with G, Schenn and Couturier down the middle.

@jammer2, @mojo1917, I agree with mojo- I don't think Welly really competes with Raffl. I think Rinaldo could find himself on the hot seat if he can't nail down a job on the PK. I think that's where Wellwood would fit in.

Wellwood was ok, but truly expendable as a player. He's a run of the mill bubble player. Raffl has already shown way more than Welly ever did, and if I had to choose between Welly and Rinaldo, I would take Rinaldo hands down. His physical game makes him a better candidate, I think.

I wish Wellwood a nice recovery, but even when he's healthy, he doesn't make this team better.

• Like 1

I wish Wellwood a nice recovery, but even when he's healthy, he doesn't make this team better.

Agreed.  In those games he played for the Flyers, other than speed I haven't seen anything special in him.  He is a dime-a-dozen type of player.