If VLC can't be moved, do they move Umberger instead

RonJeremy

Do you think they maybe move Umberger to Nashville if they won't take VLC? We need some cap relief ,so that might be the only alternative. I don't see us being able to unload Grossman until either the trade deadline or if another team loses a dman to a long term injury.

We need some cap relief

if the season started tomorrow, the flyers would be cap-compliant.  with no wiggle room, but still, cap compliant.  matter of fact, as things stand, they could add $1.8mil in cap hit between now and then and still be ok.

not saying the flyers ought to enter the season like that, but they don't *have* to do anything.

I try and look at it from an opposing teams point of view. I really don't want Vinny or Umberger unless i'm getting them at a reduced price, and or a prospect or pick is sent along with one or the other. If I'm an opposing GM and you call wanting to unload a center you have, I'm talking B Schenn or Couturier only, if you're not willing to eat half of Vinny or Umbergers salary. Nashville have good young d-men, I'm not sure why a deal involving B Schenn hasn't been worked out between the two

I try and look at it from an opposing teams point of view. I really don't want Vinny or Umberger unless i'm getting them at a reduced price, and or a prospect or pick is sent along with one or the other. If I'm an opposing GM and you call wanting to unload a center you have, I'm talking B Schenn or Couturier only, if you're not willing to eat half of Vinny or Umbergers salary. Nashville have good young d-men, I'm not sure why a deal involving B Schenn hasn't been worked out between the two

agreed. there's no point in simply giving him away.

perhaps another centerman will get injured, in which case VLC will have some value.

who knows, but the VLC signing was a typical Gomer blunder

Maybe this would be a good time to see what Giroux is worth?

That would be a huge no. Giroux is what makes this club tick. Move him and immediately, the team loses it's single most dynamic player on offense. As well, none of the other centers on this roster can do what Giroux does. There's nobody who is as good as him offensively and more important, there is nobody on this roster who makes players better the way Giroux does. Giroux is definitely the most untouchable player on this roster.

• Like 4

I would not put Ummby in the same class as VLC. He's younger, skates much better, does not float, is not injury prone....you would not have to give away assets to trade him like you would with VLC. I don't think teams would be lining up to take him mind you, but he's not in VLC's boat.

I would not put Ummby in the same class as VLC. He's younger, skates much better, does not float, is not injury prone....you would not have to give away assets to trade him like you would with VLC. I don't think teams would be lining up to take him mind you, but he's not in VLC's boat.

"Injury prone"? He only misses 10-15games a year. How is that injury prone?

Good thing they're not letting this VLC situation affect the rest of the roster...

:ph34r:

It sounds like we have most of our top 12 guys already.

Schenn/G/Jake

Simmonds/VLC/Umberger

Bellemare/Couturier/Read

Akeson/Laughton/Rinaldo

If we accept that Schenn is a winger - at least for this year - then there is a natural spot for Vinny.

Even with Vinny, there are at least 3 question marks in that lineup - Akeson, Bellemare, and Laughton. None are assured a roster spot. So giving away a forward for basically nothing weakens our forward group. Unless, of course, one believes that Schenn is much better suited as 2nd line center.

• Like 1

@radoran  Last I heard, it now takes a *full* 25 games to actually be labeled "injury prone". ....so yeah, going by that, he is somewhere inbetween Gary Unger and Martin Havalet for frequency of injuries.....lol.

Thanks by the way, for the Archer tip....hilarious stuff right there!  I've watched the first 4 episodes, looks like a lot of fun!

@radoran  Last I heard, it now takes a *full* 25 games to actually be labeled "injury prone". ....so yeah, going by that, he is somewhere inbetween Gary Unger and Martin Havalet for frequency of injuries.....lol.

Thanks by the way, for the Archer tip....hilarious stuff right there!  I've watched the first 4 episodes, looks like a lot of fun!

Love Archer - it's quite the ride. :)

Just finished rewatching them again myself.

You have not seen Umberger play lately have you?

His value is even lower than VLC's

• Like 1

You have not seen Umberger play lately have you?

His value is even lower than VLC's

Agree JT... not sure what (If much) that Umberger is going to fetch in a trade. I would put VLC and RJ in the same boat - both declining players on bad contracts.  Still not a fan of the trade frankly and I am in a complete "wait and see" mode to see how this plays out. I like we have 2 less contractual years but not expecting much. The guy was a healthy scratch at the most important juncture of the Jackets season. I am not expecting much...

Well, they traded Hartnell's five years for Umburglar's three so they can just split the difference and keep VLC's four.

#homercoaster

reverse logic Rad...  it never seems to work but they (homer) never hesitates to employ this type of stratergery ;)

reverse logic Rad... it never seems to work but they (homer) never hesitates to employ this type of stratergery ;)

"We might have dealt away our first line LW but at least we created a spot for our 34 year old 2nd line center"

:ph34r:

• Like 2

As I recall RJ was the man the Flyers could always count on to score against the Pens,I don't recall the year,he about destroyed Price in the playoffs(9 goals?). I never understood why the moved him,the story at the time was to free up cash to extend Carter. This guy is a stand -up player something sorely missing here. Sheena seems upbeat!

It sounds like we have most of our top 12 guys already.

Schenn/G/Jake

Simmonds/VLC/Umberger

Bellemare/Couturier/Read

Akeson/Laughton/Rinaldo

If we accept that Schenn is a winger - at least for this year - then there is a natural spot for Vinny.

Even with Vinny, there are at least 3 question marks in that lineup - Akeson, Bellemare, and Laughton. None are assured a roster spot. So giving away a forward for basically nothing weakens our forward group. Unless, of course, one believes that Schenn is much better suited as 2nd line center.

the way hexy was talking laughtons is going back to the minors.. he'd rather have the kids play 20+ minutes a night in the minors instead of 5-10 in the show

the way hexy was talking laughtons is going back to the minors.. he'd rather have the kids play 20+ minutes a night in the minors instead of 5-10 in the show

If the choice is 4th line or AHL time, I agree with Hexy. I also don't doubt that if he belongs on the top 3 lines, he'll stick. I think Raffl is your 4th line center, since they've had ample opportunity to bring back Hall or another veteran for that slot and haven't done so.