Other than yours NHL teams you kinda like

Yorick

I know it's kind of odd since they're a rival of the Sens, but I kind of like the Bruins. I like the Preds (not really surprising since they're the closest team to me), the Flames, Oilers, and Sharks (even if they do tend to choke in the playoffs).

@ScottM  I've been cheering for the Flames and Blue Jackets from afar. I like the way the Jackets have concentrated on defense and then tried to fill in the offensive part of things. They created a nice solid base from which to build on.

The Flames fans have long been suffering. Their previous GM did not have a clue, I like the youth movement there, I'm cheering for the kids to succeed there. The fans deserve it.

@ScottM  I've been cheering for the Flames and Blue Jackets from afar. I like the way the Jackets have concentrated on defense and then tried to fill in the offensive part of things. They created a nice solid base from which to build on.

The Flames fans have long been suffering. Their previous GM did not have a clue, I like the youth movement there, I'm cheering for the kids to succeed there. The fans deserve it.

I really want to see both Alberta teams turn things around. That's not only based on the fact that I'm somewhat partial to the teams, but I'd love to see the "Battle of Alberta" enjoy a resurgence. To me, it's one of the best natural rivalries in the league, in large part because of the real life historical rivalry between the cities.

I like the Preds (not really surprising since they're the closest team to me)

Preds used to be on my list, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth regarding the Trotz firing. I really liked him as a coach and he was one of the reasons I would follow the preds. 

The Jackets. Living so close, getting to a half dozen games a year at Nationwide and only one or two at the Joe t see the Wings....Just wish they were in different conferences.

The Hawks. They are so well built and such a puck control team.

The Jackets. Living so close, getting to a half dozen games a year at Nationwide and only one or two at the Joe t see the Wings....Just wish they were in different conferences.

Did you really write that? The between the lines is you dislike the move from the western conference to the eastern?

Outside of the Lightning and Wild, I can't really say I "like" other teams in anywhere close to the same manner....

However, I have been known from time to time to become a 'pseudo-fan' of franchises for lots of reasons....it may last a season or two, may last a bit longer, but it comes and goes.

Could be the underdog syndrome, but most likely, it is whenever certain teams have certain players I either liked on my teams before and are now playing over there, or simply players I have ALWAYS liked even if they never played for my team.

So, in that sense, I guess I am really more fan of the player than the franchise.

For instance, I have current 'pseudo fandom' as we speak with:

The New York Rangers---they've accumulated over the last couple seasons some ex-Bolts and Wild players I liked before...sometimes all at the same time! Brad Richards, Marion Gaborik, Ruslan Fedotenko, Derek Boogaard, and currently Dominic Moore, Dan Boyle, Martin St. Louis.....and if he makes the cut and straightens himself out, Ryan Malone.

They also have guys like Derek Stepan, Dan Girardi, and Henrik Lundquist who I happen to think are VERY fine players, and wouldn't mind any of those guys on my teams.

The Philadelphia Flyers---yes, this was a difficult one for me, but they do have VLC, and despite the fact that it made me sick to my stomach seeing Vinnie put on orange n black, I DO root for him (would actually like him OUT of Philly...as would most other Flyers fans..hehe), and I do find myself rooting for the Flyers (yikes!!) if they play some other team I have no vested interest in.  Wow...I need meds...I actually said "root for Flyers"  :D

Throw the Chicago Blackhawks in the same boat as the Flyers this year because they picked up Brad Richards.....though that one may be more difficult to deal with because the Hawks are a direct rival to the Minnesota Wild...

Oh, and side note on the Flyers, I can actually say, since I have been on message boards, some of the cooler Flyers fans have made it such that while I may not particularly like Philly, I can be much more civil regarding them, due to the mutual respect I seemed to have garnered with some of their fanbase.

Same can be said of Pens, Bruins, and Leafs fans I have met online.  And believe me, that is saying something when I can compliment Flyers, Pens, Bruins, and Leafs fans.....for the most part, they have been represented to me very well online and all is good there!

Other pseudo-fandoms...

Colorado Avalanche....I like Ryan O'Reilly.

Nate MacKinnon, while I honestly didn't pay a ton of attention to him during the regular season, REALLY opened my eyes during the playoffs...this guy will reach elite status sooner than later...

San Jose Sharks.... I like Marleau and Burns.

St. Louis Blues...honestly, the ONLY reason I put the Blues on here is because they picked up former Minnesota Wild, Nate Prosser. Yea, yea, Prosser will likely be the 6th or 7th d-man with the Blues (hopefully, he will get more of a shot over there, as I think he is worthy of being a regular third pairng, borderline second pairing guy with the right defense partner), but still, he played his heart out with Minnesota and was disappointed the Wild didn't see fit to give him a short two year extension as a bottom pair guy.....no, instead we get to trudge on with Keith 'Freakin' Ballard...

Montreal Canadiens....will give a slight nod to them because I like Brandon Prust, Jared Tinordi, and believe it or not, that PK Subban, warts, agitating personality and all, has kinda grown on me the last two or three seasons.

And finally, will throw out a general like towards the Oilers, Flames, Blue Jackets, and Panthers, well, because they are in underdog status, have some very good players in their cores, and just would like to see them do well.

Whew....no wonder I am worn out on a daily basis...I have WAY too many bandwagons to steer around town!!

But make no mistake: TB Lightning, followed by the Minnesota Wild trumps ALL in head to head taste tests!  :thumbsu:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Now you just need to play fantasy hockey, ;).

I have to admit it is the reason learned to like players of specific teams every year.

@Yorick

I root for the Flyers and Wild.  After that I generally watch the entire NHL for for entertainment with rooting interest for my fantasy teams.  :D

Did you really write that? The between the lines is you dislike the move from the western conference to the eastern?

GOD NO, I am thrilled we moved to the East. It would just be a lot easier to like the Jackets if they were in the West.

My teenage daughter is a huge fan of Dubinsky, she even has an autographed jersey which she wears way too much. She talked smack because the Jackets got the better of the Wngs last year.

The Wings are on decline and boring, the Jackets are young and exuberant, fun to watch. But really, I am very happy to be in the East.

I'm not sure there's any other teams I like as much as there are other teams I respect. I hated the Kings after 2012, but after watching them last year, I respect the hell out of them. Chicago and Boston would also be in that category. And of course I'll always cheer for whoever is playing against the Rangers, Flyers, or Pens. That's just a given.

I'm not sure there's any other teams I like as much as there are other teams I respect. I hated the Kings after 2012, but after watching them last year, I respect the hell out of them. Chicago and Boston would also be in that category. And of course I'll always cheer for whoever is playing against the Rangers, Flyers, or Pens. That's just a given.

Wow, I cannot believe how much the Isles have slipped, they should be a natural on the list of teams that you root against, but thy have been so bad for so long as to be irrelevant in New York.....

Wow, I cannot believe how much the Isles have slipped, they should be a natural on the list of teams that you root against, but thy have been so bad for so long as to be irrelevant in New York.....

I don't have the burning hatred for some of the rivals most Devils fans have because of where I live. I live half the country away so I don't have to deal with Rangers, Flyers, or Islanders fans on a regular basis. And I didn't become a Devils fan until the late 90's, so I'm used to them usually being better than their rivals (except the last 4-5 years).

GOD NO, I am thrilled we moved to the East. It would just be a lot easier to like the Jackets if they were in the West.

My teenage daughter is a huge fan of Dubinsky, she even has an autographed jersey which she wears way too much. She talked smack because the Jackets got the better of the Wngs last year.

The Wings are on decline and boring, the Jackets are young and exuberant, fun to watch. But really, I am very happy to be in the East.

Gotcha. Thats great that your daughter loves ice hockey. My (almost) 3 year old does as well. Sadly, I live in the tropics so the best I can do is watch on tv with her. However they are building and ice arena about an hour from me and for her b-day, she is going to get a pair of skates. 

I don't watch much wings, so I can't comment on the boring part. That said, I really do like the Blue Jackets and Dubinsky is a really nice player. I really like Jack Johnson as well and very happy that he could resurrect his career. I did really like Johansen (and still sort of do), but his contract demands have left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. 

OK. I guess the global warming is a real thing now.

Not sure about global, but I can certainly tell you its HOT and HUMID here. I am climatized and still sweat like a pig just taking a 5 minute walk to the general store. 

That said, I really can't complain, crystal clear unpolluted blue waters with white sandy beaches. The irony is that we (my family) rarely go. We opt for the local swimming pool (less work I guess and more convenience). 

Our typhoon season is almost over and we only got slammed once this season. 

Archived