Who's on board...

Podein25

Blow it up, eh?

Or 

The tank?

Yes.

Do you want to blow it up or are you illustrating the Flyers defensive team speed?  :)

Yes.

Who knew it could have so meanings?! But yeah, not too late to tank. Get a top 5 pick at least. Some great players will be around in that top 5-7

I hate tanking. There's nothing worse than a team taking advantage of it's fan base by icing a non-competitive team and then expecting that by some miracle, they land the first overall choice with the expectation that said player is the savior of the franchise and will lift them to new heights. The Flyers certainly don't need to blow things up or tank. They definitely need to retool, but it won't take much to fix what's broken. There's a good nucleus of talent already in place, they have some very good prospects in the pipeline and if they can get a high pick, it will go a long way in the retool. If they can move out some of the pieces that don't fit, they're going to free up some cap space and they should be able to land a decent player or two in free agency and help reshape the club. But to tank? That's inexcusable.

I guess my point is that I see no point in maintaining any illusions about this team being a playoff team. Far from it. So I'm happy to watch (not actually watch, that's too painful) them continue on their lousy way. Make no changes. Don't fire Chief. Don't make trades (except for deadline deals for guys like Coburn where team is desperate for depth and overpays with high picks). Just keep sucking. The rest will take care of itself.

I guess my point is that I see no point in maintaining any illusions about this team being a playoff team. Far from it. So I'm happy to watch (not actually watch, that's too painful) them continue on their lousy way. Make no changes. Don't fire Chief. Don't make trades (except for deadline deals for guys like Coburn where team is desperate for depth and overpays with high picks). Just keep sucking. The rest will take care of itself.

Yeah. We don't really need to tank. Just continue what we're doing.

Yeah. We don't really need to tank. Just continue what we're doing. 

Exactly. Don't. Change. A. Thing.

(ok, but seriously, couldn't Chief play McDud even more minutes, give Emery some more starts, put Grossman on the PP, have Vinne kill penalties etc? Every little bit helps.) 

The difference is the 40 fans that go to Sixers games versus the ticked off sold-out crowds that go to Flyers games.  The Flyers can't all out tank or they're will be a mutiny, and the last thing Snider wants are empty seats.  The tank is great in theory, not in application. The Sixers aren't completely stupid, until you realize they are basing their plan on two very high draft picks who are coming off very serious injuries. Good ol Hinkie may yet lose his job over those picks. Completely tanking means you truly believe your entire team is crap. Keep in mind we have a guy tied for the league lead in points, and a very good goalie. 

I really really hope that Hextall trades MacDonald and then buys out either Vinny or Umberger. I doubt they would buy out both - too much dead cap space. 

Then we'd only be left with one bad contract for a few years. It's manageable.

Honestly, just getting rid of those two players I think would actually increase the product on the ice - which is kind of anti-tank move :)

That Patrick Kane draft worked out so well for Philly...

That wasn't tanking, they flat out sucked then and now. At least now they are not that horrible and won't finish last. If they finish where they are now in the standings then they have a shot at the top 5 pick to get a good player.

That wasn't tanking, they flat out sucked then and now. At least now they are not that horrible and won't finish last. If they finish where they are now in the standings then they have a shot at the top 5 pick to get a good player.

We had 20 points last year at this point - this year we have 19.

Unless we repeat the magical run we had last year, the Flyers will probably end up in the bottom 8-10 teams.

Other than perhaps that arrogant, senile, team-destructive lunatic Ed Snider, I highly doubt any sensible person can pretend any longer that this is a good team. 

That said, I have never been a fan of tanking, no matter what the circumstances are.  If you are destined to go out, go out with fire.  There is nothing worse than an intentional defeatest attitude. And what signal does it send to the young kids on the team?  That the team doesn't want to win? 

But hey, that's just my viewpoint....

That said, I have never been a fan of tanking, no matter what the circumstances are. 

I think there's a misunderstanding about what tanking really is. There is no way that NHL players are ever asked to not play their best or to throw games - and if they were, none of them would do it. And there is no way that an NHL coach intentionally throws games either.

When we speak of tanking, I would think that the only person who can truly do anything about that is the GM. Even then, if the Flyers trade away their high priced blueliners and a few expensive contracts up front, does that make Hextall a defeatist? Or someone who is moving pieces as part of a bigger picture and positioning himself for the future?

A lot of times, it is just a matter of perspective.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what tanking really is. There is no way that NHL players are ever asked to not play their best or to throw games - and if they were, none of them would do it. And there is no way that an NHL coach intentionally throws games either.

When we speak of tanking, I would think that the only person who can truly do anything about that is the GM. Even then, if the Flyers trade away their high priced blueliners and a few expensive contracts up front, does that make Hextall a defeatist? Or someone who is moving pieces as part of a bigger picture and positioning himself for the future?

A lot of times, it is just a matter of perspective.

Well, OK, I think what you are describing could be best called "rebuilding", which is distinctly different from tanking.  And that I actually *would* be on board with. 

Well, OK, I think what you are describing could be best called "rebuilding", which is distinctly different from tanking.  And that I actually *would* be on board with. 

Sure, I guess. I wasn't being critical of what you were saying - I think I was just trying to get it clear in my own head. 

Like the infamous Pens luncheon sounds like they actually had a plan to finish last so they could grab Mario. *That* was tanking! :)

Archived