Flyers cap hell stat of the day....

jammer2

Man oh man, is this ever depressing. Flyers have just over 19 mill of cap space, or under one third of their 69 mill of cap space allotted to 4 players....VLC, Ummby, Streit and McDonald. All are signed for multiple years. Just a unmitigated  disaster of major proportions. No wonder Hexy is in tough. Even though Ummby is his doing....the mess Homer left this team in is outrageous.

Good Lord....Ummby the second highest paid forward on the team....really?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/team/Philadelphia-Flyers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homer - the gift that keeps on giving

You should just start calling Holmgren "Herpes" instead of "Homer".  You have both forever it seems and they always flare up at the wrong time. For instance, when you want to sign a free agent or make a pick in the 2nd round of a draft.

You should just start calling Holmgren "Herpes" instead of "Homer".  You have both forever it seems and they always flare up at the wrong time. For instance, when you want to sign a free agent or make a pick in the 2nd round of a draft.

I was thinking more like "boobonic plague" (slight spelling adjustment from original), but yours was good also.  :D

@jammer2

That was my issue with the Hartnell / Umburger trade... I thought you could've dumped Hartnell to a decent team looking for a top six forward and get a couple picks and out of the contract. Moot point now.

in EA NHL15 that was possible..columbus was the only team that called

Now that was funny^^^^^^^^

Man oh man, is this ever depressing. Flyers have just over 19 mill of cap space, or under one third of their 69 mill of cap space allotted to 4 players....VLC, Ummby, Streit and McDonald. All are signed for multiple years. Just a unmitigated  disaster of major proportions. No wonder Hexy is in tough. Even though Ummby is his doing....the mess Homer left this team in is outrageous.

Good Lord....Ummby the second highest paid forward on the team....really?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/team/Philadelphia-Flyers

Wow, 20% of our cap spent on 4 players who are not part of the core.

The only one in that list that is decent in any way is Streit - he's kinda become the new Timonen.

in EA NHL15 that was possible..columbus was the only team that called

Sure, if they HAD to "get out from under the contract" immediately.

There was no pressure to do so. There was no pressing need.

They could have waited until the deadline. They could have waited two years and still gotten more "relief" and no commitment to a player for a year beyond that.

They sold low, unnecessarily.

@Polaris922

The only problem with trading Hartnell to a decent team looking for a top 6 forward is they wouldn't pickup the remaining 5 years for picks, any smart gm would want to send a bad contract back to the Flyers.

Again, this assumes that the team HAD to deal Hartnell this past offseason.

They didn't have to, at all.

They could do it this upcoming deadline if the right situation presented itself. They could do it two years from now when the commitment wouldn't have been as long.

As it is, they're hoping to "showcase" VLC to then unload the next three years of his deal AND they're still stuck with Umburglar.

That said, the possibility of Umburglar still getting bought out remains a distinct possibility. Then they're just stuck with (IIRC) a $1.6M cap hit for four years.

That said, the possibility of Umburglar still getting bought out remains a distinct possibility. Then they're just stuck with (IIRC) a $1.6M cap hit for four years.

I really think this is what happens. 

My goodness - the amount of money this team spends on players not playing for them is astonishing. With one year's worth of the Flyers' wasted money, I could feed my family and my sister's family for life.

I really think this is what happens. 

My goodness - the amount of money this team spends on players not playing for them is astonishing. With one year's worth of the Flyers' wasted money, I could feed my family and my sister's family for life.

True, but they are still spending on payroll about what they were spending back in the Lindros years. Maybe less.

That's pretty damn good from a "business" perspective.

Money really means nothing to the Flyers. Comcast (almost) literally has more money than God and the Flyers are tremendously profitable for the company as a whole even if the "Flyers" portion "loses" money (CSN, cable subscriptions, etc.).

True, but they are still spending on payroll about what they were spending back in the Lindros years.

Not because they're fiscally responsible but because there's a hard cap.

Money really means nothing to the Flyers. Comcast (almost) literally has more money than God and the Flyers are tremendously profitable for the company as a whole even if the "Flyers" portion "loses" money (CSN, cable subscriptions, etc.).

Totally agree - money is no object when it comes to Comcast, and by extension it seems, the Flyers. I was just pointing out how many bad business decisions they've made.

Sure, if they HAD to "get out from under the contract" immediately.

There was no pressure to do so. There was no pressing need.

They could have waited until the deadline. They could have waited two years and still gotten more "relief" and no commitment to a player for a year beyond that.

They sold low, unnecessarily.

Well, I feel like Hexy came in with a 5 year plan. I think dumping Hartnell's contract dump was ridding them of 2 years of problems cap wise. There's been numerous studies, already, about the Umby/Fartsmell trade and the merits of it. It's basically a wash with the main advantage being the loss of 2 years of a cap heavy contract. 

I really think we're looking at a 5 year rebuild that no one in Flyer's mgmt will ever call a rebuild. In 5 years time, though, we should be clear of most of our cap problems... have a stable stockpile of young talent and emerging talents... and with the expected cap increases... we could be good. 

Well, I feel like Hexy came in with a 5 year plan. I think dumping Hartnell's contract dump was ridding them of 2 years of problems cap wise. There's been numerous studies, already, about the Umby/Fartsmell trade and the merits of it. It's basically a wash with the main advantage being the loss of 2 years of a cap heavy contract. 

I really think we're looking at a 5 year rebuild that no one in Flyer's mgmt will ever call a rebuild. In 5 years time, though, we should be clear of most of our cap problems... have a stable stockpile of young talent and emerging talents... and with the expected cap increases... we could be good. 

I am curious to see if Umburglar gets bought out. If his production continues as it is, he likely will be. That lowers the cap hit from $4.75M for Hartnell to a $1.6M buyout and at least gives some more flexibility there.

Clearly Hextall didn't want Hartnell here, for whatever reason. It's all wudder under the bridge at this point,

I am curious to see if Umburglar gets bought out. If his production continues as it is, he likely will be. That lowers the cap hit from $4.75M for Hartnell to a $1.6M buyout and at least gives some more flexibility there.

Clearly Hextall didn't want Hartnell here, for whatever reason. It's all wudder under the bridge at this point,

yeah... I think his main reason for getting rid of Hartnell was declared as 'speed'. Which, is kinda confusing because Umbsy seems pretty slow himself. Possibly it was with the added benefit that Umbsy kills penalties instead of takes them... for the most part. 

Admittedly, this deal is somewhat of a head scratcher from a few different angles. Umbsy was probably going to be bought out and Fartsmell is currently the better player. Maybe we have big plans for that 4th round pick!? 

Umbsy has been pretty terrible, though. That makes the deal look quite bad, but if we hold it up next to the JVR/Schenn deal... it looks great! Always a silver lining. ;)

@Polaris922

The only problem with trading Hartnell to a decent team looking for a top 6 forward is they wouldn't pickup the remaining 5 years for picks, any smart gm would want to send a bad contract back to the Flyers.

Not if it were trade deadline time and a GM is looking for that one guy that just fits... Even if we're just a third rounder you'd be better off than Umberger's contract.

Not if it were trade deadline time and a GM is looking for that one guy that just fits... Even if we're just a third rounder you'd be better off than Umberger's contract.

Don't forget that Hartnell had an NMC - that's what makes me believe that Hextall saw an opportunity and took it. Who knows when or if that would have come around again. You need a triple coincidence of a team interested in Hartnell, Hartnell willing to waive his NMC, and Hextall happy enough with the return to pull the trigger.

If they buy him out they have to absorb a size able cap hit for twice as many years as he has left on his contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work

Don't forget that Hartnell had an NMC - that's what makes me believe that Hextall saw an opportunity and took it. Who knows when or if that would have come around again. You need a triple coincidence of a team interested in Hartnell, Hartnell willing to waive his NMC, and Hextall happy enough with the return to pull the trigger.

He agreed to go to Columbus... I think the NMC would be a non-factor if a team making a playoff run wanted him.

Archived