hextall has to get his own coach

briere48

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@canoli

How about this for shits and giggles:  If the 5-6 people you keep recycling into the shootout ain't getting it done, you try some other hands until those 5-6 get some imagination in their attempts.  What do you have to lose?  Hell, Luke Schenn, Schultz, and Grossman can go 0-3 just as well as Giroux, Voracek, and Read can.

I don't understand how you can go to a shootout following a game in which Simmonds has scored twice and NOT let him try his hand at the shootout.  True story:  they've done that!

we---ll... Giroux is 40-something% lifetime so he's okay. But the rest I agree, try everybody who's dressed.

Simmonds scores twice but he's not in the SSO. That was bizarre...until I read he's 1-8 lifetime. Voracek too, same stat and also Couturier. Those are baaaad numbers. Anyone on this board could go 1-8.

we---ll... Giroux is 40-something% lifetime so he's okay. But the rest I agree, try everybody who's dressed.

Simmonds scores twice but he's not in the SSO. That was bizarre...until I read he's 1-8 lifetime. Voracek too, same stat and also Couturier. Those are baaaad numbers. Anyone on this board could go 1-8.

Yeah, Giroux is 4x%   The other "typical" shooters are 12.5%.

With that, it's unlikely you're going to get more than 1 out of 3 on any given shootout.  That's a heck of a lot of pressure on your goalie.

Someone check my math, I think this is horribly wrong.  But on any given shootout attempt, if it's Giroux (42%ish without looking), Voracek (12.5%) and Couturier (12.5%) as your lineup, that gives you about a 6% chance of scoring more than one point, right?   So (rounding) that gives you a second goal in a 3-chance shoot out one out of every 10 games.

Or do what Blysma did - a strip shootout practice. Score? Hit the showers, your day is done. Miss, lose a piece of equipment and get back in line.

hmmm after a few misses I might be scarred for life. :P

The Devils went 0-13 last year in the shootout. So i'm no math scholar by any means but if my calculator is working that is 13 points lost right there. That would have dramatically changed their seeding they would have been in the playoffs not out.

Or they could have just won 3 more games.

I despise the shoot out. Its a gimmick. The Devils got a pt for making it to OT. So 0-13 in shootouts, while an atrocious record, should be a non factor. If you need to win a skills competition to make the playoffs, then you should not even be in the playoffs.

Or they could have just won 3 more games.

I despise the shoot out. Its a gimmick. The Devils got a pt for making it to OT. So 0-13 in shootouts, while an atrocious record, should be a non factor. If you need to win a skills competition to make the playoffs, then you should not even be in the playoffs.

Absolutely agree...... I hate the shoot out with a passion.  Your argument is just as valid...just win regulation.  However, I think the point OC was trying to make was that if you do make it to the shoot out that a team should not be leaving points on the ice because they suck in shoot outs.  I agree, the shoot outs shouldbe a non-factor, however, that is what the current NHL regime wants.  For the time being we have to deal with it.  Therefore if there is a point to be gained via the shoot, then you should do whatever is necessary to secure that point.  It literally could mean either making or missing the playoffs.

But I'm with you....games should not be decided by the NHL's version of the ice capades aka a skills competition known as the shoot out.

Therefore if there is a point to be gained via the shoot, then you should do whatever is necessary to secure that point. It literally could mean either making or missing the playoffs.

Good point and valid to OC's comment as well. I just think it sucks all the way around. The fact that a team has to practice 1-on-1 is pitiful in my mind.

It is evident, however, that what they are doing hasn't been particularly effective.

Wish i could but i can't argue that point. I'm at a lose for words. I hope they can figure it out.....cause i can't.

@ruxpin  I think the Flyers should practice the shoot out also seems like pure common sense. Having said that, I'm sure you can work on stuff...approach, angle etc...but it seems to be one of those things where you have *it* or you don't. A pure goal scorer/sniper should have a whack of different tricks in his bag. Maybe that is one of the problems here, the Flyers lack pure goal scorers. I know some goal scorers struggle at the shoot out skill, but for the most part, if you fill the net during regulation, it usually transfers over to the shoot out.

One thing I've been kicking around in my head....I think Ghost will help immensely during shoot outs. He's so creative, can generate enough speed to confuse goalies and he will be able to create lightning quick shooting angle changes due to his ability to shift and criss cross so quickly. I can see him being one of the top 3 along with G and V....he's gonna help a lot.

One other thing to look forward to, Ghost is so fast, he should generate a fair amount of penalty shots. His speed will force opponents to take him down, resulting in 2 to 4 penalty shot chances per year....or something close to that range.

Part of me wants to see Ghost this year, but I think he's special enough to have a legit run at the Calder *if* he had a full year to compete for the trophy. Of course, you don't make decisions based on stuff like that, but man oh man, would it ever be nice to see a Flyers name on the Calder!!

One thing I've been kicking around in my head....I think Ghost will help immensely during shoot outs. He's so creative, can generate enough speed to confuse goalies and he will be able to create lightning quick shooting angle changes due to his ability to shift and criss cross so quickly.

but why?? Even a 4th line scrub should be able to score on an nhl goalie1-on-1.

No...Bryz and Leaky aren't NHL goalies. Nor would any other goalie that regularly lets a Blair Betta score on them. Every breakaway doesn't score, and that's because of NHL level goalie talent.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-shootout-statistics/2013/

Really? Because of the 30 players who had 10 or more s/o attempts last year, nine scored on 50% or more.

The best guy - oshie - was 75%

Patrick Kane was 1 of 11.

Maybe they should try Rinaldo?

Every breakaway doesn't score, and that's because of NHL level goalie talent.

Yes, but we are talking nhl players in general. And while your point is valid re: NHL goalie skills, the same is true with NHL shooter skills. 

If you need to win a skills competition to make the playoffs, then you should not even be in the playoffs.

The Capitals, Maple Leafs and Islanders finished in the top 5 in shootout wins last year.  They did not make the playoffs.  Bruins, Flyers, Ducks, Stars, Rangers, 4th through 8th fewest shootout wins, all made the playoffs.  It's not Hockey and needs to go.

I like the idea of practicing on scoring before it reaches the skills competition.  5th in the league in scoring, although their 5 on 5 play still isn't what it should be.  At least you can't blame the defense for losing once it gets to the shootouts.

It's not Hockey and needs to go.

Absolutely agree.

I like the idea of practicing on scoring before it reaches the skills competition.

I agree with this, too. But if the "skills competition" is going to result in awarding HALF of the points of a win, I think it might be worthwhile to at least try to do better at it.

How do you fire a coach who took an 0-7 team (that looked complelely lost on that ice) to the 5th seed?

How do you fire the same coach for being 0-2-2 (due almost entirely to defensive breakdowns) when his top 2 d men are out with injuries?

Now they're a game under .500 points wise (the knot wise that matters) and I think we all know they can do better.

I agree, we don't know quite what chief's system is, but when they're clicking, these guys play like the kings when they're clicking.

I can't get on the new coach bandwagon at all at this point. Seems silly. Really silly.

Hitch was the wrong coach for that team. Who knows what chief is at this point in the season.

The time for Hextall to change coaches was in the offseason. Let's not forget that pretty much this same group had one of the best records in the NHL after October last year. Four games in and the results aren't good, but the sample size is too small to jump to any conclusions about what problems there actually are.

Archived