MDZ - sign to a new deal or not?

off_the_post

MDZ is on a one year deal.  At some point the Flyers will need to decide if they want to sign him to another contract or not.  I don't know if 9 games is enough to judge.  Of course there are cap issues to consider too.

As mentioned in the game #9 LA game thread by OccamsRazor, MDZ lead the entire team in ice time with 26:25 minutes .  His minutes were obviously bolstered by the injuries.  However the ice time has to bode well for him.  Personally I think the more skating dmen the Flyers have the better.  As of game 9 I would think the flyers would be leaning toward a new contract perhaps a 2 or 3 year deal though it is still too early to call his agent.

Perhaps this is a year long thread until a decision is made?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@off_the_post

I think it's still to early to tell.  He does have flashes but I don't think 9 games is enough to make a definitive decision. 

Hopefully they're watching his attitude as well.  If I remember correctly, it was an issue with him previously. 

It would be great if he had an epiphany and continued to do well.  He is young and appears to have the talent to be a nice defenceman.

There is absolutely no rush. If I was MDZ, I wouldn't want to sign this early and if I'm the Flyers I haven't seen enough yet.

24 years old and a nice potential reclamation.

I'm thinking into 2015 at this point.

If he continues to progress the way he is through January I would have no problem trying to keep him in the fold going forward.   He is still young and has upside.  He got a raw deal in NY with Torts who had worn out his welcome with most of the team and he found himself in the doghouse.   He was never really a fit in Nashville for what Trotz does defensively.  At this point, however, I still need to see more. 

Lost a longer post, so summary: He's looked pretty good to me, and the stats generally back that up, but it's a small sample size. There's no reason for anyone to do a deal now, so wait on it and see if he continues to provide value.

I don't know that you can say they look better without a guy who played 18 minutes in one game and did not give up a goal against (Coburn). I do think they look better without MacDonald, who has poor possession stats and tends to bring down the stats of those who play with him the most.

@off_the_post

I have been pleased with MDZ  he seems like a fit with rest of the core,  he's a very good skater I really like his shot.

he's not been a dog in the defensive zone as yet,  he looks like he's playing for a contract or at the very least playing like he wants to stay in the NHL. 

I think if his play continues at this level or improves I would extend his contract i don't feel a rush to do so but think he would be a part of my plans going forward.

Edit: this might be a good topic to sticky...

I don't think now is the time. I'd wait till the rest of the D pieces come back and see where the chips fall. Maybe after the Christmas break. 

What I do know is Luke Schenn is God awful, but that is another topic.

When the rest of the D come back I could see Luck Schenn being the number 7 with Schultz taking his place.  Schultz seems to quietly going about his business.  Either way it would seem MDZ would slot back in at the number 5/6 spot based on playing time recently. 

Back to signing MDZ - what if he has a good year?  Would signing him now while he is still unproved save some money against the cap?

When the rest of the D come back I could see Luck Schenn being the number 7 with Schultz taking his place.  Schultz seems to quietly going about his business.  Either way it would seem MDZ would slot back in at the number 5/6 spot based on playing time recently. 

Back to signing MDZ - what if he has a good year?  Would signing him now while he is still unproved save some money against the cap?

I said this in another post...  Luke needs to be benched or traded.   I am more confident w/ Schultz out there than Schenn honestly.  

Schultz seems to quietly going about his business.

Yes he does. Where he was sticking out early for a few bad gaffes, he seems to have corrected his blatant errors. His positioning has improved greatly and he seems to be where he should be now instead of missing rotations.Part of that might be as simple as getting playing time with a steady partner. Schultz would probably be a 3rd pairing on most squads but this is the Flyers D we are talking about....

I also agree with flyercanuck about there is no pressing need to sign MDZ before the end of the season. Let him earn the contract he desires.

Schultz has the 2nd best +/- among Dmen on the team. Flawed stat and all that, but...

L. Schenn is a -8. Edit: that's 3rd worst in the league. Only Ekman-Larsson (-11) and Meszaros (-10) are worse.

Meszaros (-10) are worse.

Well, in defense of Meszaros (all pun intended), he gets 10 gapped girls after the game to do the nasty for every - he gets. As an added bonus- rumur has it that he is cheuffered in a chevy lumina and they stop off at Applebees afterwards for snacks (aka frozen halibut).

MDZ is on a one year deal.  At some point the Flyers will need to decide if they want to sign him to another contract or not.  I don't know if 9 games is enough to judge.  Of course there are cap issues to consider too.

to me, you don't even think about it until after jan 1.  if he's still at a ~.5 p/g pace, you start talking.  if he's cooled off, you leave talks until after the season.  i wouldn't necessarily plan on leveraging it, but he is still RFA after this contract; there is no rush to get him resigned unless he really looks amazing and you're afraid the price tag will only go up as the season goes on.

so far he looks pretty ok, but not quite amazing.  wait it out a bit.

Has MDZ really impressed that much? I'm not being critical, I'm asking honestly. I only really got to watch a game last night against the Kings and he was underwhelming. I know there is worse on our team but he didn't seem to be great.

i thought he played tough minutes against big fast dudes and played well on the whole last night.

he did have the bouncing puck skip over him on the PP that lead to Tiffoli's breakaway...but that puck gets past everyone not named Doughty or Keith.

He got smoked by Pearson....but news flash lots of people will get smoked by Pearson, he's got legit crazy speed.  other than that, he was where he was supposed to be, out against top 6 forwards, moved the puck well.  i've been pleased with his play.

Schultz has the 2nd best +/- among Dmen on the team. Flawed stat and all that, but...

I was somewhat surprised when you pointed that out in chat (I still don't see why he's on the ice with 45 seconds to go in a tie game, but I digest...) but it does make a little more sense upon reflection.

He strikes me as the "Andrew Alberts" kind of guy who doesn't do anything particularly well, but tries to stay in position and not make dumb plays.

i thought he played tough minutes against big fast dudes and played well on the whole last night.

he did have the bouncing puck skip over him on the PP that lead to Tiffoli's breakaway...but that puck gets past everyone not named Doughty or Keith.

He got smoked by Pearson....but news flash lots of people will get smoked by Pearson, he's got legit crazy speed.  other than that, he was where he was supposed to be, out against top 6 forwards, moved the puck well.  i've been pleased with his play.

I'm not too concerned about the bouncing puck play and for the reasons you mentioned. He just looked like he wasn't very physical. 

He strikes me as the "Andrew Alberts" kind of guy who doesn't do anything particularly well, but tries to stay in position and not make dumb plays.

agreed, there.  faceless jobber, but entirely functional in a 6-7 role.

I'm not too concerned about the bouncing puck play and for the reasons you mentioned. He just looked like he wasn't very physical.

I don't remember "physical " as being part of his game so if that's what you are looking for...I can see where you'd be undelighted.

I thought he battled along the boards well enough and used his stick well in those battles to separate it from the man he was checking.

Archived