Do you still watch hockey after your team gets knocked out?

yave1964

When the Wings get knocked out, I still watch playoff hockey right on through to the Stanley cup finals, with the exception of some of the games with 10:30 starting times. I just have a hard time staying up until one in the morning for a Kings versus Ducks game.

I always root for whoever knocked the Wings out, for instance, the Wings pushed the Hawks to a seventh game last year and lost in overtime, a great series and when the Hawks won I could justify in my mind saying the Wings were the second best team in hockey because they were the only team that actually pushed the Hawks in the post season (my rules, I make them up).

I watch to root against the teams I do not like, the Canucks for instance, not much gives me the pleasure of watching them doing the handshake with their heads down after getting knocked out in four games by the Sharks or Hawks. A few others.

I always pick a team to root for in the other conference, last year I chose the Senators as my team, and the spanking of the Canadiens in the first round including a line brawl in the playoffs of all things was a delight to watch. When they lost to the Penguins it hurt almost as much as when the Wings lost.

So yeah, I watch, I hate when the Cup involves two teams I do not like, the Bruins and Canucks in 2010 comes to mind, I had no vested interest and didn't like either club a single bit. Equally, I have a hard time when two teams I have enjoyed in the playoffs meet in the cup final, such as when the Flyers played the Hawks. After three rounds of rooting for two teams it is hard to get a good hate on for one of them.

The Penguins are a team I love to hate. I was shocked when they fell apart so unprofessionally to the Bruins in4 straight last year. Shocked but not saddened. Not saddened at all. I respect Crosby and even love to watch him play, it might be a bit harder disliking them now that Matt Cooke and Kennedy have moved on.

Sorry, a bit rambly and off the beam, but the question is do you watch teams other than your favorite in the post season?

@yave1964  I'm not just a Flyer fan, I'm a fan of hockey and the NHL in general. From a historical perspective, I *have* to know how a team won, who shined, what controversy went into it....etc. I watch every last damn game until the cup is awarded, and eat up the drama like it a heroin addict craves the needle.

• Like 2

Nice topic, yave.

I typically do not watch after the Flyers get knocked out.

There are exceptions, of course! I love Game 7s. I will watch almost everyone of those. And certain series that have a pressure cooker feel to them, like the Pens/Flyers from a few years back. Anytime teams truly hate each other and it shows, the series is usually dynamite to watch.

Sadly enough, I find the Stanley Cup Final to be way way too late in the year to watch hockey. Even when it was the Flyers/Hawks, I had a hard time (slight exaggeration, ahem). I don't know what it is, but our seasons here are so drastic that when it's beach and mowing season, I just can't bring myself to watch hockey. My 'day' ends so much later because of the beautiful weather that I'll usually have missed at least the first period. Again, there would be exceptions (Game 7s, or a certain intensity). 

I honestly don't know why they don't just start the season in mid-September. I mean, school's on, TV shows are airing their new seasons, etc. So why not start hockey then? That way all hockey is done by mid- to late-May.

Looking forward to what others have to say!

• Like 1

@jammer2

@yave1964

Agree! Great topic!

Not just a Flyer fan but a fan of hockey in general. I've watched NHL / AHL / ECHL / Juniors / World juniors / College.  I just love the sport in general.  Yes..I bleed O&B, but if the Flyers get knocked out, I just want to watch good match-ups.  I cannot bear myself to root for any team that is in the Flyers Division.  I consider them rivals and therefore I don't want any good fortune to be bestowed upon them.  I usually root for the underdog.  Even though the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the SCF several years ago, I have no real ill feelings towards them and therefore was kind of rooting for them to beat Boston.  This year if/when the Flyers get knocked out I'll probably lean toward the Blues since Chicago has now won 2 cups within the last couple of years.  Rooted for LA 2 yrs ago because of Richards and other former Flyers (though I still cannot stand Carter).  I WILL NEVER ROOT FOR THE PENS! PERIOD!

In general I just love the sport of hockey.  Again great topic. Thanks for starting it! :)

Edited by hf101

I always root for whoever knocked the Wings out

Good for you.   I say this about the Flyers and I get pounded on for it!

I wish it wasn't true, but to be honest I watch very little of it after the Flyers are knocked out.  I think most of it is because even when it's the Flyers I generally have to negotiate for the television.  It's just not worth the effort when it's not the Flyers.  If I get it on here or there for a few minutes, I'm in good shape.  

I do follow it and "cheer" for whomever has knocked out the Flyers and then typically cheer for whomever comes out of the East.   I sometimes get particularly interested when it's a city that just doesn't (IMO) deserve a Cup.  Like Tampa a few years ago.  Or Carolina.  Or Dallas.    The first two simply because it seems like a dumb place for hockey.  The dumb place for hockey is my opinion for Dallas, as well, but there it's largely just because I hate Dallas.

Trix and I watch as much hockey as we can. NHL network has oldies on after the Cup, we watch. Junior whatever try outs, we're there. If nothing else is on, Trix and I watch "Slapshot!", as we LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE hockey!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be cheering for the Blues if the Flyers miss or get knocked out. Actually easy to root for both teams and if by some freak luck they meet in the finals, you know who I'd be cheering for. Probably a 0.02 % chance the Flyers play the Blues in the finals this year, so not a big deal there anyways. The Blues are a nice story, roll 4 lines with skill and grit....and the prospect of Miller winning his first cup is a nice story line. Hitch has these guys rolling, but the West will be TOUGH to come out of, like I have said many times, don't know if whoever wins the West will have anything left when the finals roll around....that is 3 outright wars they will have to come out of.....

The blues will actually be the one team I'll be cheering hard against. Even if the Blues end up playing the Pens for the Cup I'll suffer another parade on Forbes Avenue.

I never was a fan of Women's golf

The blues will actually be the one team I'll be cheering hard against. Even if the Blues end up playing the Pens for the Cup I'll suffer another parade on Forbes Avenue.

I never was a fan of Women's golf

I know what you mean, everyone has this love affair with the Blues right now, they are the fan favorite, like the cute girl who just transferred into school. Personally while i love the way they play, i have gotten tired of a few friends who are Cardinal fans in baseball and their arrogance so another St. Louis championship would be unbearable, i would not be able to be around them.

In the West, i always like the Hawks (original six) cannot stand the ducks, dont want the Blues, the Kings just won, would rather wake up with my head glued to the floor than root for the Avalanche ever, so i guess it would have to be the Sharks as my team to root for this year. The only problem i have is all those late starting times. I just have a difficult time staying up until 10:30 to watch the puck drop, especially knowing it might go two or three overtimes.

I keep watching, it is liberating as there is less anxiety involved once the Flyers are out. I enjoy the playoffs immensely toughest tournament in pro sports to win, makes for awesome tv viewing, Gregory Campbell finishing his shift on a broken leg? The SCP is only place you see that kind of stuff.

In the West, i always like the Hawks (original six) cannot stand the ducks, dont want the Blues, the Kings just won, would rather wake up with my head glued to the floor than root for the Avalanche ever, so i guess it would have to be the Sharks as my team to root for this year.

I think I would probably cheer for the Hawks, but I feel like such a front-runner doing that.   Others here would understand my aversion to the Blues. Plus, I feel like they are Flyers-west, and not in a good way.  Until they actually prove it, I feel like cheering for them is an epic waste of time and effort.  

I don't have the problem with the Ducks that others seem to, but I don't have that "ooh, I want to cheer for them!" warm and fuzzy feeling.

That realistically leaves the Kings and Sharks.  I kind of like the Kings, but the thought of watching Richards and HighandWide skate with the Cup again gives me reflux.  The Sharks are the Blues further west.

I  would have cheered for the Wild as Cinderella, but they ARE from Minnesota (sorry to HF and Tropical) and Bryz just joined them.   Blek!

So, I'm a front-runner, I guess.    .

Once the Flyers are out, I'll just cheer for whomever is coming from the East and hope for a miracle.

There is nothing in sports better than the Stanley Cup playoffs.  N.O.T.H.I.N.G  

I watch as much playoff hockey as possible.  Like @yave1964, the 10:30 games get tough.  But I'm going to make a point to do it this year.  The Western Conference should be amazing.  Once the Flyers are done, I look at the matchups/series status to prioritize what games to watch, if there are multiple games on at once.    

• Like 1

I continue to watch but honestly have a tough time deciding who I want to follow sometimes.  Last year, I was so disgusted with the Pens washout to the Bruins, I rooted against the Bruins more than FOR the Hawks.  It depends on the way it's won and who is left I suppose.  But yes, I watch till the end.  

As a fan of a team that didn't make the playoffs for a very long time before last year, I can tell you I watch a lot of hockey in the 1st round, and then it fades. By round 3 I've degraded to vague interest, but it picks up a bit in the finals.

For me, the most fun is in the 1st round when it's action packed.

Let's just say that didn't change at all when my team got booted out in the 1st round.

As a fan of a team that didn't make the playoffs for a very long time before last year, I can tell you I watch a lot of hockey in the 1st round, and then it fades. By round 3 I've degraded to vague interest, but it picks up a bit in the finals.

For me, the most fun is in the 1st round when it's action packed.

Let's just say that didn't change at all when my team got booted out in the 1st round.

Agreed with the first round, that is usually the best hockey of the post season, then they start to wear down a bit. But that first round usually produces some of the best hockey in the post season though it is usually forgotten by the time the cup finals rolls around.

• 3 weeks later...

I watch til the end every year. I will never root for LA or Boston though. Like EVER.  It will be fun to root for a team this year that actually HAS a chance at the Cup. I think this is gonna be a real fun playoffs to watch overall.

• 2 months later...