Matt Read, the Flyers next 20 goal man this season?

Read could easily be a first line winger on a weaker team with less depth. Funny how Homer seems to pick very useful players like Read and Simmonds to low ball. I'm happy with it, but why is their "upside" not taken into account like others?

Read could easily be a first line winger on a weaker team with less depth. Funny how Homer seems to pick very useful players like Read and Simmonds to low ball. I'm happy with it, but why is their "upside" not taken into account like others?

Well, in all fairness to Home, he did pay for upside with JvR... the only issue is he traded him. ;)

Not to take this too far off topic and turn this into another Homer thread, but Holmgren does seem to do well signing his own players. It's when he dips into the FA pool that he loses his mind. Coburn: 4 years, 4.5 per for a solid, if unspectacular #2/3 guy on the right side of 30. Mark Streit: 4 years, 5.25 per for an over-35 contract. Simmonds, 6 years, 4 million per for a young power forward coming into his prime. Read, 4 years, 3.7 million. VLC: 4 years, 4.5 million for a guy whose best days are behind him. Both Simmonds and Read are outproducing VLC (.75, .59, .52ppg, respectively).

Holmgren could learn a lot by watching what his next-door neighbor Eagles are doing now. Lock up your good young guys (Which he's pretty good at), build through the draft (Granted that happens faster in the NFL) and use FA for supplements. Don't look for impact guys in free-agency, look for supporting cast, and give out contracts that if they don't work out, don't cripple you.

Read could be a 1st liner here, but Fartsmell has to play somewhere......

(Granted that happens faster in the NFL)

Due to the fact that most contracts have out clauses that allow a NFL player to be dumped for a minimal buyout/payout. It allows WAY more leniency than the NHL contracts.

I was referring to the fact that there's no minor league system. You can't draft a player in the NFL and then send him back to college. If he isn't on your team, he's fair game to any of the other teams in the league. 

It's funny how Holmgren can overpay one guy then sign contracts like Simmonds, Reads, or the one Giroux is presently on.

G's current deal was actually a decent one. Its and escalating contract. When he signed it, the Flyers were under enormous cap pressure and had both Richards and Carter in the fold. He is getting paid 5M this year. But if you look at the circumstance when he signed his initial 3 year extension, it makes sense. 

Next year he will be the 3rd highest player in the league (Crosby #1 and Parise #2). 

I like the progression of his contracts and think its 100% on par with the market and his value. 

• Like 1

His contract and Simmonds' are two of the best that Homer has gotten done. I'm still flabbergasted Simmonds signed for six at under $4M (OK, $3.975M), but happy as heck about it.

Truthfully, that is his / their market value (both Read and Simmonds). For once, the Flyers are paying exactly on par with that the market value is. Given that, what does not show up (and to your point), is the compete level both bring. That is an intangible that can not be ignored and does not show up on the score sheet. 

Truthfully, I think both gave a bit of a home team discount (10% I would say). Particularly Simmonds. He does a tremendous amount of charity work for impoverished kids in the city. Its a long stretch from LA. I also think (despite our pissing and moaning about the old man), speaks volumes about the organization. At the end of the day, its a great place to play pro hockey (ref: Kimmo Timmonen). 

build through the draft (Granted that happens faster in the NFL) 

The NFL isn't drafting 18 year olds though. If you continually build through the draft you should have players continually coming up to the big club. Trading most of your picks gets you the Flyers 30th ranked farm system.

Truthfully, that is his / their market value (both Read and Simmonds). For once, the Flyers are paying exactly on par with that the market value is. Given that, what does not show up (and to your point), is the compete level both bring. That is an intangible that can not be ignored and does not show up on the score sheet. 

Truthfully, I think both gave a bit of a home team discount (10% I would say). Particularly Simmonds. He does a tremendous amount of charity work for impoverished kids in the city. Its a long stretch from LA. I also think (despite our pissing and moaning about the old man), speaks volumes about the organization. At the end of the day, its a great place to play pro hockey (ref: Kimmo Timmonen). 

I would agree that Simmonds' contract is on par with what he "should" be getting "now" - about $3.975M. That said, We've established on other threads that the "market value" for a 20/50 guy is about $4-$4.5M "today." Simmonds has hit that with 15 games to play. It will be his second time at that level, "third" if you project out last season.

The difference arrives when you look at the six year deal and the fact that he's "making" $2.8M this season. If his progression continues on this line - if he establishes himself as a 30-goal guy (28 two years ago, project to 27 last year, project to 26 this year) - IMO he will be "underpaid" by the end of the deal and significantly so. Even a 25-goal guy is at a different salary plateau.

I think Simmonds' value to this organization is much bigger than might be appreciated from his production alone. Even including the "compete" aspect, you note his charity work and I think his work with the Youth Hockey Foundation is big, too.

I will say the number of African-Americans who sport Flyer gear around this town has grown considerably as well in the past few years. It is a very noticeable change.

I am a huge Matt read fan and agree he is a legit year-over-year 20+ goal scorer.  The kid has a great shot and what is more impressive is his overall play.  He is very good defensively and an overall great value to this Team.  I would lump him into the Cooter/Griroux/Schenn/Simmonds untouchable list...

I like him a lot too. I think him and Couturier could play an important role in this team's shutdown line for years to come. He's definitely not going anywhere if I'm in charge. I'd add Mason and Voracek to that list too if for no other reason than I like the fact that this group has been playing together and building chemistry.

• Like 1

@radoran

2B for sure. Heck, in the playoffs you can throw out that notion out altogether, or call it 1B - Cooter's play, and his line's play, will be critical to any playoff success we might have.

Agreed on the familiarity thing and playing together.  I'm a big proponent of keeping pairs together like that. Cooter and Read are becoming a very dangerous PK duo, perfect mix of skill, smarts and speed.

I'm a big fan of pairs as well. It allows you to build chemistry, but also mix things up with that 3rd guy if a team needs a spark without flat out mixing up all 4 lines (which I hate).