I would move Couturier to Center between G and Jake

Mario99

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes sense.... take our top line that has had barely any chance to get some chemistry going and screw it up.

You should text berube your idea.

No... txt hextall and maybe he'll make you head coach. :confused[1]:

While Simmonds is down see what happens with Couturier centering G and Jake

Your post makes me think of a line from Bob Dylans "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again":

>And I said "Oh I didn't know that
But then again there's only one I've met
And he just smoked my eyelids
And punched my cigarette"<

While Simmonds is down see what happens with Couturier centering G and Jake

That makes zero sense you should focus on Montreal and when will they ever get a 1st line Center...hey I heard Kiovu is available!

I've said it before on another board that moving Giroux back to the wing and having Couturier center the top line might be the best thing for this club. Giroux ends up taking less of a pounding in the future and Couturier's offensive game benefits from working with Giroux and Voracek. You have a solid second line of Read - Schenn - Simmonds, the third line remains in tact of Umberger - Lecavalier - Raffl and finally a fourth of Rinaldo - Bellemare - Akeson. It could work really well.

I've said it before on another board that moving Giroux back to the wing and having Couturier center the top line might be the best thing for this club.

I had not thought of that option...I could actually see that working out and killing a few birds with one stone kinda thing. You get the increased offensive role out of Cooter, and the added bonus of Coot's vision...that combined with G and V would be wicked. Cooter instantly becomes a 65-70 pt guy playing with G all year. Don't know how the rest of the team would shake up, but gives you a LOT more flexibility moving forward.

I've said it before on another board that moving Giroux back to the wing and having Couturier center the top line might be the best thing for this club. Giroux ends up taking less of a pounding in the future and Couturier's offensive game benefits from working with Giroux and Voracek. You have a solid second line of Read - Schenn - Simmonds, the third line remains in tact of Umberger - Lecavalier - Raffl and finally a fourth of Rinaldo - Bellemare - Akeson. It could work really well.

this is definitely some food for thought, it is not like Couturier doesn't have the brains to play with those guys...you do lose 14's shut down abilities but then there's that Laughton kid that can maybe work into the lineup.

this is not a bad idea.

people need to think outside the box a little...like this.

@mojo1917  I agree, the line-up that BC16 posted is the best one I've seen to this point.  It's a very balanced group, our very best chance at incorporating VLC into the offense and getting a respectable return on his outrageous deal. All 4 lines have some nice moxy/push back and a respectable skill set on each line also.

How did I know who originally made this post before even looking? Why even bother boys... Why?

I thought exactly the same thing, but a broken clock and all that. It's actually (surprisingly?) worth considering.

@canoli

@pilldoc

@murraycraven

@ruxpin

It is an interesting proposition, regardless of where it came from.

The logic, while not unassailable is there, Less wear and tear on Giroux who goes back to the "Play making RW " like it says on my rookie card. 14 is big and smart and will be able to possess the puck and deal to two guys with good shots... I can see where people would say there isn't a great finisher or "true finisher" on the top line, so G would probably have to adjust his game a little, and i think Jake needs to shoot more too so that may be a problem that works itself out.  A second line of Schenn, Read and Simmonds has potential to be a grinding physical line with some good speed, and it does help with the VLC sucks issue.  It gives him a defined role and linemates that can help him succeed.   I think this isn't a bad idea.

@canoli

@pilldoc

@murraycraven

@ruxpin

It is an interesting proposition, regardless of where it came from.

The logic, while not unassailable is there, Less wear and tear on Giroux who goes back to the "Play making RW " like it says on my rookie card. 14 is big and smart and will be able to possess the puck and deal to two guys with good shots... I can see where people would say there isn't a great finisher or "true finisher" on the top line, so G would probably have to adjust his game a little, and i think Jake needs to shoot more too so that may be a problem that works itself out.  A second line of Schenn, Read and Simmonds has potential to be a grinding physical line with some good speed, and it does help with the VLC sucks issue.  It gives him a defined role and linemates that can help him succeed.   I think this isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, it's really not a bad idea.  It's actually the best construction of lines I've seen.

@mojo1917

@canoli

@murraycraven

@ruxpin

No it is not a bad idea just surprised at the origin.  I generally take the OP posts with a grain of salt and generally they don't amount to much.  Therefore I blew this one off as such.  In hindsight this one deserved more legit attention.  You know the saying, the blind squirrel sometimes finds the nut. :)

Yeah, it's not really a bad lineup. If you want to develop Couturier's offensive game, this is a pretty good look for him. One big minus I see is a 5% drop in FO% from Giroux at 52 to Couturier at 47. But he was only 21 last season, so it's not like that can't improve.

I also wonder about the defensive responsibility of the 2nd and 3rd lines with Couturier all the way up ont he 1st. Schenn has never struck me as a defensive dynamo, and VLC is VLC. Umberger and Read will provide some defense, but you no longer have that shutdown line.

Yeah, it's not really a bad lineup. If you want to develop Couturier's offensive game, this is a pretty good look for him. One big minus I see is a 5% drop in FO% from Giroux at 52 to Couturier at 47. But he was only 21 last season, so it's not like that can't improve.

I also wonder about the defensive responsibility of the 2nd and 3rd lines with Couturier all the way up ont he 1st. Schenn has never struck me as a defensive dynamo, and VLC is VLC. Umberger and Read will provide some defense, but you no longer have that shutdown line.

I think with the Schenn line you protect them with offensive zone starts...not all that different from what he's been used to here, if those guys start to play well in their own end they can be used interchangeably with the VLC sucks llne a sort of 2a & 2b if you will.

Like I said there are definitely points to discuss and holes that can be poked ( rather easily) through the thought of 93 , 14, 28 playing together.  I did think the idea had some merit and was worth kicking around a little,  it holds as much if not more interest to me as whether or not Rod Brind'Amour liked Philadelphia .  

Archived