Round 1 - Flyers vs Rangers

brelic

Round 1 - Flyers vs Rangers  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will will this first round series?

• Flyers all the way, baby!
    • Rangers

Flyers will win in 6 if they get the first goal in every game and Mason is the same old reliable Mason. They need to take away center ice from the Rangers and match the Rangers aggressiveness. No matter who wins, I think this is at least a 6 game series.  Should be a classic, with a couple of OT games. Thank God there are no more shootouts.

because f' the Rangers.

LOL!  Love it mojo... My hatred for the Rangers has not withered over the years.   As FC eluded to in an earlier post the defensive system the Rags play will be tough for the Flyers.   Not a good first round matchup for the Flyers.   I think they give them a tough series but I look straight at the defense and goaltending in this one - advantage Rags.

Nah, I think this is good for the Flyers. They would have gone into the Pitt series thinking guaranteed win. This puts them back on their heels. Flyers have the offense to beat the rags. And the d has improved by leaps. Goaltending is comparable. Play smart. Stay out of the box.  Don't play Downie. That is all.

Ok, folks, the matchup is set! They split the season series, 2-2, with the home team winning each time.

Regular season series (Series tied 2-2-0)
Oct 24, 2013 New York 1, Philadelphia 2
Jan 12, 2014 Philadelphia 1, New York 4
Mar 1, 2014 New York 2, Philadelphia 4
Mar 26, 2014 Philadelphia 1, New York 3

Flyers have the edge on offense; Rangers have the edge on defense and in goal.

The Flyers recalled Cal Heeter and Jason Akeson. How does it work for playoffs? Does the roster limit increase? I can't remember.

I was reading somewhere that Game 1 is scheduled for Thursday.

GO FLYERS!

What are your thoughts on the series? 

I think the Flyers have more depth. Its going to come down to Mase and King henry. Flyers in 6. 

Rags in 6. I hate to agree with Junkie but its what I felt before I read his stuff so I gotta stick to it.

Its okay, I have CBJ in 6 as well- and that is without  getting the 411 from Junkie.  

"Just looking at him at the morning skate, I couldn't even get a puck by him. Not even close," Johansen said. "He's an unbelievable goaltender. He's the backbone of this team and we count on him."

Never heard a single Penguin ever speak about Flower in that way. 

Edited by Vanflyer

Its okay, I have CBJ in 6 as well- and that is without getting the 411 from Junkie.

"Just looking at him at the morning skate, I couldn't even get a puck by him. Not even close," Johansen said. "He's an unbelievable goaltender. He's the backbone of this team and we count on him."

Never heard a single Penguin ever speak about Flower in that way.

They have... Just not in recent playoffs! Lol

They have... Just not in recent playoffs! Lol

I wish I had a DVR- so I could watch the game. No offense, I am rooting for CBJ. I really like Johansen (and of course Bobs). 

Tell Crosby to watch out for Johnson. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I wish I had a DVR- so I could watch the game. No offense, I am rooting for CBJ. I really like Johansen (and of course Bobs).

Tell Crosby to watch out for Johnson.

None taken Van! Your hatred for my boys is welcome! Lol.

Junkie, did you watch the game last night or just the highlights? Emery was not the reason the Flyers lost last night. There inability to generate shots or sustained offense and the parade of stick penalties in the 3rd period sealed their fate last night.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's obvious what the best match up is for my Pens... The Rags have had the Fly's number, the Fly's have had the Pens', and the Pens have had the Rags. But part of me wants the Flyers to win this one to get a matchup in round two. Oh the fun we could have...

Well the lack of posting here tells me that there are alot of nerves on tomorrow's game?

Could also be that many posters are posting in the half dozen related threads in the Flyers forum.

Why can't you see them?

Oh, right...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Fun story from the 2010 playoff run.

My daughter was precocious 5 year old who had a replica black Flyers sweater, throughout the season she would wear it during the day and the team would win that night, I didn't particularly pay attention to it until the playoffs though where the little mojo sweater went 6 and 1 losing only on the Patrick Kane phantom goal.  She did raise a stink about wearing the sweater twice in one week during the Boston series but for the most part was happy to be wearing her "flyin' shirt"  Today this sweet child loves penguins but not the hockey team " they suck"  needless to say I'm very proud of her, even though, she will not wear sports team gear of any kind... "ugh daddy, what is it with you and the orange and black ?" 

Edited by mojo1917

Rangers - Flyers have the NHL spotlight all to themselves tonight.

Do the Rangers close out Philly not only being the only playoff game going on tonight, but in Philly's own arena?

Or do the Flyers put together a good effort to push things to a deciding Game 7 back in Manhattan?

I always thought Phi-NY in the 1st round was a bit of an even matchup.

Both teams go about their business different ways, yet I honestly would not call one team here winning an 'upset' over the other.

That being said, it WOULD be a minor upset at this point should Philly win because clearly the Rangers are in the driver's seat...and if they can't put Philly away in either this game or next, then they honestly never did deserve to move on anyways.

I have to agree with the triangle dynamic that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

NY seems to have Phi figured....Phi seems to have Pit figured...and Pit seems to have NY figured...  :huh:

Kinda like the NHL version of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' if you ask me... :lol:

At any rate, Flyers have a chance to debunk that entire theory by winning tonight, then taking things to a free-for-all-anything-can-happen final series game 7.

Should be fun tonight!

I think it's obvious what the best match up is for my Pens... The Rags have had the Fly's number, the Fly's have had the Pens', and the Pens have had the Rags. But part of me wants the Flyers to win this one to get a matchup in round two. Oh the fun we could have...

Well stated re: the number thing. 

I too am hoping for a win tomorrow because there is nothing I like better than the Flyers kicking some penguin ass. 

Game 7 is setup to be a crazy ride for sure.

I think Philly will NEED to be very prepared for New York to come out with lots of fire.

Personally, I didn't see the compete level from the Rangers in last night's game and I have a hard time believing they'd put out two lackluster efforts in a row in a playoff series with a heated rival. Just don't see it and will be very shocked if the Flyers roll through this game tonight.

Granted, Mason was there to do all he had to whenever the Rangers did surge, but like I said, I thought the compete level was decidedly in Philly's favor and the Rangers simply have to turn it up a notch or three for Game 7 if they intend to move on.

Really shouldn't be that hard for them to do that seeing as how the game is at home for them, they have the match-ups advantage, fans will be jacked, it's 'do-or die', and it's against the rival Flyers. If they need any further motivation than that...well, then, they may as well reserve that golf course right now......

As for the Philly goalie thing, cmon now...let's stop the pretending that there is even a question about that.

Steve Mason.

Only way Ray Emery gets the start is if something is wrong with Steve Mason.

Would NY play Cam Talbot over a healthy Lundquist? No.

Would the Pens play Zatkoff over a healthy Fleury? No....ummm, well, maybe if it were against the Flyers, seeing as how MAF gets butterflies the size of choppers whenever he sees orange n black.....but of course, that is me being facetious... ;)

It's Steve Mason people.

The Flyers will live and die with their number one netminder. Bottom line.

Brad Richards, MSL, Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, Rick Nash on the forward lines, Girardi, McDonagh, and Stralman on the defense.....some or all of those guys are going to have to put out a much better effort than they did yesterday and be the stars they are supposed to be for the Rangers to solve Mason.

And of course, Henrik Lundquist will need to be in the form that saw him win a Vezina not so long ago.

For me, the schedules work out beautifully.

I can watch this Game 7 in its entirety, and still be able to watch the Wild at the Avalanche for their Game 7 right after that.

Best believe kiddies are getting an early supper, perhaps getting to bed a bit earlier tonight, hubby can have his 'boys night out' ahead of schedule, cuz momma don't wanna be distracted from some epic games tonight! ^_^

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26