Canada vs USA reaction....

jammer2

Price has been outstanding in the tourny. Even though I've always said I don't trust him, I've gotta say my lack of faith was dead wrong.  The bigger the game, the better Price has been. This is some vindication for Stevie Y. even though Price did seem like an obvious choice. He's tracking the puck right now at an elite level, very poised and cool as a cucumber. Could not be happier with his play.

I'm very humble about this win, the margin for error in this chess match was super slim. Literally one shot and it's a different ball game. Having said that, I did think the talent level difference was notable. I think Team Canada dictated the pace from the start and in general had superior speed. Don't take this in a snotty manner, but our 4th line center Tavares would be Team USA's top line center, so there is a big disparity in regards to skill and depth, at least the way I see it.

Duncan Kieth continues to show why he's one of the best in the world. Just a rock back there....the whole damn defense is impressive. The inclusion of Marc Edward- Vlassic and Bouwmeester were just great calls, even though I second guessed them.

A good day to be a Canadian. Don't know how far I am back in the board Olympic challenge, but I'm sitting pretty with 3 Canadians, Price. Crosby and Nash. My 3 Swedes are not shabby either, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson and Loui Ericksson filling in for Zetts.

Congrats Jammer and all of the other Canadian members here.  Great games each of them and both losses are tough to take at least for a day or so. 

Can't wait for the games to return for the NHL. 

@radoran  Would not want to the FIns right now. USA is gonna crush them come Sunday. I hate to even ask, but does Miller get the start. I would say Quick deserves to play this game. He's been solid lost a tight game to a quality opponent. He was every bit as good as Quick. That pass was obviously meant to be directed, and such a bang bang play, I don't fault Quick at all there. That goes in against anybody, unless it just happens to hit you.

@radoran  Would not want to the FIns right now. USA is gonna crush them come Sunday. I hate to even ask, but does Miller get the start. I would say Quick deserves to play this game. He's been solid lost a tight game to a quality opponent. He was every bit as good as Quick. That pass was obviously meant to be directed, and such a bang bang play, I don't fault Quick at all there. That goes in against anybody, unless it just happens to hit you.

I really think the bronze is going to be a real war. The Finns play a very disciplined game which will be difficult to beat.

Without Rask, though, I've got to give the edge to the USA - who are probably the most individually-talented of the two. I do think the Finns play the better "team" game.

Canada too beaucoup for boom boom wit soul brova in the defensive zone.  Wow is the Canadian all star blue line deep.  there was no room, no chance to get sticks on many rebounds... they were awesome.

Canada definitely deserved the win, they played the better game.

the skill gap between American and Canadian hockey is pretty slim though, damn slim.  don't feel one bit "upset " about the USA not winning today.

Congrats Jammer and all of the other Canadian members here.  Great games each of them and both losses are tough to take at least for a day or so. 

Can't wait for the games to return for the NHL. 

Thanks hf, this really could have gone either way. Stevie Y should feel vindicated. I questioned the involvement of 5 specific players, namely Jeff Carter, Rick Nash, Edward-Vlassic, Bouwmeester and Kunitz. 4 of those 5 were absolute home runs. I must say, absolutely infuriating to see Carter play with such desperation and purpose. He's all over the ice, forechecking, using his stride and speed to his advantage. Nash was a quiet kind of efficient. Very solid defensive plays, being physical....not scoring but doing all the little things right. Only Kunitz looked out of place. Imagine this team with Stamkos in Kunitz's spot??

I thought Canada played virtually perfect hockey today. A clinic. The score could easily have been worse if not for Quick. Canada's blue line is outstanding. Doughty, Keith, Weber, Pietrangelo... I mean, the reigning Norris Trophy winner can't even crack the lineup. Canada's defense was the difference imo. From the US only Suter, and maybe McDonough, would make team Canada on D. In four years (if NHL players participate) we should have Jones and Trouba (at least) playing, which should significantly improve the US team.

I thought Kunitz looked great today.  He was in front of our net, banging away and getting good scoring chances.  He really tested Quick no less than three times in the third period alone, almost chipping in his own rebound half way through it.    I paid particular attention to him thanks to all the comments here, and I thought this game must have been a fluke for him compared to the others if what I was reading was true.  

I also think Price looked average.  Yeah yeah shutout I know... but I honestly felt Canada's defense made the difference there.  NO rebounds, no shots from in the slot area, almost nothing to challenge Price at all.  In fact, so many shots were from the outside with wide open lanes right into his chest, I felt he never even had to move.  For that I gave credit to your defense.  They were absolutely stifling.  We well deserved win,much as I hate to see the USA boys out of it.  

I thought Kunitz looked great today.  He was in front of our net, banging away and getting good scoring chances.  He really tested Quick no less than three times in the third period alone, almost chipping in his own rebound half way through it.    I paid particular attention to him thanks to all the comments here, and I thought this game must have been a fluke for him compared to the others if what I was reading was true.  

I also think Price looked average.  Yeah yeah shutout I know... but I honestly felt Canada's defense made the difference there.  NO rebounds, no shots from in the slot area, almost nothing to challenge Price at all.  In fact, so many shots were from the outside with wide open lanes right into his chest, I felt he never even had to move.  For that I gave credit to your defense.  They were absolutely stifling.  We well deserved win,much as I hate to see the USA boys out of it.  

Really?  In the first minute alone there was furious action in front of him, and he stopped 3 point blank shots. Numerous times in this game he handled multiple shot flurries. I thought he looked confident, poised, super sharp. His reaction time was excellent. The only thing I saw in his game which was negative, is the bad habit of leaving the top corners open when he insticntually goes down.....but he does recover pretty fast, so can't call it much of a weakness.

Really? In the first minute alone there was furious action in front of him, and he stopped 3 point blank shots. Numerous times in this game he handled multiple shot flurries. I thought he looked confident, poised, super sharp. His reaction time was excellent. The only thing I saw in his game which was negative, is the bad habit of leaving the top corners open when he insticntually goes down.....but he does recover pretty fast, so can't call it much of a weakness.

I missed the first period so that must've been his moment in the sun. The rest of the game I thought he had it pretty easy. Too easy in fact.

@flyercanuck Yeah, that defense is pretty sick. They never really let the Americans establish any sort of cycle, which is what guys like Pacioretty, Backes and others excel at. 

It seems like defense is Team Canada's identity. They certainly put a lot of pucks on (or toward) the net, but their defense is what really stands out. The offense just isn't really clicking yet. They can make some nice plays, but there's no finish.

But make this a 7 game series, and I would bet it goes 7. 

Just finishing up watching the game.   Man what an effort by both teams.  Watching games like these are why I don't see the eastern European teams winning tournaments like this.  The defensive effort and sacrifice of players of any pedigree to keep the puck out of the net.  Just don't see that kind of effort blocking shots and such out of teams like the russians

I don't think any one player stood out for either team. I do think Quick was the better goalie only because he was tested. I can't remember one time that Price was tested. Canada completely shut down the slot and didn't allow the US to get a player in there, let alone the puck. They kept everything to the outside.

Team Canada has a lot of ways to get the puck out of their end, lot's of options. They all have strong first passes, and most can skate the puck out of trouble when that pass is not there. Kieth, Doughty, Bouwmeester, Pietriangelo, Weber all had tons of poise ragging the puck, basically dictating the pace and flow of the game from the back end. Once and a while they would hold back and regroup, but for the most part they were pushing the envelope, feeding forwards in full flight, allowing Canada to enter the offensive zone with a head of steam and momentum. Jeff Carter was hit in full stride more than a few times.

I found the big difference in the two teams was skating and poise of Team Canada's defense. Just a super smart group. If we do go to the South Korea Olympics, I expect Exblad to be ready 4 years from now. I can see him bringing the same type of game that Adam Foote brought Team Canada so many years ago, just with better skating and a lot more offensive upside. I'm thinking Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, and maybe Exblad will form the nucleolus  of a potential 2018 team. Who knows, maybe Weber and or Kieth still have enough left in the tank to squeeze in one last Olympics.

@Hockey Junkie

Maybe, just maybe, when Price plays your Sabres, he's drunk, or just doesn't give a crap?

The guy has never lost a game in international play...I think he's something like 10-0...1.00 GAA and around a .960 save percentage. Yes he plays for Team Canada, but how about manning up and give credit where it's due instead of these childish potshots you take after every one of your lousy predictions comes up wrong?

Or just keep being yourself. It's more entertaining.

justinbieber.jpg

@Hockey Junkie

Maybe, just maybe, when Price plays your Sabres, he's drunk, or just doesn't give a crap?

The guy has never lost a game in international play...I think he's something like 10-0...1.00 GAA and around a .960 save percentage. Yes he plays for Team Canada, but how about manning up and give credit where it's due instead of these childish potshots you take after every one of your lousy predictions comes up wrong?

Or just keep being yourself. It's more entertaining.

justinbieber.jpg

Agreed!